'Ultras' Type Group

'Ultras' Type Group

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Having read this forum, talking to friends, and being generally dissapointed with the lack of atmosphere/passion we get at home games now, it WOULD be good to get some sort of 'Stanley Ultra' type of group going here at Morecambe.

It can't take much more than 50 or some people (Like Stanley) to be willing to create an atmosphere, providing colour to the NEW home terrace at the new ground. If this happens, and with the new terrace being smaller, everyone will feel united, and more people will be encouraged to join and support the team.

Ideas include: Fans bringing their scalves, balloons, confetti etc etc. Money for materials for things such as flags could be raised.

This is just an idea, and something which I feel would help add to the atmosphere at Christie Park/ Globe Arena. Now, what would we call it ? :lol:
Crooky MFC

Re: 'Ultras' Type Group

Postby ezz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Why not just join the Stanley Ultras?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm never sure that this sort of thing can be 'forced', although I do think it has the chance to grow with a bit of planning. I've said in the past that I think one way to help get things going would be for everyone involved to meet before the game, say at The York, and then all leave at the same time to walk to the ground. Thus there is a herd mentality before entering the ground. There is then a much better chance of the 'singers' being in the same area. That's why we tend to make a better atmosphere away from home.

At the Globe, I think it would be worth painting an area behind the goal 'for the singers', so that right from the beginning, there is a 'group area'. The problem with the North Stand is that the bulk of noisy people are off to one side and right at the back and it has traditionally been so, but other people who make a noise at away games are scattered in different places, so let's encourage them to be in the one area.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:56 pm

ezz wrote:Why not just join the Stanley Ultras?

Thanks for that well thought out reply, that really helped, honest. :roll:
Crooky MFC

Postby ezz » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 am

It wasn't supposed to help, why would I as a morecambe fan want to copy something that another local/rival team do. Shall we get loads of flags and banners that say Morecambe ultras too?
There are a group of fans that generate the atmosphere each week, generally a load of kids at the top of the North stand, no need to make a group, they are still going to sing. If your wanting to do something personally I think it should be something original, can't say i could help as I have no ideas of my own.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Crooky MFC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:08 am

ezz wrote:It wasn't supposed to help, why would I as a morecambe fan want to copy something that another local/rival team do. Shall we get loads of flags and banners that say Morecambe ultras too?
There are a group of fans that generate the atmosphere each week, generally a load of kids at the top of the North stand, no need to make a group, they are still going to sing. If your wanting to do something personally I think it should be something original, can't say i could help as I have no ideas of my own.

Then if you have no ideas, dont comment unless you have something contructive to say? :? . Im not suggesting we 'copy' Accrington Stanley at all, just using them as an example as to how we could improve the match day atmosphere at the new ground.

Oh and yes, I'm included in that group of fans that sing week in week out. Unfortunatley, today was the first home league game i've missed in 6 or 7 seasons. Call us 'kids' all you want, but I think you'll find most are in the age bracket 16 to 20, hardly children. This is what annoys me the most, people like myself try and come up with a constructive discussion, which is ruined by people like you with patronising remarks. I give up on here. :roll:
Crooky MFC

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:39 am

I would like to just say this is a cracking idea for those especially who were at the game today did you notice anything????

Me either we were 1 nil up and it was like someone had died I am sure people will back me up and say yes it truely was shocking today, we should be constantly acting as the 12th man and today we did not, if we had who knows we may of scored many more goals.

I also am a Leeds fan and they have what you could call ultra fans who cheer all the way through the game!! do you know what, it actually does entice other people to join it also adds to the atmosphere and brings new supporters to the club, say for instance your 10 years old and you goto your first football game and surrounded by all this singing and cheering what does that entice you to do? well it makes you want to support that club also makes you want to join in and also it makes you want to go back and back again, I know!! I was the little 10 year old lad 14 years ago when my uncle and cousin took me to watch Leeds vs Coventry on 26/12/96 we lost 3-2 but even with losing the atmosphere made all the difference I was hook because of that fact.

So let's raise the roof at Christie Park/Globe Arena and let's show the good people of Morecambe and surrounding areas what we are all about!!
thegentlegiant

Postby Crooky MFC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LNuGbE8 ... re=related

It could simply start on Tuesday by bringing wembley flags.
Crooky MFC

Postby Aspers » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:45 am

I commented to Fletch in the chatroom last night that it was very quiet.
Normally you can hear something, I did hear 1 person going off bigtime at something. But no singing.
Aspers

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:25 am

Crooky MFC wrote:Oh and yes, I'm included in that group of fans that sing week in week out. Unfortunatley, today was the first home league game i've missed in 6 or 7 seasons. Call us 'kids' all you want, but I think you'll find most are in the age bracket 16 to 20, hardly children. This is what annoys me the most, people like myself try and come up with a constructive discussion, which is ruined by people like you with patronising remarks. I give up on here. :roll:

Don't focus/respond to the negative people then! :D

To be honest, that is why I posted last night, without any reference to the less than helpful first comment. I tried to offer something to a debate, including some positive ideas, in the hope that you'd pick up on those rather than the stupid comment. There are fans of many different ages who would also join in if something positive was done... some of those who are old enough to be your granddad stand up near you already!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby slackAlice » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:16 am

crooky MFC :
It can't take much more than 50 or some people (Like Stanley) to be willing to create an atmosphere, providing colour to the NEW home terrace at the new ground. If this happens, and with the new terrace being smaller, everyone will feel united, and more people will be encouraged to join and support the team.

It would be nice to think this has legs as they say, but and I suppose its a big but I think it takes a tremendous amount of commitment , effort , time , expense and you'd need thick skin. I would guess that the first attempts would attract ridicule and cynicism - the Stanley fans seem to have struck the right balance of being entertaining , non-threatening , funny etc. I'm not sure what the 'other' , non -ultra Stanley fans think of them ?

But it's an excellent idea and should be commended to the house and it will spread and should attract NEW fans. The comment about joining the 'Stanley Ultra's' is thought provoking ! If Accrington was nearer you might find a few drifting that way in my opinion - a fair few of 'mature' Morecambe regular football fans will have cut their teeth at 'other' grounds which were bursting with noisy 'Ultra-style -crowds'.
My best 'jumping up and down and acting like a *$!? days' are well and truly behind me but it's surely the future and its good to see & hear [Aesthetically pleasing I'd say !! It will hopefully give teenagers an option from Wii -ing in their bedrooms or whatever it is they do nowadays.
The notion that 'young adults [14 - 30 yrs of age ] are just going to show up at Christie Pk or 'The Globe' in numbers and spend their £20 because Morecambe are the local club is outdated and laughable .
Nobody is suggesting joining in is compulsory -hell you don't even have to stand or sit anywhere near them -but give it a bit of encouragement. ; as for the copying' thing -its all a variation on a theme isn't it - get 20-30 fans together and you'd get some belting ideas together.
slackAlice

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:28 am

If we could get the same kind of support we had in the Carling Cup at Preston (first time around) now that was good 2,000 morecambe fans singing if we could get even half of those fans singing it would be fantastic. But I can't see it happening at Christie Park it will be a lot getter for making more noise at the new ground. For some reason our support is always a lot better away from home perhaps this is because at most grounds away supporters are just put in one part of the ground so everybody joins in.
heysham_mfc

Postby mellow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Superb trolling
mellow

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:56 pm

My nearest club, Shrewsbury (of who i am not a fan) use to have the Salop Ultra's a number of seasons ago and were renowned for trouble making. They subsequently disbanded! They are however reforming the Ultra's, although most are a little bit older and a little bit wiser, with the main intentions of improving the atmosphere for home fans at the Pro-Star stadium and will all be based together in blocks 8+9 with the initial start date being Feb 27th for the home game V Bournemouth.
I think its a brilliant idea for those who want to take part in that sort of thing at Morecambe especially if everyone gets together but don't forget that there are still alot of fans who actually enjoy watching this atmosphere being created but don't actually want to take part in it themselves. Everyone has a different personality and wants different things in life which is probably a good thing. I personally think its a brill idea!
nobbyshrimp

Postby steve mfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Keith wrote:
At the Globe, I think it would be worth painting an area behind the goal 'for the singers', so that right from the beginning, there is a 'group area'. The problem with the North Stand is that the bulk of noisy people are off to one side and right at the back and it has traditionally been so, but other people who make a noise at away games are scattered in different places, so let's encourage them to be in the one area.

This has been mentioned before but it is probably the best idea in terms of generating a decent atmosphere and one that would be easy to implement and wouldn't cost much. The problem at the moment is there are a lot of people who seem to want to stand where the atmosphere is but not to take part. Hopefully if there was a designated area for singers then supporters who stood in that area would actually do just that.

Certainly a idea that is worth implementing and im sure the club would be happy to go along with anything that helped to increase the vocal support for or our team.
steve mfc

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:47 pm

That's why I think painting an area should be done before the first game. As it is, if an area of the North Stand was painted & designated 'noisy' some people would, not unreasonably, feel annoyed that they are being 'told' to move from 'their' spot. If it is done at The Globe, before anyone defines 'their bit', it has a better chance of working IMHO, especially as many of the 'view the game' folk are going to choose different areas for the first few games.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:45 pm

this is from a team in Norway called Brann I have a freind that lives their and we went to a game as I have to say their support is fantastic! I know we don't have as many fans but if we could do something at the globe it would be great before the game the singing fans meet up at a put is the city centre which is just full of Brann suporters they even have someone it the pub singing the team songs and they play music about the team through speakers. The fans then travel to the ground together so they all go in together some at one end of the stadium and some at the other so they can get noise from both ends of the ground. (sadly we wont be able to do this as the other and is for away supporters) But when you go if does make a big difference even if the game itself is not so good you feel like you have had a great time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeGEldDqQE
heysham_mfc

Postby Crooky MFC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:54 pm

For the Aldershot game, and as the Main Stand is going to be sold out. Maybe we could put red and white peices of card/paper on each seat for people to hold up when the players come out?
Crooky MFC

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Last season there was a few of us who really made an effort. We paid for balloons, cut up confetti for every game and positioned ourselves closer to the singers and sung our hearts out.

I don't think it was appreciated all that much and certainly no one has made a comment about it being missed this season? In fact there was a group who started to call us the 'balloon boys' and made it quite clear that they weren't too happy with us.

Considering it was costing me a far bit over the season to buy the balloons and for very little thanks I stopped doing it.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Morecamber » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:15 pm

A first banner is going to made for Aldershot (the last game at cp) then a few more for the new ground, putting them on the stands barriers hopefully to generate more colour. We will then hopefully make some flags and many new supporters will feel welcome to singing and generating such an atmosphere :D
Morecamber

Postby maccawozzagod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:21 pm

slackAlice wrote: I'm not sure what the 'other' , non -ultra Stanley fans think of them ?

5/6 years ago when it all started many Stanley fans were 'concerned' owing to the chosen name of 'Ultras'

I personally didn't see the point of having a named group, what difference would it make? the singers will still sing. However over a period of a year or two the opinions changed. The Ultras are now all inclusive. What I mean by that is that all the singing group are referred to as the Ultras when in reality 'The Ultras' might be a group of 20-30. What it does do though is shorten a reference. Rather than saying the singers behind the goal did .... it is the Ultras did ...

SU are now more involved with things than they used to be so have garnered far more respect than they once would have had. One phone call from the club could have 20 lads down for a spot of painting or weeding, or sit bolting etc. One lad runs the coaches but because he is an Ultra it becomes the Ultras are running a coach. It puts the respect to things and far more informal than 'the supporters club'.

5/6 years ago the Ultras would have been half a dozen older guys and a cart load of kids. The cart load of kids are now early twenties and are the desired disposable income group that all
maccawozzagod

Postby maccawozzagod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 pm

(sorry couldnt finish the last one for some reason)

they are the desired, disposable income group that all clubs crave. And from a singing point of view they now have matured voices and can add to the noise rather than just squeaking away. The good thing about it all, and the Leeds fan alluded to this, is that there is a second generation Ultra coming through. There are a new breed of kid that stand on the edges and love all the bouncing around and easy tune singing. In five or six years when this group matures we will start to have the makings of a really loud, as well as continuous and just loud, group. The club don't seem to have been able to really stretch and grow the fanbase but maybe the Ultras can?

I think the Stanley group owes much to the dedication of only two or three people, one of whom many of you know - Jase. Without the continued input from flag making to constant haranguing of people for getting on coach to not letting a song die, then the group may have fallen away some time ago. Now though it is really coming to fruition and is gaining respect on a national level. There will always be people who try to knock your, our, groups but you jsut shrug your shoulders - dont get involved, and get on with singing for 90.

