This weeks 'Teams Like Morecambe' Post

This weeks 'Teams Like Morecambe' Post

Postby Neil G » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:28 pm

From the shrews forum

Just Got Back

Rubbish, flat performance. Goal an absolute joke.

And just how are Morecambe a league club? Less than 2,000 of 'em there today.

PMSL :lol: :lol: don't you just love a sour loser :lol: :lol:
Neil G

Re: This weeks 'Teams Like Morecambe' Post

Postby Neil G » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 pm

author=shrewscrew board=general thread

Morecambe are a poor side,we should be going to places like this and picking up maximum points.

Another one :lol: :lol:
Neil G

Postby shrimper » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:02 pm

We had our fun out of those types of comments last season, you'd think they'd learn. Is this Shrewsbury who were with us in the Conference recently, by any chance?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ezz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:34 pm

No this is the Shrewsbury that should be pissing this tin pot league i think :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Curly » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Nice to hear them applaud though, when Drummys name read out in line up.
Equally nice though, to read our slating by them, WHEN WE WIN :lol: :lol: :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:00 am

Good away support from them, i thought, lets keep things nice and they might come back next year , in numbers, putting money in our till......IF THEY ARE NOT IN THE BLUE SQUARE!!!!!!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Curly » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:13 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Good away support from them, i thought, lets keep things nice and they might come back next year , in numbers, putting money in our till......IF THEY ARE NOT IN THE BLUE SQUARE!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt they'll drop down, but stranger things could happen,
LIKE BARROW COMING UP :shock: :o :shock:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:01 am

Neil G wrote:And just how are Morecambe a league club? Less than 2,000 of 'em there today.

He's right though. Surely we can't survive long term as a League Club with crowds that low?
The Red Knight

Postby Neil G » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:46 am

The Red Knight wrote:
Neil G wrote:And just how are Morecambe a league club? Less than 2,000 of 'em there today.

He's right though. Surely we can't survive long term as a League Club with crowds that low?

Bury, Chester, Macclesfield, Barnet, Dag & Red and Accy Stanley all had lower average gates than us last season, (our first granted) I always thought you stayed in the league by finishing up with more points than those teams below you, not by your how many come through the turnstiles :roll:
Neil G

Postby slackAlice » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:05 am

Neil G wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:

Bury, Chester, Macclesfield, Barnet, Dag & Red and Accy Stanley all had lower average gates than us last season, (our first granted) I always thought you stayed in the league by finishing up with more points than those teams below you, not by your how many come through the turnstiles :roll:

I think the quote from a Shrews fan was just 'sour grapes' - it would'nt matter if you averaged 200 a week if your promoted your in the League and thats that.
However, if we continue to progress , like we will !, I can't see us getting big increases in average attendances somehow- if we got in to the play-offs and got promoted we'd get a massive 'swell' of local support for the big games, like last time. But even in League 1 I don't think we'd have averages above say 3800 /4000 would we ?
Is THAT sustainable with the new stadium etc.
slackAlice

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 am

Neil G wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:

No, but the number of people coming through the gate dictates our wage budget for the following season. If crowds continue as they are doing at the moment (in some cases down 1000+ people from the previous season) then it's going to mean we will end up with a poorer squad than this season. With crowds as they are we are going to be battling relegation every year along with the likes of Accy, Macclesfield, Barnet, Dagenham etc and just struggling to survive in this league.

All this talk about progressing as a club on the field is all well and good but where do people think the money is going to come from to do it? Until we are averaging crowds of 3000 then we can forget about finishing in the playoffs, never mind winning them.
The Red Knight

Postby Raeyes » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:18 am

But isn't that the main reason for us moving grounds???? So that we are not reliant on gate receipts alone and have the ability to raise finance from other sources?
Raeyes

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:44 am

We can't moan its not like we have a lot of people to attract to football matches. A very small town surronded by championship clubs, premiership clubs and the sea! I'm still happy were getting over 2000 but saying that i rarely see the club promoting matches and trying to get people down now, rather than waiting until we are really needing higher attendances and it being too late.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Raeyes wrote:But isn't that the main reason for us moving grounds???? So that we are not reliant on gate receipts alone and have the ability to raise finance from other sources?

Yes, that's part of the puzzle but the teams in this league who are competing at the top of the table have the stadium side of it sorted already (such as Shrewsbury, Darlo, Bradford, soon to be Chesterfield etc etc) plus far more fans.

