england and the pubs

england and the pubs

Postby glagys » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:20 pm

now with the forthcoming worldy cup thingy that seems to be about to start i seem to remember reading that some pubs or pub chains are banning people wearing england footy shirts from the pub to watch the game this cannot be true can it?????????????
anyone heard anything (so stupid) and which pubs are doing this should be boycotted
glagys

Re: england and the pubs

Postby Joelinho » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Another pile of racist propaganda from The Sun and the "SEND EM BACK" brigade..
Can you really see any pub or club turning anyone away with a pocket full of money? In fact most pubs have their own England flags all over the place..

These stories are becoming more and more frequent, perhaps a boycott of The Sun and The Mail with their stream of "P.C. gone mad," "They're trying to change your way of life," rubbish would be better?
Joelinho

Postby NeilG » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Actually it's not that at all, there are one or two venues in Lancaster who will not be allowing people wearing football shirts into their establishments once the England games have finished. Nothing to do with racists or the tabloid press :roll:
NeilG

Postby Joelinho » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Which pubs are these? There's plenty of rumours flying around..

People may be confused as many pubs ban club colours. Can't see the point in the England shirt ban?
Joelinho

Postby shrimper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:00 pm

As far as I'm aware (and I have checked) the only formal 'suggestion' came from police in Croydon who sent an advisory note to pub landlords asking them if they wanted to consider a dress code during the World Cup prohibiting the wearing of football shirts in pubs.

This is normal advice in various towns and cities at particular times where they think fans of different CLUBS, having had a few, might kick off. It wasn't specific about England shirts.

In other areas, pubs may have made that same decision unilaterally.

But, of course, The Sun and others picked up on it and turned it into a 'They're Banning the England Shirt!!' headline nonsense.

Since then various police forces and councils have had to make formal statements saying it's a load of old nonsense because people have used the complete non-story for their own racist purposes.

They've started petitions and facebook groups blaming immigrants for it all (when no ethnic minority group has even uttered a word) which eventually have become a dumping ground for the kind of 'if they don't like it they can leave' bigoted drivel we can do without.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby NeilG » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-n ... .151226.jp

“We do not allow people with England shirts in during the evening for safety reasons,” said Jim Kelly, manager.
“We do it to keep all the drunk people out of the pub.”

Is Jim Kelly suggesting that everyone who wears an England shirt is a drunk ?
NeilG

Postby mrg1309 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:21 pm

NeilG wrote:http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-news/Pubs-get-shirty-with-footie.151226.jp

Neil, that article appears to be eight years old, I wouldn't of thought it had any connection to the ridiculous rumours circulating at present.
mrg1309

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

NeilG wrote:http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-news/Pubs-get-shirty-with-footie.151226.jp

“We do not allow people with England shirts in during the evening for safety reasons,” said Jim Kelly, manager.
“We do it to keep all the drunk people out of the pub.”

That was 8 years ago Neil when Walkabout was there! I recall the same thing when a game was on you could wear a shirt but not when there was'nt ;)

we also were'nt allowed to wear a hat! :o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby durhamshrimp » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:35 pm

The usual 'you couldn't make it up' brigade who then go on to make something up. Followed by a line like 'cause it'll probably offend some indian or something'.

People still keep falling for it.

durhamshrimp

Postby NeilG » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Ooops, sorry chaps :oops: I don't read the Sun or go out in Lancaster very often :)
NeilG

Postby parceldave » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm

NeilG wrote:

Actually it's not that at all, there are one or two venues in Lancaster who will not be allowing people wearing football shirts into their establishments once the England games have finished. Nothing to do with racists or the tabloid press :roll:

Simple answer, if the pub you intend to watch an England game in apply a ban on you wearing you England shirt later , then don't go in there at all. ;)
parceldave

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:53 pm

By kick-off at 1930 on Saturday evening more than half the usual suspects will already be out of their heads.
I expect the Boys-in-blue, and hospital casualty can stand by for a busy night.
Ditto, don't wait up for your hubby/partner girls :cry:
Plain Peter

Postby Posh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:25 pm

The best England shirt story has to be the Stoke Sentinel's front pager about a 2 year-old boy made to get off a bus 'because the shirt was really offensive to the Eastern European bus driver'. The story was subsequently splashed all over The Sun, Mirror, Mail and the Daily Star added he was Polish plus a few more details. As a result the story was splashed large on the BNP, National Front and Stormfront websites.

First Bus, appalled by the actions of one of it's drivers, undertook a thorough and comprehensive investigation. The result, "no driver fitting the description given was working any route in the area on that day. Buses were busy yet no has been in touch regarding this allegation. No one else to any other body has been able to substantiate the allegation. It appears that no such incident took place".

