We just can't defend

We just can't defend

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 pm

I've said it before and been slagged off for it, but today was proof positive that defensively we are rubbish. Too slow and unable to defend crossed balls into the box.

If that upsets people then so be it. But nobody can make excuses for todays shambles. The league table might show us as finishing 4th but imagine what it would be if we hadn't scored so many goals with the number of goals against an absolute joke. Conversley, had we not leaked so many we would have been promoted automatically.

Major surgery needs to be done in both defence and midfield if we are going to get anywhere near the play offs again. Sammy needs to have a major re-thinjk about what is needed for next season. For me, we need an injection of pace throughout from much younger blood. If that means certain favourites are 'bit' players then that's what has to happen.

As for Thursday, I'm just glad that we've sold all the tickets 'cause the gate would / will suffer.

Are we going to win 7-0?

Probably not, but certainly a performance that restores a bit of pride is needed.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: We just can't defend

Postby marky » Sun May 16, 2010 2:56 pm

For once, CC, I completely agree. Sadly, we've already signed up most of our midfield players which doesn't bode well.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sun May 16, 2010 2:57 pm

I totally agree with you. The midfield need sureing up in the middle and the left. I think Duffy has been pretty good this year and Stanley i think is always good. Drummond, well i hate to say it but he has been shabby of late. And on the left, we have no set winger!
As for defence. We need 1 or two new centre backs as Jim and Dave are knocking on :/.

What do we need?! PACE PACE PACE.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun May 16, 2010 2:59 pm

CC totaly correct we need to do something because if the goals don't come we are going to be in a real scrap next season just to stay up
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 16, 2010 3:07 pm

marky wrote:For once, CC, I completely agree. Sadly, we've already signed up most of our midfield players which doesn't bode well.

For once, Marky, I completely agree about the resigning of the current midfield.

Drummy, Panther and Duffy are either not up to it or are casualties of age.

Sign Craney, Higginbotham and younger, hungrier players.

Interestingly, the Daggers are a team of almost former non league players who their manager has signed and brought the best out of. Maybe a lesson their for us to follow, but certainly a credit to their policy.
Christies Child

Postby Preston Shrimp » Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 pm

defence was awful today and we missed stanley badly.

wtf is sammy thinking with haining. he is shite and contributes nothing, only contributes to the opposition tbh.

oh well KEEP THE FAITH :!:
Preston Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Sun May 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Preston Shrimp wrote:defence was awful today and we missed stanley badly.

wtf is sammy thinking with haining. he is shite and contributes nothing, only contributes to the opposition tbh.

oh well KEEP THE FAITH :!:

What are you on about , Haining apart from today when everyone was shite , has brought some much needed composure to the defence this season . But the problem lies in midfield , opposition are given far too much freedom to pick out their passes or run at our defence and Stanley wouldn't have made any difference today because he doesn't put tackles in either .
parceldave

Postby The Fury » Sun May 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Christies Child wrote:
marky wrote:For once, CC, I completely agree. Sadly, we've already signed up most of our midfield players which doesn't bode well.

For once, Marky, I completely agree about the resigning of the current midfield.

Interestingly, the Daggers are a team of almost former non league players who their manager has signed and brought the best out of. Maybe a lesson their for us to follow, but certainly a credit to their policy.

Duffy was unmistakably the best player on the pitch for us today. Whilst I would agree he has a tendency go missing in games - particularly away from home - and can often be frustrating he has a dribbling ability that we just do not possess. He is a valuable asset. If you're after 'hungrier' players, to borrow a term that quite accurately describes you, then Duffy is essential.

Craney? The other week you bemused everyone describing him as a ball winning midfielder. He could take tackling lessons off Craig Stanley he's that bad at it.
The Fury

Postby parceldave » Sun May 16, 2010 4:05 pm

The Fury wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Duffy was unmistakably the best player on the pitch for us today. Whilst I would agree he has a tendency go missing in games - particularly away from home - and can often be frustrating he has a dribbling ability that we just do not possess. He is a valuable asset. If you're after 'hungrier' players, to borrow a term that quite accurately describes you, then Duffy is essential.

Craney? The other week you bemused everyone describing him as a ball winning midfielder. He could take tackling lessons off Craig Stanley he's that bad at it.

Well there was a few of us watching the game today and everyone said at half -time , get Duffy off cos he was having a mare , no ball control, running into offside positions , half hearted tackles and passes , poor Mullin never got any service at all . Only in the second half did he try and take a defender on but without any success then had a chance on goal only for a complete air- shot . :( Simply not strong enough for this level ;)
parceldave

Postby The Fury » Sun May 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Well there was a few of us watching the game today and everyone said at half -time , get Duffy off cos he was having a mare , no ball control, running into offside positions , half hearted tackles and passes , poor Mullin never got any service at all . Only in the second half did he try and take a defender on but without any success then had a chance on goal only for a complete air- shot . :( Simply not strong enough for this level ;)

Interesting. The way I saw it he was the only one capable of putting a pass together and actually having the ability to trap the ball first time and then move. Garry Hunter and Stewart Drummond, sadly, didn't show that today. Manny Panther came and showed, for the first time since his injury, that he's capable of playing a pass and I thought Jevo looked very tidy once coming on.

People will, rightly so, bemoan our centre backs. Arts and Jimbo were clueless; and highlighted how we could do with a cultured centre back in the mould of Blackie, but I would like to point out that, for me, far and away the worst defensive player on the pitch was Andy Parrish. I've often said that you can't expect to go to Dagenham and have any joy on the flanks yet, repeatedly, Dagenham murdered us down our right hand side. Andy's had a great six months, but today he was as, if not more so, culpable than the 'old guard'.
The Fury

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Got to agree wholeheartedly with C.C but in defence (of the defence) the Midfield did absolutely nothing and contributed massively to the teams downfall, Barrie's loose goalkick was a big turning point and knocked the stuffing out of any revival.
I've never been one for the 'lone Striker' approach as it shows negativity from the off, 4-4-2 and give it all you've got is the only way and maybe just maybe we'd still have something to play for on Thursday.
Oh well back to bed for a few winks before another slog of my own through the night :?
Respect to all our fans who made the long trip.....................you we're AWESOME!!!! and VERY LOUD
HALMA 1983

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 16, 2010 4:42 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:Got to agree wholeheartedly with C.C but in defence (of the defence) the Midfield did absolutely nothing and contributed massively to the teams downfall, Barrie's loose goalkick was a big turning point and knocked the stuffing out of any revival.
I've never been one for the 'lone Striker' approach as it shows negativity from the off, 4-4-2 and give it all you've got is the only way and maybe just maybe we'd still have something to play for on Thursday.
Oh well back to bed for a few winks before another slog of my own through the night :?
Respect to all our fans who made the long trip.....................you we're AWESOME!!!! and VERY LOUD

Probably the big mans first serious mistake this season. It happens!

However I just wonder if todays performance of those around him will make him give serious thoughts about NOT re-signing for next season.

:?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby parceldave » Sun May 16, 2010 4:48 pm

The Fury wrote:

Interesting. The way I saw it he was the only one capable of putting a pass together and actually having the ability to trap the ball first time and then move. Garry Hunter and Stewart Drummond, sadly, didn't show that today. Manny Panther came and showed, for the first time since his injury, that he's capable of playing a pass and I thought Jevo looked very tidy once coming on.

People will, rightly so, bemoan our centre backs. Arts and Jimbo were clueless; and highlighted how we could do with a cultured centre back in the mould of Blackie, but I would like to point out that, for me, far and away the worst defensive player on the pitch was Andy Parrish. I've often said that you can't expect to go to Dagenham and have any joy on the flanks yet, repeatedly, Dagenham murdered us down our right hand side. Andy's had a great six months, but today he was as, if not more so, culpable than the 'old guard'.

Have to agree , we have all witnessed the improvement this season of Andy , but today he had a mare , i have singled out Gazhunter for praise this season, but he too had a bad day as did our No 1. Its hard to beleive that so many players had an off day at the same time . But no consolation to all those who had to travel and witness that performance today and its a long way back . :oops: :oops: :oops:
parceldave

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun May 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Christies Child wrote:

We have re-signed both Drummond (1 year) and Hunter (2 years) and it will be a bad omen IMHO if either of them is in midfield for us next season.