Clubs that have got twice as many fans as us have twice as much money through season tickets, gate admission, replica shirt sales, other merchandise, food and drink. We can't possibly expect to compete on them without a large input from the board which I hope they don't do as I wouldn't like to see the club get into serious financial difficulties.
The Red Knight

Postby sandgrown » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Raeyes wrote:But isn't that the main reason for us moving grounds???? So that we are not reliant on gate receipts alone and have the ability to raise finance from other sources?

my worry is that with no on street parking anywhere near the new ground, attendances could fall even further, the public will not walk any distance these days, especially in the middle of winter, the die hards will be there, but the floaters ?
sandgrown

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:29 pm

sandgrown wrote:

my worry is that with no on street parking anywhere near the new ground, attendances could fall even further, the public will not walk any distance these days, especially in the middle of winter, the die hards will be there, but the floaters ?

Did you read the revised plans approved by the Planning Committee that were in the Visitor this week ? They include parking for 370 cars in the grounds of Westgate School just 200 yards from the new ground.

shown here in the plans :-
http://www.morecambestadium.co.uk/image ... 20PARK.pdf
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:37 pm

Perfect for me as i'll be able to make the short walk from Heysham but it'll be mixed emotions when I get there as the ground is plonked on what was the site of my favourite Car boot sale,
Oh well some you win some you lose 8-)
HALMA 1983

Postby sandgrown » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
sandgrown wrote:

Did you read the revised plans approved by the Planning Committee that were in the Visitor this week ? They include parking for 370 cars in the grounds of Westgate School just 200 yards from the new ground.

yes I did, but with an average of 2 per car it's only 700, and some of those will go to directors,players,officials etc.etc.
sandgrown

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:08 pm

my worry is that with no on street parking anywhere near the new ground, attendances could fall even further, the public will not walk any distance these days, especially in the middle of winter, the die hards will be there, but the floaters ?[/quote]

http://www.morecambestadium.co.uk/image ... 20PARK.pdf[/quote]

yes I did, but with an average of 2 per car it's only 700, and some of those will go to directors,players,officials etc.etc.[/quote]

The players , directors , and officials will NOT be parking on the 370 spaces provided on Westgate School. They will be parking on the spaces next to the new ground rather like the present arrangements.
Maybe Season ticket holders will have first chance of buying a parking pass when they renew their ticket.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:12 pm

what about these bus servies are we getting extra busses being put on on match days?
heysham_mfc

Postby Aspers » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Don't forget I'll be coming in by helicopter.
Aspers

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:49 am

heysham_mfc wrote:what about these bus servies are we getting extra busses being put on on match days?

Yes that's part of the arrangements.

We're not planning to move to Quernmore - I really don't think getting to the ground will be an issue at all.

If it becomes one, then I'm sure the club will do something about it. IF we find the car-parking spaces are still not enough then there are several fields (Oxcliffe Road for example) which could easily accommodate an overspill and earn an enterprising farmer a few hundred quid each home game. And you'd only have to walk about the same distance people are currently happy to do if they park on Broadway.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:06 pm

sandgrown wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
sandgrown wrote:my worry is that with no on street parking anywhere near the new ground, attendances could fall even further, the public will not walk any distance these days, especially in the middle of winter, the die hards will be there, but the floaters ?

yes I did, but with an average of 2 per car it's only 700, and some of those will go to directors,players,officials etc.etc.

Hopefully this isn't the city councillor for Westgate talking down the proposals for the new stadium?

I can understand your desire to stand up for your local residents / voters. However, the arrangements at Westgate Primary School add another 370 spaces to the sizeable number at the new ground. This provides opportunity for way more vehicles to park in designated areas than exist at the current ground. Additionally the club, under their own steam, have worked with the County Council to provide the planning necessary for match day buses.

So far all I've seen is City and County Council officers working hard on solutions to enable the new stadium to happen. Whereas local elected councillors have merely raised objections (to both the planned site and the current site). Surely local councillors could work harder to deliver the stadium to the benefit of all rather than just object to protect the interests of a vocal minority?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ezz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:38 pm

yes I did, but with an average of 2 per car it's only 700, and some of those will go to directors,players,officials etc.etc.[/quote]

Don't forget the fact that a lot of people will either walk from their homes, the pub they visit before the game, buses, coaches (away fans). So not as many cars will be looking for a parking spot as you might think.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby wonder shrimp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:43 pm

didn't the club do a travel survey last season? i think they will have a fairly good idea of how fans get to the game at the moment, and the parking at the new ground already sounds better than the current mess!
wonder shrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion