Burton Match Poster and Fans Competition

Burton Match Poster and Fans Competition

Postby Morecambe FC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Calling all of you curry officianardos (sp), we have decided to break with the normal routine regarding hospitality for the rearranged game versus Burton on Tuesday 16th February.

For as little as £19 incl VAT for season ticket holders you can enjoy a curry in the warmth of the hospitality lounge, match programme, teamsheet and access to the lounge at half and full-time. The price for non season ticket holders of £29 is a real bargain also.

You can help the club promote this offer by downloading and publicising the flyer from here.

http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10866~1954549,00.html

For any further information or possible deals for 10 or more people ring Morecambe FC on 01524 411797.

Commercial dept.

CurryFlyer_A4_aw.jpg
CurryFlyer_A4_aw.jpg (137.28 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Last edited by Morecambe FC on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morecambe FC

Re: Curry Night in Hospitality

Postby shrimper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Bump

Shrimp bhuna, mmmm.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Re: Curry Night in Hospitality and Match Poster

Postby Morecambe FC » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:58 pm

Kill two birds with one stone, BUMP for the curry night offer and introduce the latest Match Poster.

As revealed on the back page of this weeks visitor, Tuesday v Burton is our last scheduled night match at Christie Park.

To commemmorate this and in recognition of the work many of you carry out regarding the Match Posters; Morecambe FC will give a pair of hospitality & Match tickets, for the Burton Curry night, to the SV's member who comes up with the best story about a past night game played at Christie Park.

It can be about the game, the result, the day leading up to the game, the journey to the ground, anything you want. It can be as long as you want but it must be posted on SV's, as a reply to this thread, before 5pm on Monday 15th February. The winner will be notified by PM and obviously must be able to attend the game on Tuesday 16th. Anyone entering who is under 16 must be accompanied to the hospitality lounge by an adult.

The decision of the Commercial dept is final. No correspondence will be entered into and no alternative prize, cash or otherwise, will be offered.

Get those creative juices flowing and you could be enjoying a night in the warmth of the Hospitality lounge as a guest of your Club. The winning entry will be featured in a future programme and if good enough a few might find their way into the final souvenir and collectors programme

Good luck, Commercial dept.

Clever linky thing for the hi-res version on the OWS will be available later.

Burton_low_aw.jpg
Burton_low_aw.jpg (150.98 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Morecambe FC

Re: Burton Match Poster and Fans Competition

Postby Morecambe FC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Come on people, I can't believe there are no stories out there worth telling about night matches past.

If you are a little shy you can send your entries to office@morecambefc.com.

2 match tickets and a lovely curry at the game on Tuesday night await the winners.

Commercial dept.
Morecambe FC

Postby bigreddog » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Go on then I'll give it a shot. Been trawling my memories, and my diary, and match programmes.

Memorable Night Games
There are so many nights that stick in the memory: The night twenty five years ago that converted me to watch the shrimps in the first place ( we played Horwich RMI), or the Football League Trophy evening that saw us play Grimsby off the park in the pouring rain and still end up losing 1-0. But the one that firmly sticks in the memory is a sharply cold October night in our first season in the football league that saw us pitched against Bradford City.
It was Friday 12th October 2007, a night where the atmosphere was matched by the play on the park and visa versa, each seemingly feeding off the other. For me it was especially intriguing as it seemed like only yesterday that I’d sat at Anfield to watch Bradford turn out against Liverpool in a game that was the beginning of their second and what turned out to be their final season in the Premier League. A team that included such luminaries as Petrescu, Windass, McCall, Carbone, Sharp, Beagrie and of course David Wetherall. Some things at least hadn’t changed.
The crowd was gargantuan at 4761, an attendance that remains a record for the shrimps in the league. It was a night that saw drama, obstinate defending by a goalkeeper on the up, the capping of a star man performance by a long time shrimps hero and the emergence of a new one. Oh yes, and it was also bitterly cold.
The first half was an end to end affair with the best chances falling to Bradford’s wide man, who thankfully hadn’t brought his shooting boots. When he and others did manage to work decent opportunities they came up against Joe Lewis in inspirational form, at one point pulling off an outrageous double save (remember Dudek against Shevchenko in the champions league final and you won’t be too far off). Away from the pitch the cacophony of noise must have echoed right across the River Lune, though probably lost on ears not accustomed to this level of football. (Sorry couldn’t stop myself)
It looked like we might just about manage to get in all square and pull things together, until with only a couple of minutes to go to the break we conceded a free kick on the edge of the box. The ball was sent in and found an unmarked Bower to head home past a stranded Joe Lewis, who had offered so much resistance previously. It was a bitter blow, and meant that the half time cheese burger I’d been looking forward to had turned back from treat to tradition.
The cold continued, the singing kept us warm, if only to divert us from having to listen to the fans at the other end gloating at their good fortune.
Then came the second period. Cometh the hour, cometh the men: Thompson and Baker to be precise. Thompson was on fire, he was giving the kind of virtuoso performance on the wing that brought memories flooding back of the likes of Peter Barnes, Stevie Highway or John Chiedozie ( for those too young or too old to remember, that means quite good).
Eventually the pressure told. We won a free kick on the edge of the box, Stanners slid the ball to the side and Thommo rifled it into the bottom corner. Level terms and it was most definitely time for the Thommo show as he ran riot, the more the game went on the more fearful the Bradford defence. The pressure was mounting, but time was running out. Then as the clock ticked into added time, one last effective, undefendable, beautiful cross from Thommo into the path of Carl Baker and a new hero was born. My already aching throat found one more volume level to help lift the roof off the north stand. The joy was uncontained, the distress of Bradford palpable. This was what grabbing late winners and with it all three points was all about. And that’s my nigh time memory of a dark, cold night at Christie when the comradeship of fellow supporters and the result managed to thaw my freezing limbs, and the celebrations went on late into the night, but this time the cold stuff was most definitely welcome.

(I'll send it to your e-mail as well)
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Christies Child » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Not a night match at CP, but a true story about some sad idiot who cycled to an Easter game at Netherfield (Kendal) many, many years ago and actually arrived back in Morecambe BEFORE the supporters coaches.

Needless to say that that same idiot is now some 40+ years older; has an expanded waist line of a few inches ( :oops: ); is loosing his hair and is a bloody pest on SVs....oh and is partial to a curry toooooo often!

Wonder who the hell this sad old git could be :?: :?: :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby ockers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi there
This isnt an entry as on duty tuesday in any case although a curry take away would be well cool :D

But most of the memorable night matches in years gone by have been the floodlit league matches of the late sixties the lancashire junior cup and senior cup finals of course and the occasional tuesday unibond/conference match maybe a trophy replay in there as well
then there have been the gls final win against carlisle and the marsden cup final win again st accrington stanley in recent memory
but i was watching recently an old vhs yes a video of two matches this week the first a saturday game 18th february 1995 Morecambe v Marine attendance 1715 and a 0 0 draw marks s on the mic that day from what i could hear
think brian ross was on the wing for marine
and a formidable line up with john coleman amd jim mccluskie leading the line
but then a game morecambe v lancaster city semi final of the ATS T Trophy a week later a night match and im sure one to jog the memory
Who could forget Bobby Charlton opening the North Stand and the game against Southampton?
the league night matches have been special Stockport two years ago Bradford an dof cours eBury this season for the youngsters in the recent memory
but come on lets hera them in details and well done to Darren for having a go but come on lets be having ya????

im sure Robbie Talbot scored four against his old club burscough a tuesday night game replay at the pie wasnt it 5 2 in 2001?
ockers

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Favourite game at CP on a Tuesday night, for me was on 9th October 2007 against Port Vale, it was our first home game in the JPT cup....I was really looking forward to the game a remember having to beg my manager for a half day duty payback for which he gave me eventually, being a Morecambe fan himself I guess it was hard to say no, so the plan was to finish at 6pm and head straight to the York for a few pints then head to the ground, but by the time I got to Morecambe is was time to go straight to the ground I was very optimistic about the game and thought we would beat Port Vale very easily, well that was my prediction anyways!!

So the game was underway and I remember us pressing forward immediately and we were looking very very good, Port Vale then attacked and I remember thinking oh my, 1 nil down in the 1st 10 mins, it was then Port Vale who seemed to have the upper hand....It seemed like the game was in slow motion we could not pass the ball or get control, I then remember Port Vale getting a 2nd goal leaving us 0-2 down at home.

I was half time in the game and there I was thinking we off out of the JPT cup in 2nd round, although I still had the belief, I had seen many of come backs at Christie Park was so hoping that this would be another one...KO 2nd half, immediately Morecambe push and as near to the 2nd half had started we scored now 1-2 the crowd could now sense a comeback and we could see that Morecambe really wanted this they kept at Port vale and we eventually scored a 2nd goal, it’s now 2-2 I could not believe it!!!! We are now level game on as the game progressed it looked like Port vale were going to snatch it, we held on for pens, proberly the scariest thing to watch in football!!

So it was 2-2 at fulltime, as the pens began i remember doing the cross my heart thing that we find us doing so much at football games, can’t remember how many pens were taken I remember though, i remember us not missing and we won the pen shoot out and jumped for jubilation, we then went into town to enjoy or great victory, unfortunately having a hangover to contend with at work the next day!!

My best day at Christie Park was in fact on the September 19th 2009, when myself and Aaron Matthews unveiled the Morecambe FC bus, in fact this was my proudest moment ever at Christie Park I felt so chuffed that I and Aaron had giving Morecambe FC a bus. :D :D :D :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47500822@N04/4351516519/
thegentlegiant

Postby ockers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:07 pm

not forgetting Tuesday 28th october 1997
Morecambe v Halifax Town
think it was 1st v 2nd that nightGeoff Horsfield and Brian Kilkline on the teamsheet for The shaymen
probably one of the best midweek night games I can remember in the Conference
but i'm sure someone will post a more memorable one
1 1 and a cracking game nearly 4000 on that night more than Blackpool that night
we squeezed in on the open terrace
remember dave miller getting injured
any recollections on this one get to me if you can, as well as contributing to mark's excellent prize draw
ockers

Postby Morecambe FC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Some great memories so far and you all have till 5pm tomorrow, Monday, to enter your recollections either by replying on this thread or by email to office@morecambefc.com.

Match tickets and curry in hospitality for 2 at the Burton game for the winners.

Go on you know you want to!!!

Commercial dept.
Morecambe FC

Postby Morecambe FC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Just under an hour left till the 5pm deadline. We have had some cracking entries sent to the office@morecambefc.com but the winners might be still to enter.

The prize is 2 x match tickets and hospitality (curry) at tomorrow nights game v Burton.

Any winner under 16 must be accompanied by an adult in order to claim the prize.

Get writing and I look forward to reading all entries in full after 5pm.

Commercial dept.
Morecambe FC

Postby Morecambe FC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Thank you for all of the entries. The jury has deliberated and the results are in and verified.

The 2 pairs of match tickets + hospitality to tomorrow's Burton game go to:

Mrs Susan Wade & Mrs Linda Ellis.

Congratulations to both Ladies and I look forward to welcoming you and your guests to tomorrows game.

Special mention to Bigreddog and the gentle giant for 2 great entries and a pint to Sam and Darren when I see you tomorrow night.

Commercial dept.
Morecambe FC

Postby Sammy h » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm

One of my favourite Tuesday night games was against Dagenham back in the conference, think it was the season when them and Boston were at the top. I must have only been about 9 or 10 and had grown to hate Dagenham.

The game finished 1-1 after a Peter Thompson overhead kick in the last seconds of the game. Lets hope tomorrow is a good one.
Sammy h

Postby thegentlegiant » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Morecambe FC wrote:Thank you for all of the entries. The jury has deliberated and the results are in and verified.

The 2 pairs of match tickets + hospitality to tomorrow's Burton game go to:

Mrs Susan Wade & Mrs Linda Ellis.

Congratulations to both Ladies and I look forward to welcoming you and your guests to tomorrows game.

Special mention to Bigreddog and the gentle giant for 2 great entries and a pint to Sam and Darren when I see you tomorrow night.

Commercial dept.

cheers pal see you in the bar after the game! :D
thegentlegiant

Postby bigreddog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Many thanks Mark. It was fun trawling through the night match memories. See you at the game tomorrow evening.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
bigreddog

Postby ockers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 pm

bigreddog wrote:Many thanks Mark. It was fun trawling through the night match memories. See you at the game tomorrow evening.

make sure you buy a programme Darren
8-)
ockers

Postby bigreddog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 pm

I was expecting one with the package Sean, but everyone should buy one anyway, historic as it is. Can't believe we're onto our last night match. Things are rapidly turning into a series of events for the last time. Soon enough it will be our last bank holiday kick off.
Fans' Club Morecambe

bigreddog

Postby thegentlegiant » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Just changed my mind tonights evening game was the best i have seen, actioned packed, great atmosphere and great result :D
thegentlegiant

Postby John L » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 pm

thegentlegiant wrote:Just changed my mind tonights evening game was the best i have seen, actioned packed, great atmosphere and great result :D

Typical.... you win a prize then go back on your word!!!

(Have to agree with you though!)
John L

Postby shrimper » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Sammy h wrote:One of my favourite Tuesday night games was against Dagenham back in the conference, think it was the season when them and Boston were at the top. I must have only been about 9 or 10 and had grown to hate Dagenham.

The game finished 1-1 after a Peter Thompson overhead kick in the last seconds of the game. Lets hope tomorrow is a good one.

Yes - I remember that. I was on my honeymoon up at Oasis (Center Parcs) at Penrith but drove down to watch it and then went back after the game.

A very memorable night indeed.
;)
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 pm

one of my 'strangest' memories of a night match was when I was about six. My dad and I used to stand by the pie hatch on the paddock and Steve Done was my favourite player because he was the only one I could see clearly (it was before I found out I was as blind as a bat and needed glasses!) There never used to be advertising boards, just the rail, so if a ball came out of play there I'd sometimes nip under and throw it back. On one occasion I grabbed the ball and glanced up to see who to throw it to just in time to see a giant of a player coming at me full speed, unable to stop! He hoisted me up, complete with ball then set me back down about 10 yards further towards the corner flag, patted me on the head and took the ball off an ever so slightly bewildered child!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mounse mk2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 am

Was Morecambe 5 + 3 Fleetwood 0 a mid week game.

A classic if it was, just for the scoreboard
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Return to General Discussion