I could make a case for Drummond moving back to be a "footballing centre half" alongside a streetfighter partner.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby DTSJim » Sun May 16, 2010 9:25 pm

This thread really annoys me. Sometimes I think that people on this board are just willing our team to fail.
'The defence is shit' 'the midfield is shit' and my personal favourite 'we would have been in a relegation battle if we hadn't scored so many goals'. Well no shit Sherlock.

Today was a terrible performance, noone played well and we got thumped. Nevertheless, to be demanding a major overhaul of a team that just finished fourth in the league smacks of a huge knee jerk reaction. I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses here, the league table speaks for itself, but my arse 'we just can't defend'.

Personally I'd be more worried about our troublesome away form than massive squad restructuring. We've shipped a lot of goals and we've had injuries in the centre of an ageing defence, I'm pretty sure Sammy is aware of the problems.

Honestly, today's been a crap day, and to see this mass of negativity of the back of a league 2 playoff semi final (admittedly one we got spanked in) really puts the cherry on top.
DTSJim

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm

After a long season, the team and management underperformed as a unit today, but , i would say, they all overperformed for most of the season, without spending much, and without a massive support, we regular fans, the players, and the board should all give ourselves a collective pat on the back, i was not at the match tday, watched it on telly, that was not the norm from the boys today, i think the fact that little morecambe, as we keep being called ,are now established in the fbl is remarkable, I personally do not know peter m, but thank him big timefor his support, i know peter c, and same as, nice bloke, lets have another party on thursday and support our fantastic board, management and team one 100 percent :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Morecambe Player » Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm not going to argue with CC about his original post, but just to put things into perspective, do you take one game as "Proof positive" according to CC, or do you take the other 46 games into account? The other 46 which saw us finish 4th?

Just a thought...
Morecambe Player

Postby Christies Child » Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 am

Morecambe Player wrote:I'm not going to argue with CC about his original post, but just to put things into perspective, do you take one game as "Proof positive" according to CC, or do you take the other 46 games into account? The other 46 which saw us finish 4th?

Just a thought...

An excellent achievement to finish 4th.

But if we had conceeded less goals we could have been automatically promoted.

For once Sean take off those rose tinted specs and see where the problem is.

And it's not just one game is it?

Burton 5-2 Notts County 4-0 PNE 5-1 Aldershot 4-1 Northampton 4-2

As I've said numerous times, superb to finish 4th but it could have been so much better IF we defended just a bit better.

I'm already looking forward to next season..and the one after.
Christies Child

Postby NeilG » Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am

CC your timing is shocking, while most of us are on the floor in shock yesterday you turn up and just can't wait to stick the boot in. In case you hadn't remembered we have a return leg to play on Thursday and I will be there to SUPPORT our team, might I respectfully suggest that you do the same and wait until the last game of the season before resuming your ego driven agenda to rip apart what pride those players might have left to play for . It's nothing to do with rose tinted specs it's about getting behind the team that has given us the highest position in the clubs history.
NeilG

Postby DTSJim » Mon May 17, 2010 8:13 am

Christies Child wrote:
Morecambe Player wrote:I'm not going to argue with CC about his original post, but just to put things into perspective, do you take one game as "Proof positive" according to CC, or do you take the other 46 games into account? The other 46 which saw us finish 4th?

Just a thought...

An excellent achievement to finish 4th.

As I've said numerous times, superb to finish 4th but it could have been so much better IF we defended just a bit better.

Exactly the sort of thing I was talking about in my last post.

Yes if we'd conceded less we'd have been automatically promoted, but if we'd scored less we'd have been relegated, that's such an pointless statement, especially in the circumstances.

Your unbridled negativity towards the team after they lost a LEAGUE 2 PLAYOFF MATCH really annoys me. No doubt you'll still go up to Jim Bentley like he's your best mate next time you see him despite your initial post basically implying that he was past it.
DTSJim

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 17, 2010 8:45 am

we defended bad as a team yesterday the main problem was with the midfielders leaving there man to run at our defenders and out numbering us at the back with our midfielders ball watching to often

and tacticaly poor with the basis of lets just hoof the ball upto Mullin

we need to sign 2/3 good footballing midfielders and wingers who can string passes together and keep possession putting the opostion under pressure

oh and a pacy forward wish we still R Howe
George Dawes

Postby Ntini » Mon May 17, 2010 8:51 am

The Fury wrote:

I've stuck up for Duffy this season, but I have to ask what game you were watching? There was one moment that epitomised his performance yesterday, and one of his major weaknesses. Another player (I can't remember who, possibly Hunter) was making a diagonal run in front of him towards the right corner. Instead of a simple pass in front of the defender, he hoofed the ball straight up the middle which rolled into the hands of Tony Roberts. When the ball bounced, there was not one of our players within 30yards of it, so what was the point? He seems to miss the simple opportunities to pass the ball. Not one of our players were even average yesterday. We were poor, and I'm afraid Duffy was the worst.

We've had a great season, and to finish 4th is amazing, but none of the players should be in any way praised for their performance yesterday. Changes may well be needed if we want to get ourselves in the same position next season, but lets enjoy our last game at Christie Park and thank the players for their hard work, in all the League games at least!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby wijit » Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 am

DTSJim wrote:This thread really annoys me. Sometimes I think that people on this board are just willing our team to fail.
'The defence is shit' 'the midfield is shit' and my personal favourite 'we would have been in a relegation battle if we hadn't scored so many goals'. Well no shit Sherlock.

Today was a terrible performance, noone played well and we got thumped. Nevertheless, to be demanding a major overhaul of a team that just finished fourth in the league smacks of a huge knee jerk reaction. I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses here, the league table speaks for itself, but my arse 'we just can't defend'.

Personally I'd be more worried about our troublesome away form than massive squad restructuring. We've shipped a lot of goals and we've had injuries in the centre of an ageing defence, I'm pretty sure Sammy is aware of the problems.

Honestly, today's been a crap day, and to see this mass of negativity of the back of a league 2 playoff semi final (admittedly one we got spanked in) really puts the cherry on top.

Totally with you. If this was a game just before Christmas we'd have been putting it behind us by Wednesday, not demanding a complete restructure. A single game, at the end of a season where we have far exceeded any of our (realistic) expectations and this is the sort of thread we come up with? We ended looking down at teams who really and truly would've had more expectation to be where we are than us!
Get a grip....
wijit

Postby scar » Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 am

Christies Child wrote:An excellent achievement to finish 4th.

IF - always an IF!

We scored more than we let in hence our 4th position finish. I'm sure that Sammy & the board will have set their targets for the season and worked to achieve them. Seeing the club score goals is entertaining and brings in the crowds rather than a no score bore draw! You don't win games unless you score goals!

The team have scored plenty, yes we've let in plenty as well but please don't dwell on what IF's, lets just celebrate the 4th place finish and look forward to the last game at CP.
scar

Postby Caged Lion » Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 am

The Fury wrote:Interesting. The way I saw it he was the only one capable of putting a pass together and actually having the ability to trap the ball first time and then move. Garry Hunter and Stewart Drummond, sadly, didn't show that today. Manny Panther came and showed, for the first time since his injury, that he's capable of playing a pass and I thought Jevo looked very tidy once coming on.

I would agree with all the above. Every player that started was woeful. Even Roche made some glaring cock-ups. We never got the luck and we certainly played against some serious rule bending.

Their long throw-in specialist made a foul throw every time...his front foot was encroaching onto the playing area. The only thing that surprised me was that the ref didn't book more of our lads or send them off, he was in that frame of mind. Mrs Lion pointed out that we have been unfairly penalised by this ref previously. Artell was clearly fouled before their first goal, and to cap it off their player then committed a 'foul' throw. The goal should have been disallowed. All of their corners were taken from outside of the line. Baz punted the ball straight at their forward for their second then Baz saved the penalty only for our lads to be doddering around the edge of the area...sigh :twisted:

No sour grapes though...we were bloody cactus all afternoon until Panther and Jevons came on.

On a positive note...we were very very VERY good at singing, hat's off to everyone there, especially at the end as the team were Barmy Armied off with the loudest chant of the afternoon.
Caged Lion

Next

Return to General Discussion