Our Attendance's

Our Attendance's

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 09, 2010 7:08 pm

does it not annoy/worry you the amount of people who are so born & bread Morecambe and proud yesterday that it was there 1st match of the season?
George Dawes

Re: Our Attendance's

Postby Andy » Sun May 09, 2010 7:14 pm

glory hunters !!!!!! :lol:
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun May 09, 2010 7:33 pm

DawZi wrote:does it not annoy/worry you the amount of people who are so born & bread Morecambe and proud yesterday that it was there 1st match of the season?

Yes , yes and double yes. There seem to be almost as many from outlying areas (Lancaster included) and away from the area as there are actual Morecambe folk amongst the hard core following. Maybe the current success and the Globe may boost the numbers. Then again............

One guy stood behind me yesterday actually said at the final whistle "Are we in the play offs then or not"? When I confirmed we were he went ballistic :lol: He might be a new one if he keeps up with the overall picture in future ;)
Burnley Shrimp

Postby durhamshrimp » Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Rather they were there than not. Its the way of the world sadly.
durhamshrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 09, 2010 7:50 pm

it's only recently when some of my mates have jumped on the band wageon saying get me a ticket will you for me for the last match etc when the last time they went was Wembeley/Deepdale in the league cup & Notts County(Sven&Sol)

and i feel like saying stuff you stick to watching MUFC/LFC/EFC/LUFC/CFC/RFC/MCFC
George Dawes

Postby Vinny » Sun May 09, 2010 7:54 pm

It is disappointing that many haven't turned out for most or more games, but hey, we're a growing club - and I'm sure many of those there yesterday will be back again soon! - So don't slag 'em off - encourage 'em! Our core support, believe it or not, is gradually growing year on year, and yesterday was the best home crowd ever to turn out for a league match - so celebrate it!

Ticket sales for the play-off match have sold really well today. Keep it positive! Get your mates hooked here - it's nearer, cheaper to get in - and they'll soon find out - MFC's a great team to follow. :D
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Caged Lion » Sun May 09, 2010 7:58 pm

DawZi wrote:it's only recently when some of my mates have jumped on the band wageon saying get me a ticket will you for me for the last match etc when the last time they went was Wembeley/Deepdale in the league cup & Notts County(Sven&Sol)

and i feel like saying stuff you stick to watching MUFC/LFC/EFC/LUFC/CFC/RFC/MCFC

Naw! If you get your non-Shrimps mates to only 1 game a season it is a bonus. Regular MFC fans should know that it is vital to buy tickets early, so football fans from outside the area and local newbies can only be good because they will carry the word far and wide...not just down to the West End.

If 1 in 50 people go to another game because they enjoyed themselves you have put in a great shift getting them to the first game.
Caged Lion

Postby phil1965365 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:10 pm

PEOPLE DO GET HOOKED. MY FIRST GAME WAS AWAY AT YORK AWAY IN CONFERENCE PLAY OFFS AND THE RETURN LEG AT CHRISTIE WAS SOMETHING I,LL NEVER FORGET. THINK I,VE ONLY MISSED ABOUT FOURTEEN GAMES SINCE HOME AND AWAY..................AND I LIVE IN PRESTON..............GO WI THE SARDINES AWAY............MORE LIKE ME PLRESE.
phil1965365

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 09, 2010 8:12 pm

its just so frustrating we could be double in gate attendance's :roll:
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun May 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes it is annoying but let's hope some of those who were there yesturday start coming every week not just the big matches
heysham_mfc

Postby Gedskishrimp » Sun May 09, 2010 8:49 pm

agree with what you are saying, lots of glory hunters at game yesterday, will they be coming to the games in november and december when it is freezing cold and raining, i think not, but an extra few hundred through the gates at globe arena will be appreciated,
Gedskishrimp

Postby shrimper » Sun May 09, 2010 8:53 pm

It is more bemusing than annoying for me. I see blokes, who obviously are into football, all the time who I never see at Christie and can't think what they do on matchdays that's more exciting or enjoyable. Some will go to watch other teams but not that many.

But nowadays I just shrug and think 'it's their loss'. We all know what it's like and, yes, it would be great if we got better support but there's not much we can do about it other than keep talking it up, wearing the shirts and displaying the stickers in our cars.

Just enjoy it.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby EDD » Sun May 09, 2010 9:36 pm

As an on, and off supporter over the last 11 years, (though the first game was vs Rhyll back in 84, I was brought to a game by my Morecambe relative.) I have seen the rise of the club both on, and off the field.

To be honest when I did not start to attend games properly game until about when I was
staying at my relatives, and on a board Saturday afternoon completley out of the blue decided to just go down to Christie to catch a Morecambe game, Hednesford I think...?

And at that point I got hooked so to speak of.

I would just like make it clear if you if you don't already know I'm not from Morecambe, I'm from Bradford....! ( Other Team being Bradford Park Ave). Though I'm sure I'm not the only fan who is not from Morecame, and or even Lancashire, (Yorkphil) springs to mind.

Any way it's been one hell of a time following MFC over the last decade, F.A cup 3rd rnds against Ipswich, also against Brentford, and everything in between from the Marston trophy at Accy Stan ( With halftime Scottish marching band ) to of course Wembley)

The point being is you have one fantastic club over, with brilliant supporters, who turn out in good numbers, a well organised back room staff, and a Team that punches well above its weight considering budget, I assume.

It really is to be envied, by other clubs at your level and, because seems to me, everything is just so well managed, with a strong sense of direction, drive, and knowing when to count the penny's, i.e. Not going for broke like so many clubs do.

So as far as attendance's go Morecambes only weakness is Demographics so to speak, though you certainly put a lot of clubs with big populations in other area's to shame...

I for one wish my other team could one day hope to regain there league status, hopefully emulating Morecambe...!
MFC's Only

Morecambe FC / Bradford Park Avenue FC

Supporter
EDD

Postby Keith » Sun May 09, 2010 9:48 pm

DawZi wrote:and i feel like saying stuff you stick to watching MUFC/LFC/EFC/LUFC/CFC/RFC/MCFC

Nah, just stick with encouraging them, drip, drip, drip. It's not that long ago that we were Northern Premier League playing in front of 250 people, now we get that for some reserve games. The more 'glory hunters' come down, the more of them will become hooked and turn in to regulars.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby morecambe mick » Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Keith wrote:
DawZi wrote:and i feel like saying stuff you stick to watching MUFC/LFC/EFC/LUFC/CFC/RFC/MCFC

Nah, just stick with encouraging them, drip, drip, drip. It's not that long ago that we were Northern Premier League playing in front of 250 people, now we get that for some reserve games. The more 'glory hunters' come down, the more of them will become hooked and turn in to regulars.

What he said.

I mean, look at all the drips that were there on Saturday :lol:

(open door swinging there methinks :lol: )
morecambe mick

Postby ezz » Mon May 10, 2010 7:55 am

shrimper wrote:It is more bemusing than annoying for me. I see blokes, who obviously are into football, all the time who I never see at Christie and can't think what they do on matchdays that's more exciting or enjoyable. Some will go to watch other teams but not that many.

But nowadays I just shrug and think 'it's their loss'. We all know what it's like and, yes, it would be great if we got better support but there's not much we can do about it other than keep talking it up, wearing the shirts and displaying the stickers in our cars.

Just enjoy it.

Most play football themselves on a Saturday which is at the same time of most Morecambe ganes. Should turn it into a sunday league and attendances would be up at least 500 a game
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 10, 2010 8:20 am

there's still a lot who are into football though and just sit at home watching sky sports news or in general do boring random things :?

but ive managed to recruit two adults & Juniors with me this season to nearly all the home matches and am now targeting a cousin from carnforth who came with us on saturday with his little un and loved it
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Mon May 10, 2010 10:02 am

DawZi wrote:but ive managed to recruit two adults & Juniors with me this season to nearly all the home matches and am now targeting a cousin from carnforth who came with us on saturday with his little un and loved it

That really is the best thing to do, target people you know who are in to football but not yet experienced Morecambe FC (or only occasionally). Get them hooked. Build it and they will come!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Preston Shrimp » Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 am

I get quite annoyed by this aswell.

hopefully some of these jumping on the bandwagon will get hooked on and continue their support regardless of what league we are in next season
Preston Shrimp

Postby Morecambe Player » Mon May 10, 2010 11:54 am

From a personal point of view, I think it's great that the game was sold out on Saturday. Whether it was people's first ever game or not, I think we should encourage any new support we can get, rather than castigate them because it was their first game. Although most people on here live and breathe Morecambe FC, the fact is, a lot of people in the town don't.

Don't forget, the club used to have attendances of a few hundred, so at some point or other, increased success has brought higher crowds. That's natural. We're just at the point again where more success might just breed more supporters. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I just hope that those rare or first time attendees on Saturday also come to the play off game and make that a sell out too. It certainly seems that tickets are going well, so that's a good sign. Hopefully this will mean bigger attendances at the Globe Arena.

So let's encourage any new fans into the family fold and hope they stick with us next season!
Morecambe Player

Return to General Discussion