TheWanderer

Re: Game ON

Postby campdave » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:27 am

From someone in London missing the match, I say BOOOOO
campdave

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:34 am

I really hope the pitch passes.
If it does, I'll be down BetFred's, with a fiver on the outcome :)
Who's the touchy Mod on duty today? ;)
Plain Peter

Postby Phoenix » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 am

Passes what? Portsmouth? :lol: Handy for some ;)

It passed inspection around 930 and there's only been very light rain since. Everywhere is wet but it's windy so drying up nicely. The coastline from Grange to Barrow is bathing in sunshine :o If only we could shift the gap in the clouds :roll:
Phoenix

Postby i-love-mfc » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:55 am

Is there really any point in going to the match today?....
its chucking it down here. Whats the weather like in morecambe ?
i-love-mfc

Postby Shrimpster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 am

Is there going to be another pitch inspection?
Shrimpster

Postby Martin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:58 am

Shrimpster wrote:Is there going to be another pitch inspection?

They might have a look at it after the game ;)
Martin

Postby parceldave » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Sunshine on a rainy day :) :)
parceldave

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm glad I woz wong.
Plain Peter

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:10 am

Peter wrote:I'm glad I woz wong.

And I hope you lost your fiver.

For a smart bloke who usually thinks before he posts, stating that bookies are taking bets for which point the game will be called off, as if it is inevitable, could have a serious effect on income for the club as many could be influenced not to bother setting off (especially from Shrewsbury, especially after last seasons game was called off at last minute).

We need every bit of income we can get and posting ill thought out remarks like that for your own amusement is very unhelpful.

When it comes down to it, I am pretty 'touchy' about stuff like that.

Good job I know you or I might have thought you had considered it, and you knew exactly what the effect could be.
Mark S

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:11 pm

i-love-mfc wrote:Is there really any point in going to the match today?....

Mark, that's as bad as what I posted isn't it?
I'd imagine that quite a few people will have been put off by the weather forecast following the pitch inspection.
What I said was considered (I was sober at the time :o ), but was also tongue in cheek. As this thread has had only 500 hits in 27 hours my few words of wit wouldn't have done any damage to the gate.
But what you are now basically admitting is that it would have been perfectly alright for the game to have started, and then abandoned, because the club would have benefitted from the gate.
Plain Peter

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:31 pm

Peter wrote:I'm glad I woz wong.

What's the problem with admitting you're chinese? :lol:
maybe you just have a sister called 'Susie'
HALMA 1983

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Peter wrote:
i-love-mfc wrote:Is there really any point in going to the match today?....

Mark, that's as bad as what I posted isn't it?
I'd imagine that quite a few people will have been put off by the weather forecast following the pitch inspection.
What I said was considered (I was sober at the time :o ), but was also tongue in cheek. As this thread has had only 500 hits in 27 hours my few words of wit wouldn't have done any damage to the gate.
But what you are now basically admitting is that it would have been perfectly alright for the game to have started, and then abandoned, because the club would have benefitted from the gate.

Yes it probably is but I missed that one.

Not wit. A calculated statement made credible by quoting bookie odds (whether true or not).

I dont care if it would have put off 100 or just 1, it was against the interests of the club.

I have not condoned in any shape or form that 'it would have been perfectly alright for the game to have started, and then abandoned, because the club would have benefitted from the gate'. Lets just stick with the facts.

There was a pitch inspection at 10am and the pitch was passed fit for play.

The Club put out a statement sayin the game was on

This thread is titled 'Game On'

You posted a message on this thread that despite this very positive news, would have seriously cast doubt as to whether the game would be completed, if started at all.

I removed it as in my opinion, it could have put any unsure fan from Shrewsbury off coming as they had a bad experience previously. This would have reduced the revenue from the match.

The pitch looked fantastic.

The game was played and the sun shone for the whole match and the pitch held up perfectly.

If it was a considered post, I am now wondering, why you would have done that knowing the possible effect?
Mark S

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:49 pm

It was written tongue in cheek, with a couple of smilies to emphasise the point.
Like all of these forums, the reader hasn't got a clue about the what's, why's and whatever else might, or might not, be behind what the writer has written.
It's a bit like accusing someone of being a racist because you (not personally) don't agree with a few words they've written. Those words are then taken out of context and blown out of proportion.
Plain Peter

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Peter wrote:It was written tongue in cheek, with a couple of smilies to emphasise the point.
Like all of these forums, the reader hasn't got a clue about the what's, why's and whatever else might, or might not, be behind what the writer has written.
It's a bit like accusing someone of being a racist because you (not personally) don't agree with a few words they've written. Those words are then taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

I would suggest then that if you acknowledge it could have been taken out of context by individuals, you should have no issue with it being removed.

BTW. Its nothing like accusing someone of being racist. How ridiculous.
Mark S

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Mark S wrote:I would suggest then that if you acknowledge it could have been taken out of context by individuals, you should have no issue with it being removed.

I haven't got an issue. I'd forgotten about it until you reminded me at 10.10 this morning.

Mark S wrote:BTW. Its nothing like accusing someone of being racist. How ridiculous.

I used that word as an example. I disagree, but value your opinion.
Plain Peter

Return to General Discussion