My biggest concern just gets bigger.............

My biggest concern just gets bigger.............

Postby BHmfc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 pm

I know we are only 2 games into the season but one of my biggest concerns during the summer was the amount of 'new' players signed by ourselves who had been released by their old clubs (put bluntly, their old clubs wanted rid). Now we find ourselves in a position where we have to release players to bring more players in, and reading between the lines, one of the players we are looking at is, surprise surprise, a free agent. I,m not saying all released players
are sub-standard, but clubs generally don't give away star players (unless his name is Stanley). I believe SM is a great manager and has done great things for the club, but maybe now is the time to spend a little money rather than relying on 'free' players. I know SM is getting some stick from certain quarters but he really does have the best interests of the club at heart, maybe a banner proclaiming 'SAMMY KNOWS BEST' would not go amiss this season, after all,lets all be realistic,a mid table finish would be a great season for us.
BHmfc

Re: My biggest concern just gets bigger.............

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Arse sign (30 something) Silvestre !!!!!! some reports free and some reports £700,000 ! backward move or one of stabilising a questionable defence ? ( different league I know, but could have some relevance for your question ! )
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Curly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Which side of the fence are you on? :lol:
On one hand you don't seem to like SMs dramatic change of the first team line up, but on the other, you think people should believe in SM, let him get on with it and trust his judgement.
:? :? :? :?

Personally, I'm not worried about the changes, think SM is building for future (which may mean having to watch a few "off days" as players gel and improve their game together).

Remember, didn't we start last season with a draw and a loss? ;)

I understand people worry about the season ahead because we haven't won a game yet but theres 40 odd games to go.

Just because players are free doesn't mean their poor quality to be "got rid of" , maybe just surplus to requirements as squads grow or don't fit into a managers plans.
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:11 am

BHmfc wrote: I,m not saying all released players
are sub-standard, but clubs generally don't give away star players (unless his name is Stanley). I believe SM is a great manager and has done great things for the club, but maybe now is the time to spend a little money rather than relying on 'free' players. I know SM is getting some stick from certain quarters but he really does have the best interests of the club at heart, maybe a banner proclaiming 'SAMMY KNOWS BEST' would not go amiss this season, after all,lets all be realistic,a mid table finish would be a great season for us.

You say "Sammy knows best" but then have a go at him for spending no money? Make up your mind!
campdave

Postby nobbyshrimp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:27 am

Don't agree with you, sorry. You only need to 'pay' for a player under contract to another club. There are thousands of players out of work at the moment who have been released and not found new clubs and this doesn't mean they are all no good, although a small number probably are. Wonder what Scunthorpe think about getting Thommo for free at the end of his contract and subsequently 'released', just to use as an example. Yes, if a certain player fits the mould of exactly what you're looking for but he is under contract then you might have to negotiate to buy him but remember we are a small 2nd division league club, not a major player throwing cash around. Trust Sammy :!: I am worried and don't mind admitting it, but hey..its football you can't expect it win,win,win all the time. It can't be easy for Sammy and Mark whilst also trying to balance the books, but so far so good...we're playing league soccer :)
nobbyshrimp

Postby Shire Shrimp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:25 am

nobbyshrimp wrote:we're playing league soccer

Well said Nobby! There seems to be a lot of concern & negetivity knocking about at the minute. Perhaps this is because we as fans have raised our expectations now we are in the League. Perhaps some fans are expecting instant results.

To those people who left the Rotherham match after their third went in, to those who are doubting our abilities on the pitch, who think its all starting to go Pete Tong... You are Morecambe supporters, support your team, we are playing at the highest level the club has ever played - lap it up & enjoy it, embrace the highs and lows and all the emotions that brings, its all part of the experience of supporting your team. If we cant attract top name players, if we cant complete financially in the tranfer market, then so be it. Thats because we are still a small club at this level, and that is one of the reasons I love this club. I'd have more concerns if we were splashing out, buying players willy nilly, without the financial clout necessary. But thankfully we are not, and that fills me with confidence that our board and the management team know exactly what they are doing.

Trust, respect and support, thats what I will continue to give the club I love.
Shire Shrimp

Postby Weetabix Kid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:49 am

nobbyshrimp wrote:we're playing league soccer :)

its Football

none of that yank crap on here thanks (bar USA Shrimp)
Weetabix Kid

Postby nobbyshrimp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:08 am

Weetabix Kid wrote:
nobbyshrimp wrote:we're playing league soccer :)

its Football

none of that yank crap on here thanks (bar USA Shrimp)

Apologises......you're right :oops: :oops: Where the hell did that come from :oops: Damn :!:
nobbyshrimp

Postby Voice at the back » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:33 am

What is it with people leaving the games early by the way, it's not as if its really hard to get out :roll: . Have they got something better to go to .

Wait untill the end. Sing a song. Clap your team off the pitch and show some appreciation for the effort they put in. :D
Voice at the back

Postby marky » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am

They didn't deserve to be clapped off last Saturday. I too don't agree with leaving before the end, but when they play so spinelessly, I certainly don't see why they should be appreciated!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Voice at the back » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

Should the players do the same. If we are crap at singing should they just walk off or do they still come over and clap the crowd for supporting them.

It's easy to support a team that wins when really it is when you loose that the support is needed more.
Voice at the back

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Money is available for Sammy to sign the right players and was throughout the summer. BUT other clubs can offer higher weekly wages and are positioned a lot more favourably geographically, a factor that many managers in the past have found to be a problem.

As has been said more times than I'm sure Sammy wants reminding of, but until we off load some players we can't bring any more in due to the leagues restrictions about total expenditure.

One could argue that Sammy may have been unwise in offering certain players an extension to their existing contracts but show me a manager in football who gets it right every time when it comes to such matters.

I'm openly critical of the manager in certain on-field matters but Sammy and Mark for all their faults continue to work to the best of their abilities for our club.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Voice at the back wrote:Should the players do the same. If we are crap at singing should they just walk off or do they still come over and clap the crowd for supporting them.

The players don't pay for supporters to support them, so your argument is completely invalid.
marky

Postby Phoenix » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Ahh, so you have to pay to be entitled to an opinion. Does the value of your opinion depend on how much you pay? What's the formula for a lifetime season ticket holder who doesn't know what their lifetime will be?

I haven't paid to get in for quite a few years, I'd better shut up now.

Pathetic argument.
Phoenix

Postby bigreddog » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Although I was less than impressed by last week's showing I'm realistic. Sammy McIlroy has more football knowledge is his left big toe than I have in my entire body. He is proven at this level and so is Lills. I will criticise when we've played badly or I think we've got the tactics wrong, but that's my opinion and that's all it is. I don't put my professional capability or beliefs on the line like the manager does. he gets judged in the real world, the fans selections only get judged in our heads when we're in the bar afterwards.

Unlike some however, I don't think criticism is the same as disloyalty. So when somebody has their opinion they're entitled to it. Yes we've signed quite a few, but then if you look at all levels any club in a period of transition will sign probably more than they would like to comfortably integrate. I believed before we'd kicked a ball that the summer signings were good and just because we were poor last week doesn't mean I get to be a monday morning quarterback (apologies for the americanism). Any criticism of individuals from me isn't personal and I always recognise that no footballer goes onto the park to play crap deliberately.

So. Lets put it all down to experience and get down to Bury and give 'em hell.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Christies Child wrote:
I'm openly critical of the manager in certain on-field matters but Sammy and Mark for all their faults continue to work to the best of their abilities for our club.

I'm sure they'll sleep better tonight after your faint praise :roll: But you'll still have a go at Sammy for picking his mates won't you?
campdave

Postby marky » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Phoenix wrote:Ahh, so you have to pay to be entitled to an opinion. Does the value of your opinion depend on how much you pay? What's the formula for a lifetime season ticket holder who doesn't know what their lifetime will be?

I haven't paid to get in for quite a few years, I'd better shut up now.

Pathetic argument.

