Radio Lancashire

Radio Lancashire

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:28 pm

My first Radio Lancs post of the season.

Okay, I accepted we didn't get much coverage when we were non-league.
Now we're in the league, I can understand why we don't get live matches at home.
And, I can even accept that there are a lot of Lancashire Championship & a Premiership team that are above us in the pecking order.

Most of this applies equally to Accrington.

So today, no Championship & Premiership games, we're at home, so fair enough.

But Exeter v Accrington Stanley, surely that should be covered???!!!

Division 2, the new non-league?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Radio Lancashire

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Keith wrote:My first Radio Lancs post of the season.

Okay, I accepted we didn't get much coverage when we were non-league.
Now we're in the league, I can understand why we don't get live matches at home.
And, I can even accept that there are a lot of Lancashire Championship & a Premiership team that are above us in the pecking order.

Most of this applies equally to Accrington.

So today, no Championship & Premiership games, we're at home, so fair enough.

But Exeter v Accrington Stanley, surely that should be covered???!!!

Division 2, the new non-league?

Ive noticed that too.

They seem to be scaling back coverage.

Perhaps someone could fire off an email to Garry Hickson.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby USA Shrimp » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Alright lads and lasses - who had September 6th in the pool for "First week that Keith goes off on Radio Lancs" ! :D
USA Shrimp

Postby al1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:04 pm

i think that we get decent coverage on radio blackburn and they mention us a lot,and gilly always gives us a plug.but they do seem to be cutting back on sports coverage.i dont think they cover local cricket as well as they used to and dont do matchnight specials in mid-week any more.perhaps they need to make savings to pay tony liveseys wages.
al1

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:23 pm

coverage today was actually better as a Morecambe fan because with no live game the internet broadcast continued so I got regular updates from Quinny whereas if they had covered Exeter v Acci I wouldn't have had that. They even played some decent music. But that's not the point. I'm sure when Blackpool and Burnley were in the bottom division, not that long ago, they still had live coverage. It'll be interesting if us or Acci get promoted and Burnley or Blackpool get relegated, how will coverage be divvied up then?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Cost could be a factor, you're right. The charges for covering games live, I think I'm right in saying, have gone up this year.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:48 pm

I am a guest on a forthcoming RL show, and was asked to give them 3 songs to play as personal life changing records, they told me that they do not play radiohead songs, so i have left it up to them to play whatever M.O.R crap they can come up with.
IN my opinion rl are radio NORWICH OR THE RADIO VERSION OF THE CITEZEN!!!
DO NOT TOUCH THAT DIAL!!!!

THE CAPITOL LOCK IS ON PORPOISE!!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Aal » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:14 am

I was astonished that Radio Cumbria did live commentary for our pre season game with Carlisle.

I also heard live commentary of Barrow v Rushden while Radio Lancs were only occasionally at Oldham last Tuesday.

Radio Lancs is a let down by comparison (and has a much bigger budget!!)
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby Phoenix » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:38 am

Surely Lancs needs a much bigger budget than Cumbria because there's far more sport to cover? There's so little sport in Cumbria, they'd have a hole-in-one at the Keswick pitch 'n putt as a lead story.
Phoenix

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 am

If Blackpool (for example) had returned to the First Division and therefore played, do you think they would have covered them yesterday? The excuse for treating us & Acci differently because we were non-league has now gone. If giving us & Acci [a little] more coverage now means a little less for the other League teams, then so be it. Besides, do the League & Premiership charge the same to cover Blackburn or Preston as Exeter v Accrington? Perhaps they do, but I doubt it. So if it means one less Blackburn game covered to give us & Acci a couple of matches a season, then that is what they should do... we're not non-league anymore!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Craig » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 am

I'm pretty sure the lack of Air time is due to cost, they will proberly have to but some right from premium tv(i think?) they seem to have the rights to commentry of most if not all league games through the web sites.
It seems to tie in with the 1st season back in the league for accy they followed us home & away whilst in conf and hardly none of their's which you would have thought they would being their return season to league footy. Then when we get promoted they hardly give us any air time and just put on Championship footy. proberly same cost but they get bigger listeners for Preston,Burnley etc..
Craig

Location: stones throw from the ground(not any more just a supermarket now!!)

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:13 am

Is there not a full match commentary service through the club website now that you can subscribe to?
Mark S

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Mark S wrote:Is there not a full match commentary service through the club website now that you can subscribe to?

In a word?
Not really!

Only if the opposition team have a commentary and you have to put up with that as we did for Wycombe, remember?
morecambe mick

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:55 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
Mark S wrote:Is there not a full match commentary service through the club website now that you can subscribe to?

In a word?
Not really!

Only if the opposition team have a commentary and you have to put up with that as we did for Wycombe, remember?

Exactly. Once it's announced that there is a "Morecambe" commentary from every match, I'll subscribe. Until then it all sounds a bit too 'hit & miss' for me, especially as I have no interest in any other club so accessing other commentaries has no appeal to me. Are we the only League Two side who aren't doing our own commentary? If not, what happens when we play that/those team/teams?

Isn't "not really" more than "a word" :D :roll: :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Not sure about yesterday but I am sure Sean did a full commentary last week. Aspers commented that he was listening 'Loud & Clear'

Was this not the case yesterday?
Mark S

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Quinny was providing full match commentary on Morecambe World yesterday

he was able to link this with goal flashes for Radio Lancashire

Last week both Derek and myself provided full match commentary for the game against Dagenham at Christie PArk which Aspers was picking up

We're hopeful that we will be able to have something in place at Barnet for everyone

I provided goal updates throughout the night from Oldham with post match pieces and full commentary on the shoot out along with preview piece for yesterday

Normal service resumed with Quinny yesterday

Morecambe World will improve as extra facilities are bolted on

ive paid my £35 for the next 12 months that works out at what 10/20p a a day
thats not bad really but it will get much better and fans will get value for money
its only just started and im sure month on month people will begin to subscribe

cheers sean
Shrimpsscene

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Keith wrote:
Exactly. Once it's announced that there is a "Morecambe" commentary from every match, I'll subscribe.

Can Keith confidently part with his money then Sean? Sounds like it to me. The advert in the programme would also allude to that boasting 'Exclusive Full Match Commentary'.

Speaking of the programme and Quinny. Very disappointed with his comments about 'Shrimpsvoices' yesterday. Toungue in Cheek or not. Judged the many by the few in my eyes.
Mark S

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Shrimpsscene wrote:We're hopeful that we will be able to have something in place at Barnet for everyone...

Mark S wrote:Can Keith confidently part with his money then Sean? Sounds like it to me. The advert in the programme would also allude to that boasting 'Exclusive Full Match Commentary'...

It's not the money that's the issue as much as paying for something and then be disappointed or frustrated if there are weeks when it's not available. When it is "guaranteed" then I'll sign up but when it's "hopeful" of something for the next week, I'll avoid that frustration.

Hopefully the guarantee will be able to be made soon.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:27 pm

Mark S wrote:
Keith wrote:
Exactly. Once it's announced that there is a "Morecambe" commentary from every match, I'll subscribe.

Can Keith confidently part with his money then Sean? Sounds like it to me. The advert in the programme would also allude to that boasting 'Exclusive Full Match Commentary'.

Speaking of the programme and Quinny. Very disappointed with his comments about 'Shrimpsvoices' yesterday. Toungue in Cheek or not. Judged the many by the few in my eyes.

i think you can confidently part with your money Mark its worth it at 20p a day
as quinny has posted earlier we will be up and running with a must better service as the club finds its feet on this with more facilities become available and then who knows we may get to the 600 who subscribe to bury commentaries and the 2000 who subscribe to the oldham commentaries but i dont think we will do the 40000 yes thats 40000 that notts forest have believe it or not!!!
cant speak for quinnys comments Mark save to say a few have been fed up reading quite a lot of negative comments here myself included I'm sure Quinny was attacking everyone but that vocal minority whi insist on talking the club down

great to have a win under our belt
reserves wednesday and then Barnet Saturday cant wait..........
Shrimpsscene

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Keith wrote:
morecambe mick wrote:

In a word?
Not really!

Exactly. Once it's announced that there is a "Morecambe" commentary from every match, I'll subscribe. Until then it all sounds a bit too 'hit & miss' for me, especially as I have no interest in any other club so accessing other commentaries has no appeal to me. Are we the only League Two side who aren't doing our own commentary? If not, what happens when we play that/those team/teams?

Isn't "not really" more than "a word" :D :roll: :lol:

morecambe mick

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Shrimpsscene wrote:cant speak for quinnys comments Mark save to say a few have been fed up reading quite a lot of negative comments here myself included I'm sure Quinny was attacking everyone but that vocal minority whi insist on talking the club down

Thats the point Sean. It is a minority and 'Shrimpsvoices' get tarred with a wide brush by a club official in an official club publication. I have had a look back and for every negative comment there is someone else being positive or challenging the negative minority. Not really a fair representation of the messageboard. There were many many positive messages on Tuesday night that Quinny must have missed.

I get a bit frustrated that SV gets lots of flack and not much praise. It is a great communication tool, it keeps fans informed (much better than the Official site, if we are honest), it keeps the enthusiasm going between matches and it also creates new fans and new customers for the club - Two more from Bolton this week I see. It also keeps exiles in touch and part of the community. It earns the club money - I would bet that the Official site gets more traffic via SV than the other way round.

The trouble is that 'Shrimpsvoices' is an easy target when things are being said by individuals that the club, players or the management dont want to hear. Two officials have told me that they dont read Shrimpsvoices, as though it is beneath them. I am in Retail and one of the first rules is 'listen to the customer' - you may not like what they are saying, but the customer is king.

All I am asking for is a fair representation.
Mark S

Postby Dazzer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Good shout Mark

To be fair to Quinny though (and I'm sure he can come on here and defend himself) I'm sure he was'nt meaning to tar all shrimpsvoicers with the same brush. Although he did rather defeat his own point about critcism and negativity by two paragraphs later in the same article launching into a very negative and critical piece about his 'other' team Liverpool :? :D :lol:
Dazzer

Postby quinny » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:11 pm

OK Time to defend myself.
My comments about SV were aimed at those FEW who only come on here when we lose and have a go at people.
My point has been validated in some way as we won yesterday and the FEW I was aiming at are nowhere to be seen today.
I love SV and the debates it brings but I am fed up of those who ONLY moan on here. I think it is more than a fair point to say that if some of the more negative posters held their hands up when we won and showed they were happy that we won I wouldn't be making such comments.
I know I have only commented on what a lot of people have said in the past including the majority who are in the press box week in week out.
I know people won't agree week in week out with what I write in a column (or what people write on SV) but that is what these avenues of communications are about.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions which is something that we all love about following football.
quinny

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

you guys are doing a fantastic job keeping us updated on the games but would be nice to have the game on radio lancs as well as I know people who don't travel away and do not have access to the internet so can't listen to Morecambe World
heysham_mfc

Postby slackAlice » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:22 pm

I don't think we are overly 'negative' on here - hell's bell's you want to take a peek at some of the other forums. The Bradford one for a start - its good for a laugh sometimes - after their 4-0 defeat to the 'Udders' they were ready for a lynching.

No... I think you get a pretty balanced view most of the time. We all have our favourite formations / players and SV is the natural place to discuss these things. Maybe the Craig Stanley debate wasn't welcome ?? But if he isn't playing , on the bench there's bound to be 'discussion' ; it's like talking on the terraces.
It's an invaluble source of information for me if I'm wanting to know something about the club / team ... and it's highly addictive !!!!!!
slackAlice

Next

Return to General Discussion