World Cup, food & Chicken Balti Pies...

World Cup, food & Chicken Balti Pies...

Postby Keith » Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 am

Some of you know that a few seasons ago, while I was listening to Radio Lancashire and following the internet sites for updates on Morecambe, my wife (taking the... if truth be known) presented me with pie & peas at half time. How fantastic was that! And thus began a tradition.

So this morning she asks me what type of pie I want today? Mmm... Shrewsbury... CHICKEN BALTI PIE! Today's menu, chicken balti pie in honour of the fact we are playing at Shrewsbury. I know other places sell them too, but the Gay Meadow was the first place we ever had one.

This led to us thinking about the World Cup and having a meal in honour of our opponents. England v USA we'll have HUGE burgers but what of Slovenia & Algeria? Very salty sausages and something with goat is as good as I've got so far! Any Shrimpsvoicers able to chip in with menu suggestions before I check with Mr Google? And any thoughts about what we'll be eating in the later stages?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: World Cup, food & Chicken Balti Pies...

Postby USA Shrimp » Sat May 01, 2010 4:42 pm

We have a couple of Algerian brothers who play in my Sunday League side. I'll ask 'em for you.

On the day of the USA game I am organizing a game with all the English lads I know over here playing against a team of Yanks (it's a fund raiser for my high school team I coach) so we will be chowing down on all sorts.

For an authentic Philadelphia meal you should make a cheeseteak. It's our cultural export to the rest of the country (along with the whole American Revolution / Independence thing, that is).

Fry up minute steak along with some onions and mushrooms, then when it's all done throw on some thinly sliced cheese and let it all melt on top. Scoop it all up and stick it on a long, soft bread roll (like a big hot dog roll). If you can find a big enough roll stick the roll on top of the mixture and slide your spatula under the lot, flip it all in to the roll. Yum.
USA Shrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Decided to go into Potts yesterday and get some real food down after 8 night shifts and on their menu was the NEW CHICKEN BALTI PIE
with the words 'It shouldn't work but it does'

FANTASTIC!!!! packed to the lid with chicken breast and a fine accompanying sauce.........................HIGHLY DELIGHTFUL and one for the new stadiums menu next season ;)
HALMA 1983

Postby Christies Child » Sat May 01, 2010 6:18 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:Decided to go into Potts yesterday and get some real food down after 8 night shifts and on their menu was the NEW CHICKEN BALTI PIE

FANTASTIC!!!! packed to the lid with chicken breast and a fine accompanying sauce.........................HIGHLY DELIGHTFUL and one for the new stadiums menu next season ;)

....that's assuming that Potts are one of the suppliers. :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Christies Child wrote:
OLDHAMADE wrote:Decided to go into Potts yesterday and get some real food down after 8 night shifts and on their menu was the NEW CHICKEN BALTI PIE

....that's assuming that Potts are one of the suppliers. :?: :?: :?:

Well one things for certain if they aren't..................We WON'T be winning the Best pie served at any ground contest again.
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sat May 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Well, Elaine's CBP was LOVELY!!! Have that again!

Rich, we will try your Philli-buster :D
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby USA Shrimp » Sat May 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Keith wrote: Rich, we will try your Philli-buster :D

:roll: :lol:
USA Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:28 pm

When the US play England you should introduce all your yankee mates to English bacon USA Shrimp. When I was in the states the stuff that they have as a substitute was shit. I've never seen people crow about something as inadequate, like cardboard but with less taste. At the place I was staying they had ran out of sausages for breakfast, and instead I got offered extra bacon which was supposed to be some sort of treat. No thanks.

Get 'em on Lancashire crumbly cheese also.
RedRedWine1

Postby Morecambe Player » Sat May 01, 2010 9:34 pm

In 2006, I had a World Cup final party organised, where the guests would come and watch the game and partake of cuisine based on the finalists. Obviously didn't know who the finalists were going to be, and hoped it wouldn't be Ivory Coast v Cameroon or something!!

Luckily, it was France v Italy so was rather easy!!
Morecambe Player

Return to General Discussion