St Johnstone bid for Haining

St Johnstone bid for Haining

Postby Duffman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 pm

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12956_5893208,00.html

Skysports.com understands St Johnstone have lodged a bid for Morecambe defender Will Haining.

He's far too good for League 2 but I hope this is just a rumour and nothing comes of it.
Duffman

Re: St Johnstone bid for Haining

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Callum wrote:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12956_5893208,00.html

Skysports.com understands St Johnstone have lodged a bid for Morecambe defender Will Haining.

He's far too good for League 2 but I hope this is just a rumour and nothing comes of it.

We can't be that desperate for cash....so it's really a case of does Will want to move back to Scotland bearing in mind that he wanted a move back to the North West due to his family being settled here and would he be guaranteed a starting role week in, week out as he is at Morecambe? Obviously salary comes into it, but I'd like to think that his impact he has had to our team would be rewarded both contractually and financially to ensure he stays at CP for the longer term.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

I guess it would have to be a very generous offer for us to even consider releasing a player who on current form is no doubt one of the first on the team sheet. I know very little about St Johnstone but whether they have the financial clout to finance such a deal must be debatable.

The annoying thing is that the offer has been publicised in the first place. I presume the details have originated from a St Johnstone source and can only really serve to unsettle the player.

St Johnstone aren't exactly a leading light in the SPL but for a Glasgow lad the lure of playing the Old Firm eight times a season must be very appealing. I hope he can put that aside and realise the future potential of Morecambe instead of a yo yo existence between the SPL and the much less attractive Scottish First Division.

PLEASE STAY WILL!
Burnley Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 pm

It's entirely down to whether Will fancies the move or not.

He is an excellent player and offers a lot to our team.

But we got him for nothing, he's on a two-year deal and it'd take a decent bid to get him.

Bents is now fit (and I don't want to get into a debate about who is the better player or with which player we'd be stronger - fact is we DO have cover) and if Will does want to talk to St Johnstone and they do match our valuation (which must be high) then at least we'd be bringing in cash, potentially to use on other players in other positions.

But I want him to stay.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:47 pm

I would be supprised if he wanted to move back North as like has been said he wanted a move back to the North West.

No doubt if he wanted to stay in Scotland he could have done in the summer instead of going through all the hassle of going out on trial to North West teams.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:47 pm

hmmmm hope it's just paper talk, but ive got a feeling he would obviously give it some hard thinking as he does look happy with us at MFC

but with the lad being Scotish, i think he would/could take the offer

at least we have cover with defenders ie. Jimbo and then Parrish who could move into the middle then Moss in at fullback
George Dawes

Postby paulshrimp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:28 pm

He is a good player who we need to keep. We should be able to build a defence around him. If he did go in this transfer window it would probably too late for us to use the money now. If you want a long range bet Stewart Drummond will end up in the back three/four!
paulshrimp

Postby ezz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:29 pm

I think we have to accept the offer first before Will has a chance to decide, I think our board will keep him unless a substanial fee was offered as we are more ambitious these days. I think right now we are a club buzzing and could well be in a play off place come april/may whilst in a new stadium come August. Given that we are unlikely to be bringing anyone in it would have to be an offer we cant refuse.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:34 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I would be supprised if he wanted to move back North as like has been said he wanted a move back to the North West.

No doubt if he wanted to stay in Scotland he could have done in the summer instead of going through all the hassle of going out on trial to North West teams.

on the assumption that his wife prefers living in the North West why on earth would he want to move to a place like St Johnstone !!
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Heysham_red » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:on the assumption that his wife prefers living in the North West why on earth would he want to move to a place like St Johnstone !!

Ok I am going to bite, St Johnstone isn't a place, its a name of a team. St Johnstone play in Perth.
Heysham_red

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Heysham_red wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:on the assumption that his wife prefers living in the North West why on earth would he want to move to a place like St Johnstone !!

Ok I am going to bite, St Johnstone isn't a place, its a name of a team. St Johnstone play in Perth.

I did know that.

It was a comment re his model wife !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
I did know that.

It was a comment re his model wife !

She looks real to me! ;)

:lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby james456 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:28 pm

He's one of our best players and signed on a two year contract so I can't see him going cheaply (if indeed at all). But considering we paid no transfer fee, I'd accept a good bid if one came in. Plus, look at the cover we have in that position: Artell, Bentley, Adams, Parrish, McStay, Winters, Jackson. I wouldn't bother signing a replacement if he did go.
james456

Postby Peperami no. 1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 pm

james456 wrote:He's one of our best players and signed on a two year contract so I can't see him going cheaply (if indeed at all). But considering we paid no transfer fee, I'd accept a good bid if one came in. Plus, look at the cover we have in that position: Artell, Bentley, Adams, Parrish, McStay, Winters, Jackson. I wouldn't bother signing a replacement if he did go.

Let's hope Will stays, quality calming influence at the back who is confident in his own ability. If he goes it should be for a club record fee.
Peperami no. 1

Postby shrimpnsave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm

football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 pm

just rumours then good hope he stays. Unless we get a very good offer for him.
heysham_mfc

Postby steve mfc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm

james456 wrote:He's one of our best players and signed on a two year contract so I can't see him going cheaply (if indeed at all). But considering we paid no transfer fee, I'd accept a good bid if one came in. Plus, look at the cover we have in that position: Artell, Bentley, Adams, Parrish, McStay, Winters, Jackson. I wouldn't bother signing a replacement if he did go.

As you say we do have cover for that position but none of the players mentioned are as good, the defence has been greatly improved with the arrival of Haining the last thing we want to do is loose one of our best players even if there is decent fee involved.

If it wasn't for Haining then i doubt if we would be playing 4-4-2 and more than likely would end up reverting too three centre backs.
steve mfc

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:24 pm

i think there's only a few days left in this transfer window anyway
George Dawes

Postby ockers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 pm

dont think michelle wants to go back to scotland so theres no chance according to my oldham buddie
so lets not fret............ 8-)
ockers

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Return to General Discussion