You need to have variety of songs and you need to not let a song die. SU will sing and after the usual verse or two it dies its natural death, then one (usually the drunkest) will persevere with it until somebody joins in again - then bingo the song is going again and will do numerous verses.

Morecambe fans are very similar to Stanley in the history and respect for tradition of the club etc. You are also non threatening and not viewed as such anywhere else. You will make it workif you really want to and that will surely add even more spice and intrigue to our clashes if we also have to ensure that we do not lose the displays, as well as the noise, as well as the customary six points a season!

good luck with it all. And just in case somebody has a go this is neither insulting nor condescending and is meant in the right way
maccawozzagod

Postby ezz » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:39 pm

This is kind of what I was getting at as Macca said, by creating a group it isn't going to change anything. The people who sing are still going to sing, also Crooky I dont care how old whoever the people who sing are, I just mentioned that there is a group at the top of the North stand that are young. As I said it's good you want to do something but I dont think making an 'ultas' type group is the right thing, it'd have to be something different.
Also don't get angry if people like your ideas, it's a forum after all ;)

I also think it would help the atmosphere if we had better songs to sing, more emphasis on 'ring me sunshine' at the start and end of matches and songs that are catchy and original like the torres song....but obviously not the torres song. This would get more people singing as they actually like the songs that are being sung.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Great post maccawozagod, thanks.

You make some valid and good, through experience, points.

I have to say though that there have been people who have made this effort at Morecambe, and not that long ago either.
Speaking primarily about Carlisle Paul/Stanley Bowles and myself.
We have organised replacement drums when others have been stolen, with thanks to others on Voices. Been home and away playing the drum and singing our hearts out, organising buses through thick and thin.

In the end barracking and back stabbing from other Morecambe fans, some who will read this and know who they are, has in the end been too much. Nobody comes up with easy catchy songs but slag off others who are just singing to get behind the players.
I've left the drum playing to others, I'll leave it to others to judge.

We travelled with young lads showing them how to behave and have a good time at the same time, who themselves have now grown into those fans that clubs are desperate for.
A great bunch of lads.
We called ourselves the Indies. Only because we were independent of the official travel, that had "become old". Morecambe fans complained about us calling oursleves anything. Let that be a warning for anyone wanting to organise anything.

The problem with Morecambe folk is that they can't even be bothered enough to be apathetic.
No-one will commit to anything, even the guy who calls himself P/T Indie hasn't travelled away with us for about 3 years. Sorry Phil but it makes a point.
I still hate the flag waving though!
morecambe mick

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:17 pm

North Stand Shrimp wrote:Last season there was a few of us who really made an effort. We paid for balloons, cut up confetti for every game and positioned ourselves closer to the singers and sung our hearts out.

I don't think it was appreciated all that much and certainly no one has made a comment about it being missed this season? In fact there was a group who started to call us the 'balloon boys' and made it quite clear that they weren't too happy with us.

Considering it was costing me a far bit over the season to buy the balloons and for very little thanks I stopped doing it.

It really is a shame that it stopped because it went someway to creating a cup tie atmosphere at every game. You were appreciated by the majority I'm sure, but there will always be a sad minority of moaners or those who are just miserable who don't appreciate it and want to make immature comments. Any chance of bringing it back?

I think the other problem is that we have wrongly become a little complacent about the whole thing. We've been in the FL three seasons and finished mid table with maybe the same again this season. It's easy to get yourself up for a Bratfud or Stockport but Barnet or Macc for instance just doesn't seem to do it for most when we are comfortably mid table, in no danger of going down and showing no real signs of making a really serious assault on the playoffs. For some the novelty of the FL has quickly worn off and a lot maybe don't fully appreciate we are now higher than at any time in our 90 year history.

So what are the answers to achieving and sustaining a better atmosphere? I think they are all there in the previous 20 odd posts but can we bring it all together. I stand on the North Stand bottom right just behind the goals. We join in some of the chants but no one else does around us. A lot just appear apathetic towards joining in and creating a good atmosphere for the majority of run of the mill games.

All I can say is that it should be a lot better next season with less distance between the fans who want to chant and sing. Maybe any special efforts, drums, balloons, banners, ultras etc' etc' can be targeted to start at the Globe. Unless we make the play offs this season when things will no doubt become electric again at Christie for one last time! :D
Burnley Shrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion