Extra Refs In Champions League Games o/t

Extra Refs In Champions League Games o/t

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Same as they did in Europa Cup. No goal line technology tho.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Extra Refs In Champions League Games o/t

Postby Weetabix Kid » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 am

waste of time....... :x
Weetabix Kid

Postby Heysham_red » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:12 am

Weetabix Kid wrote:waste of time....... :x

I agree, Its almost an admission that something wrong but not admitting that the best solution is the right one. What happens when there is a mistake, and there will be? Are we going to have and extra 2 more refs.

Inevitably its a debate that will keep running until technology, in some respect, is used. I am all for goal line technology, its a no brainer, which is why i don't think the extra refs will work. Because human error is always a possibility.

The argument by Blatter/Platini is that lower league clubs and grass root football wont be able to afford the technology and we wouldnt be on the same playing field as clubs say in the champions league or premiership or other major leagues. But that debate falls down, for me anyway, at the point where the best refs in this country only officiate in the Premiership. Which means surely we are already not on a level playing field as the Premier clubs due to sub standard refereeing (in comparison to the Premiership).

The other side of coin, of course, is how much technology should be used; do we allow a tennis like system where a team have a number of calls on decisions? (No in my opinion)
Do we constantly stop and start the play?
Do we only allow for incidents such as penalties, straight red cards or second bookings.
Its interesting. But i don't believe much will change until Blatter and Platini step down. I dont think they are making choices that are good for the game, and despite being one of the most watched and biggest sports in the world, we are still lagging behind other sports due to there short sightedness.
Heysham_red

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 am

Mess about with the rules as much as they like at International, European, and Premiership levels.
Human error is all part of the game, adds immeasurably to the excitement of the occasion, before, during, after and beyond.
Technology would ruin the game for a lot of us.
However, some of the rules could be improved.
One I'd like to see is the offside rule kicking-in at say mid-point into an opponents half instead of the half-way line.
Another is that a penalty becomes a dead-ball if the keeper saves it, or it comes back off the woodwork.
And something has to be done about all the stupidity that goes on around the 6-yard box.
Plain Peter

Postby Opinionated » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:02 pm

The extra officials were used in the Europa League last season but ironically they weren't needed to make any big decisions. But inevitably another goal line decision or a Henry handball incident will occur at some point. The positioning of these officials is perfect for goal mouth action and they will prove worthwhile.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Return to General Discussion