The Sentinel published two follow up stories apologising saying the original article was "unsubstantiated" and pulled the story from it's website. The story still appears on the websites of the national press that unquestioningly repeated it. Thus the story has fallen into right wing xenophobe folklore as 'true'. Ready to be justified as a reason for kicking someone's head in should we lose a match in the World Cup.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby durhamshrimp » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:15 pm

A two year old? :lol: :lol: What was he meant to be doing? Were his parents booted off as well? :lol: :lol:

They need to make these xenophobic lies more believable.
durhamshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 am

The main concern about this story is people reading the Sun newspaper and then attempting to have a serious discussion around one of its articles. The Sun is not a serious paper, take everything in it with a pinch of salt and have a giggle.
RedRedWine1

Postby wonder shrimp » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:54 am

i think the press should be held accountable for the lies they tell. at the moment they routinely publish lies and half truths to further their agenda or sell newspapers. There should be hefty fines punishments (ie a large percentage of sales or something) and if necessary closed down.

I'm all for a free press but the UK press takes the piss some times and it's an embarassment and damaging for democracy.

not that i think callmedave is going to do anything about it!
wonder shrimp

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:24 pm

I work for the civil service as part of multi-ethnic but majority English workforce. Exactly the kind of place you'd expect these 'do-gooders' to tell people to stop displaying our flags.

In reality we've actually been encouraged to bring in "england regalia" to celebrate our team. We've also been told we can wear England shirts on the day of the match. Sadly for the shit stirers nobody has taken offence to the flags and shirts.
Last edited by durhamshrimp on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
durhamshrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:32 pm

It's like the old 'Birmingham City Council ban Christmas' story that gets run almost as regularly as Christmas itself. The truth there was that the council were trying to promote trade in the city by 'expanding' the Christmas festivities in to January by having other attractions, not 'just' Christmas. Council try and do something enterprising wasn't as good a headline as 'loony council ban Christmas so as not to offend Muslims' :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby durhamshrimp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 am

As one of SV's resident looney lefties, can I just surprise people and say BAN THEM FUCKING TRUMPETS!!

(Aspers here, I was going to edit your F word but to be honest I agree 100% with you. :lol:)
durhamshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:33 am

Keith wrote:... not 'just' Christmas. Council try and do something enterprising wasn't as good a headline as 'loony council ban Christmas so as not to offend Muslims' :roll:

What's Christmas?
I thought it was supposed to be a Christian festival commemorating the birth of Christ?
Now what is it? It's been dumbed-down so much and become an unaffordable (by most) spending orgy lasting months, with the religious aspect completely disappeared.
Do the interfering do-gooders attempt to dumb-down Ramadan, or any other non-Christian festival?
No, and nor should they.
But can we have our Christmas back please?
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Bump.
Any comment DS?
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Peter wrote:
Keith wrote:... not 'just' Christmas. Council try and do something enterprising wasn't as good a headline as 'loony council ban Christmas so as not to offend Muslims' :roll:

What's Christmas?
I thought it was supposed to be a Christian festival commemorating the birth of Christ?
Now what is it? It's been dumbed-down so much and become an unaffordable (by most) spending orgy lasting months, with the religious aspect completely disappeared.
Do the interfering do-gooders attempt to dumb-down Ramadan, or any other non-Christian festival?
No, and nor should they.
But can we have our Christmas back please?

Nonsense. It was a pagan festival where they gave gifts to each other and their spirits.

Then the Christians hijacked it. It should be celebrated by getting drunk and giving gifts.

Most Christians do, though, celebrate it properly in their own Christian way and then also by having a good time with friends and family and giving gifts.

Each to their own. I eat too much, get drunk, give my kids pressies and have a great old time. And no interfering, do-gooding god-botherer's going to stop me.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby durhamshrimp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Peter wrote:Bump.
Any comment DS?

As an atheist I do down each religion equally. Your Jesus fairy stories are equally as ridiculous as their Allah ones. I think it's quite nice for you if you like to celebrate the birthday of your imaginary friend, good on you!

I do prefer Christmas to Ramadan however, mainly because of all the eating, drinking and congested football fixtures. Roll on Christmas, or Pissedmas as I like to call it.
durhamshrimp

Postby Aspers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Fair call. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Aspers

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Aspers wrote:
Is Jim Kelly suggesting that everyone who wears an England shirt NEEDS TO BE drunk !!

Fair call. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

edited for clarity wayne. :lol:
morecambe mick

Next

Return to General Discussion