Lifetime season ticket holders have paid for their lifetime season ticket, have they not? By the way, I didn't say you have to pay to be entitled to an opinion. I said the players don't pay for the supporters to support. I know you love an argument, but please don't put words in people's mouths.
marky

Postby BHmfc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:21 pm

To clarify the point i was trying to make is 'yes' i do support SM but the danger for us as a club is that if we don't spend real money on 1 or 2 quality players to support the 'freebies', then the squad will never be as strong as we would all like.
BHmfc

Postby Currey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:33 pm

I have always wondered how SM would do this season because in his history he doesnt really stay at clubs that long he is a manager who i known for taking clubs who aren't "doing so well" building them up and then buggaring off, he has done it before in the past and I think maybe he is a little Bored of morecambeFC you know the challeneg has gone.
Currey

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Currey wrote:I have always wondered how SM would do this season because in his history he doesnt really stay at clubs that long he is a manager who i known for taking clubs who aren't "doing so well" building them up and then buggaring off, he has done it before in the past and I think maybe he is a little Bored of morecambeFC you know the challeneg has gone.

And yet more conclusion jumping this week. All on the back on one defeat!

Some people on here should go into creative writing, they're very talented.
campdave

Postby Phoenix » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:06 pm

I said the players don't pay for the supporters to support

Where does money come into the discussion? Players are just as entitled to their opinions of you as you are of them. If they think they've done their best and you boo them, why should they come over and applaud you after a game? You seem to think paying to see them (implied by your players don't pay comment) that it entitles you to a fixed show - pre-match warm-up, 90 minutes football and post-match applause. They're no different to you & I, full of emotion and I bet they get just as pissed off at the crowd as you get pissed off at them. Money, first mentioned by you marky, is irrelevant.
Phoenix

Postby marky » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Unlike some people, I couldn't care less if players come and clap supporters (which they never have where I and my family have always stood). Football is an entertainment business. I wasn't remotely entertained on Saturday. Therefore, I fail to see why the source of the lack of entertainment should be 'appreciated'. If you go to a restaurant, and the food is awful, you don't leave a tip (and some would rightly kick up a stink). If you go to a concert and the band is terrible, you are rightly disgruntled. Footballers are paid to entertain the supporters of the team they play for. If they fail in that, then they have no right to expect to be applauded off. I've watched us lose many games over the years, and Saturday was up there with the worst performances. Sorry, but I won't 'appreciate' that.
marky

Postby Curly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:19 pm

BHmfc wrote:To clarify the point i was trying to make is 'yes' i do support SM but the danger for us as a club is that if we don't spend real money on 1 or 2 quality players to support the 'freebies', then the squad will never be as strong as we would all like.

The problem is support.
We are only a small club, we don't have a huge support, most fans turn up week in week out and are very loyal but if we started to spend big, how would the club recoup the money? With only limited routes to do so,
We could up ticket prices- Unpopular and would drive away some fans.
Charge more for merchandise- Arn't shirts dear enough?
The other routes involve bigger sponsors etc, but its hard when their names are only seen by a limited number of fans.
SKYs TV money would help but you can't rely on that each season as deals change every few years.
We need to be realistic and the best thing we can do as fans is try to convince more people to come to games and build our support, then the club will have more money to compete.
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Voice at the back wrote:Should the players do the same. If we are crap at singing should they just walk off or do they still come over and clap the crowd for supporting them.

It's easy to support a team that wins when really it is when you loose that the support is needed more.

aree with you the players can't just say this support is crap I don't think I will bother with the last 10 mins
heysham_mfc

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Shire Shrimp wrote:Perhaps this is because we as fans have raised our expectations now we are in the League. Perhaps some fans are expecting instant results.

Nonsense! :lol:
It was the same when we we're in the Conference under Jim, if the team looked clueless and played awful like they did on Saturday there was always a post mortem on here.
Performances are judged game by game and not over a season, next week it could be all love & roses if we perform and get a result............that's Football!
HALMA 1983

Next

Return to General Discussion