O/T Freeview HD

O/T Freeview HD

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 am

With the launch of Freeview HD in time for this summer's World Cup (assuming that the various teams can get there due to the 'ash in the sky' which some sceptics suggest may still be around :o ) I wondered if anybody has invested or plans to invest in the new Freeview HD Humax Box or equivalent and if so what's the quality like?

Other than getting more Channels which I personally don't want, the Freeview HD seems a far more economical altenative to both Freesat, Sky and Virgin.

Any thoughts?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Freeview HD

Postby durhamshrimp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 am

HD television isn't really anything amazing. Better picture but nothing to get excited about. Freeview HD box is about £180 whereas you can get a normal freeview box for about £15.
durhamshrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:32 am

durhamshrimp wrote:HD television isn't really anything amazing. Better picture but nothing to get excited about. Freeview HD box is about £180 whereas you can get a normal freeview box for about £15.

Interesting you say that, I find HD to be stunning, either through Freesat or watching Blue Ray through a PS3. Scenic programmes are stunning and football is far better IMO. Perhaps it depends upon the TV, whether 'true HD or 'upscaled' etc?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

durhamshrimp wrote:HD television isn't really anything amazing. Better picture but nothing to get excited about. Freeview HD box is about £180 whereas you can get a normal freeview box for about £15.

Already got a HD Ready set, so Freeview channels are already available.

Freeview HD seems the logical next step without having to get FreeSat, Sky or Virgin which would cause endless arguements in my household about who watches what and when. We've enough problems deciding what to record to Hard Disc as it is. :!: :!: :!:
Christies Child

Postby Splodge » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:12 pm

It may be worth checking your TV as well - a HD Ready TV is not the same thing as a full HD set. HD ready will be an improvement over a non-HD TV, but will only go to 720p, wheras a Full HD TV will goto 1080, where the difference really will be noticeable.
Splodge

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Splodge wrote:It may be worth checking your TV as well - a HD Ready TV is not the same thing as a full HD set. HD ready will be an improvement over a non-HD TV, but will only go to 720p, wheras a Full HD TV will goto 1080, where the difference really will be noticeable.

Cheers for this info.

My understanding is that a Full HD set receives the HD signal direct from an antenna.

A HD Ready set needs an interface ie Freeview HD or other such device to get the 1080 and hence HD.
Christies Child

Postby Nerso (CTFC) » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Make sure you can receive Freeview HD in your area first.
Nerso (CTFC)

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Christies Child wrote:
My understanding is that a Full HD set receives the HD signal direct from an antenna.

A HD Ready set needs an interface ie Freeview HD or other such device to get the 1080 and hence HD.

Are you getting 'Digital' and 'High Definition' mixed up? HD depends upon you having an HD receiver of some kind, Sky HD box, FreeSat HD or Freeview HD. All of these have a 'non-HD' version.

Do you have a TV that has Freeview built in? They will simply use the antenna for the broadcast, if it is available in your area (check as Nerso advised). There are also some TV's with Freesat built in, which will take the broadcast directly from the dish. We can't get Freeview here, so have to use FreeSat.

Regarding arguments in the house, with a FreeSat HD box and a twin LNB, you can watch different channels on different TV's or record one channel while watching the other (as long as it is a box with two LNB inputs of course!)
http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/
http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/ ... foxsat-hdr

Hope that helps more than it confuses!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:54 pm

My Panasonic has Freeview built into it (ie HD Ready), BUT according to my knowledge it CAN'T accept FreeviewHD without the necessary Humax HD-FOX T2 box or equivalent from another manufacturer not yet on the market.

If my Panasonic was a Full HD TV there would be no problem as it would receive HD without a box of tricks.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Christies Child wrote:My Panasonic has Freeview built into it (ie HD Ready), BUT according to my knowledge it CAN'T accept FreeviewHD without the necessary Humax HD-FOX T2 box or equivalent from another manufacturer not yet on the market.

If my Panasonic was a Full HD TV there would be no problem as it would receive HD without a box of tricks.

A TV can be full HD but the built in freeview receiver will not be HD, these have only just come onto the market.
steve mfc

Postby greenshrimp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:58 pm

These are what everyone in the tech world seems to be talking about:

http://www.3view.com/Home.aspx

Freeview HD PVR with internet connectivity and future proffed to get a range of IPTV services (already has iplayer and skyplayer).
greenshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:03 pm

greenshrimp wrote:These are what everyone in the tech world seems to be talking about:

http://www.3view.com/Home.aspx

Freeview HD PVR with internet connectivity and future proffed to get a range of IPTV services (already has iplayer and skyplayer).

WOW!
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 pm

I just thought we could have both of CC's 'freeview' threads on the front page at the same time! :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7928

This, original one, had more information, so we can save ourselves the bother of repeating stuff...

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Keith wrote:I just thought we could have both of CC's 'freeview' threads on the front page at the same time! :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7928

This, original one, had more information, so we can save ourselves the bother of repeating stuff...

Spoilsport....

its getting booring in the silly seasonnnnn :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby skyecat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:48 pm

I just bought a humax freebview HD box the other week. I think the quality
is vastly improved when watching football, particularly on the
wider camera angles as you don't appear to get the "pixelating" grass.
My tv is a 100hz 1080 HD tv but as has previously been
stated, I needed a "box" of some description to access the
free to air HD Chanels. There is only BBC, itv and Chanel 4 which
broadcast HD at the minute with Chanel 5 coming soon I believe (apart from
satellite channels that is). At least with this box, I don't need
a dish on the house and I don't pay a susbscription.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby Curly » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:53 pm

A Hauppauge HD PVR allows you to make x.264 HD recordings from SKy, IF you have one of the first generation SKy HD boxes, before SKy
bought the manufacturer and disconnected the component outputs. ;)
It has no storage but converts SKys signals to record on your PC
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:19 am

skyecat wrote:I just bought a humax freebview HD box the other week. I think the quality
is vastly improved when watching football, particularly on the
wider camera angles as you don't appear to get the "pixelating" grass.
My tv is a 100hz 1080 HD tv but as has previously been
stated, I needed a "box" of some description to access the
free to air HD Chanels. There is only BBC, itv and Chanel 4 which
broadcast HD at the minute with Chanel 5 coming soon I believe (apart from
satellite channels that is). At least with this box, I don't need
a dish on the house and I don't pay a susbscription.

Thanks for this info.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion