Morecambe 0 Carlisle 1 f/t

Morecambe 0 Carlisle 1 f/t

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Early goal after 4.5 minutes. Morecambe attacked well but Carlisle broke quickly, beat the offside trap and left them one on one. We've attacked well since, so heads not dropped by the sound of it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 0 Carlisle 1 h/t

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Half time. First half was entertaining. We've played well and on another occasion we'd have been winning. They cleared one off the line right on half time and the Carlisle keeper had an excellent save, which he tipped over the bar for the ref to give... a goal kick!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 0 Carlisle 1

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 pm

3307 on tonight, 1171 from Carlisle

Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 0 Carlisle 1

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Unlucky guys - only heard snippets on radio but 1 0 is no disgrace against league 1 side how close was artells shot in 95th minute
Blackpool Shrimp

Re: Morecambe 0 Carlisle 1 f/t

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 pm

0-1 full time.

Sounds like we played really well and with a little luck, we'd have got something. Even our tame Carlisle fan, James, in the chat room said the Radio Carlisle reporters were wondering how it stayed 0-1. They were also pretty amazed at the Carlisle keeper making a good save to tip the ball over for the goal kick!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Shrimpman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:03 pm

i was stood ont car wash side & from my view it looked like their player was offside :evil:

The linesman on that side was bloody awful all the game TBH.He gave offsides when it suited him & missed a few dodgy challenges.
Shrimpman

Postby George Dawes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 pm

10 out of 10 for effort we look a better side with a flat back four, and for me id have Mullin on the bench for the next game id just use him as a impact sub

we just seem to play the long ball all the time when he's on, when he came off i thought Twissy and Jevons where class and linked well with the midfield and played some good quick passing football what where capable of
George Dawes

Postby Old Man Kensey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:54 pm

He didn't beat the off-side trap! He was stood well off-side!!!

Shite ref and a linesman who was there for a night out.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Well one thing for sure about tonights game 'we all see things differently'.

For me it was a poor team selection by the manager.

The main thing we've come to realise about Laurie Wilson is he's superb going forward with Danny A doing the defensive duties. Tonight weith DA confined to the bench Wilson's excellence on the wing was negated and we hardly ever saw him have a run until too late in the second half.

For me MrT was only a shadow of the player we know and is wasted playing wide.

Overall a performance lacking spirit and not in keeping with the FA Cup performances we've come to expect from our team.

The less said about the lateness of subs (as usual) the better!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Vinny » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:He didn't beat the off-side trap! He was stood well off-side!!!

Agree. Very poor performances all night by the officials. Thought the ref had a blue shirt on most of the night :evil:

DawZi wrote:10 out of 10 for effort we look a better side with a flat back four, and for me id have Mullin on the bench for the next game id just use him as a impact sub

we just seem to play the long ball all the time when he's on, when he came off i thought Twissy and Jevons where class and linked well with the midfield and played some good quick passing football what where capable of

Good call. Totally agree. Mullin is not performing as we know he is cabable and is looking frustrated, isolated and under achieving. Waynaldo looked very spritely and lively when he came on. Thought we would have seen Wainwright for the last 15 at least. Missed opportunity to beat a very beatable and mediocre team. We could have and should have won that game.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby shrimper » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Christies Child wrote:Well one thing for sure about tonights game 'we all see things differently'.

The main thing we've come to realise about Laurie Wilson is he's superb going forward with Danny A doing the defensive duties. Tonight weith DA confined to the bench Wilson's excellence on the wing was negated and we hardly ever saw him have a run until too late in the second half.

Overall a performance lacking spirit and not in keeping with the FA Cup performances we've come to expect from our team.

Well Neil, you've surpassed yourself there mate. I mean you talk some utter botox at times but that just about takes the fig-roll.

We had about 80% of the meaningful possession, about 90% of the presentable chances. I'd like to see you stand face to face with the likes of Stanners, Gary Hunter, Haining, Parrish, Jevons and Wilson and tell them they lacked spirit tonight.

And, after the display from the same side on Saturday I'd be really interested to know what team you'd have picked tonight.

Gear, brain, mouth.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby steve mfc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:30 pm

If it was a boxing match we would have won on points comfortably, but its about taking chances when you get them and they took theirs even if it was offside and we missed ours.

Only three attempts on target but twelve off tells the story really, cant fault the effort, or spirit, maybe i was at a different game.

We will play worse that that and win games that's for sure, as for the team selection it worked against Crewe so there was no reason to think it wouldn't tonight.

Personally i would have liked Wainwright to come on for Mullin and switched to 5-3-2, anyway lets take our frustration out on Cheltenham on Saturday and pick up three vital points.
steve mfc

Postby scalehallshrimp » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:31 pm

very disappointing,hampered by some woeful finishing and a diabolical referee especially in 2nd half.We really should have not lost this,stanners missing by inches in the last few minutes
scalehallshrimp

Postby parkyboy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:46 pm

The dark side of christies child has surfaced again must have been at a different match or wearing dark giasses or maybe listening to radio cumbria . The carlisle team were like terriers with the incentive of the early goal and werte not going to give up that lead easily. They were helped in that quest by officials wno by deciding not to be homers helped yhe cause of the away team. Some team soon will feel the full force of our attacking play which can start on saturday against cheltenham
parkyboy

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:50 pm

shrimper wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Well one thing for sure about tonights game 'we all see things differently'.

Well Neil, you've surpassed yourself there mate. I mean you talk some utter botox at times but that just about takes the fig-roll.

We had about 80% of the meaningful possession, about 90% of the presentable chances. I'd like to see you stand face to face with the likes of Stanners, Gary Hunter, Haining, Parrish, Jevons and Wilson and tell them they lacked spirit tonight.

And, after the display from the same side on Saturday I'd be really interested to know what team you'd have picked tonight.

Gear, brain, mouth.[/quote

I say it as I see it Glen. Interestingly quite a number of fans came out of the ground expressing very similar views.

Surely you have to agree that the team lost something by not utilising the attacking prowess of Laurie for most of the game. Something that has been a feature of his game to date.

As for team selection...no recognised wide men from the start. Wainwright impressed in the first game did he not? Michael playing out of position for the majority of the game. Duff on too late. When we play the ball to feet and on the deck we are superb, saw very little of that tonight. Too many high balls to PM who was isolated.

As I said, not the usual type of FA Cup performance I've come to expect from our team over the years.

Anyhow we can now concentrate on progressing up League 2, hopefully to a play off place.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am

Christies Child wrote:[quote="As for team selection...no recognised wide men from the start. Wainwright impressed in the first game did he not? Michael playing out of position for the majority of the game. Duff on too late. When we play the ball to feet and on the deck we are superb, saw very little of that tonight. Too many high balls to PM who was isolated.

As I said, not the usual type of FA Cup performance I've come to expect from our team over the years.

Anyhow we can now concentrate on progressing up League 2, hopefully to a play off place.

No - I don't think Wainer played his best at Carlisle to be honest. We played with wide men there, they countered it really well, Loz was playing at wingback and they snuffed him and Wainer out completely and then bossed us in midfield for most of the game. We fought back well when our backs were to the wall and took the very rare chances that came our way but, in fact, we played better, had many more chances and much more of the possession tonight.

Anyway it was the 'lack of spirit' I was getting at - there was plenty of spirit tonight, we just missed our chances, as others have said.

They neutralised (for the most part) our normal system at their place but Sammy re-jigged it and the result was far, far more chances and much more decent possession tonight.

If Twissy in particular, but others as well, had taken the good chances that the system delivered, we'd have been saying what a great team selection - for this particular game - it was.

I would have had Duffy on earlier but, apart from that, I think you're just being smart in hindsight as we've lost. I don't think it was anything about a lack of spirit, nor about team selection.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby CASS » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:32 am

Old Man Kensey wrote:He didn't beat the off-side trap! He was stood well off-side!!!

I have to agree with you regarding the ref etc But after they scored I can only imagine the conversation was as follows "Off side ref" shouted the back line "No, goal" said the ref "who played him on ?" and the ref pointed at Parrish who was loitering to deep just outside the box on the opposite side to the attack.
Last edited by CASS on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby mfcbro » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:55 am

Dont know who does the match stats on the main website,but he must have been at a different game to me.57%-43% possession in Carlisles favour, i dont think so.We dominated most of the game but failed to take our chances.Lost count of the shots that went over the bar.Overall i think we played well,bring on Cheltenham.
mfcbro

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:12 am

Disappointed, but not despondent.

After a shaky start we took the game right to them. We failed to win through a mix of poor finishing and a touch of bad luck.

I think all the Carlisle fans will have gone home relieved, realising their side had effectively done a smash and grab on us.

It bodes well for the rest of the season if we can continue to create chances like we did - at some point a side will come to Christie Park and suffer a heavy thrashing.

We certainly didn't look like the League 2 side last night!
Martin

Postby campdave » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:04 am

Shame to give away such a soft goal at the end. After that, both teams only had a couple of decent chances, didn't feel either keeper had a lot of work to do.

I think we wasted a lot of possession on the edge of the Carlisle box trying to thread balls through the middle when it might have been better to get the ball out wide and crossed in.

Still felt it was a decent performance over all, and a similar one at the weekend against Cheltenham will hopefully see a result in our favour.
campdave

Postby Weetabix Kid » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:03 am

We were a bit like Arsenal a few years back where they tried to walk it into the net and never bloody shoot !! (a L2 Version)

We bossed them for 85mins which we have to be pleased with.

Jevons' link up play and running the channels was superb but I wish he would get in the box more and be the 'fox in the box' striker yesterday was crying out for.

Mullins is a great target man but can't finish a one on one if his life depended on it......

The move where Stanners shot narrowly wide was awesome and deserved a goal.

Gutted overall the money for winning could of got us a pacy winger which we really need (Thommo???)

Anyways 6 points v Cheltenham and Darlo and where on our way!!
Weetabix Kid

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:08 am

mfcbro wrote:Dont know who does the match stats on the main website,but he must have been at a different game to me.57%-43% possession in Carlisles favour, i dont think so.We dominated most of the game but failed to take our chances.Lost count of the shots that went over the bar.Overall i think we played well,bring on Cheltenham.

Possession can be a misleading stat. That's why I used the phrase 'meaningful possession' in my first post.

A lot of their possession was with Kavanagh turning circles in the middle because we were closing them down well. Then Clayton was running with the ball a lot but usually not getting anywhere.

We passed it about well and were more direct and the number of chances and number of corners we forced were the result.

I think Sammy may well revert to the five across the back (giving Wilson more of a free run) in future games but it really didn't work against Carlisle at their place.

He changed it for Crewe so the players were ready for using it last night.

Weetabix - I agree about pace. I've said for a while that we should look at a loanee from a bigger club to offer us that. Good players with pace at our level are not ten a penny and are in demand.
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 am

Weetabix Kid wrote:We were a bit like Arsenal a few years back where they tried to walk it into the net and never bloody shoot !! (a L2 Version)

We bossed them for 85mins which we have to be pleased with.

Jevons' link up play and running the channels was superb but I wish he would get in the box more and be the 'fox in the box' striker yesterday was crying out for.

Mullins is a great target man but can't finish a one on one if his life depended on it......

The move where Stanners shot narrowly wide was awesome and deserved a goal.

Gutted overall the money for winning could of got us a pacy winger which we really need (Thommo???)

Anyways 6 points v Cheltenham and Darlo and where on our way!!

......you and me both, and as a 'loyal club man' it only contributes to my despondency of last night and this morning. The loss of an additional £100K into the clubs coffers makes last nights defeat even more hard to take. :cry:
Christies Child

Postby Christies Child » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 am

shrimper wrote:
mfcbro wrote:Dont know who does the match stats on the main website,but he must have been at a different game to me.57%-43% possession in Carlisles favour, i dont think so.We dominated most of the game but failed to take our chances.Lost count of the shots that went over the bar.Overall i think we played well,bring on Cheltenham.

Possession can be a misleading stat. That's why I used the phrase 'meaningful possession' in my first post.

A lot of their possession was with Kavanagh turning circles in the middle because we were closing them down well. Then Clayton was running with the ball a lot but usually not getting anywhere.

We passed it about well and were more direct and the number of chances and number of corners we forced were the result.

I think Sammy may well revert to the five across the back (giving Wilson more of a free run) in future games but it really didn't work against Carlisle at their place.

He changed it for Crewe so the players were ready for using it last night.

Weetabix - I agree about pace. I've said for a while that we should look at a loanee from a bigger club to offer us that. Good players with pace at our level are not ten a penny and are in demand.[/quote]

I can think of somebdy who doesn't live that far away...but could we afford him? ;)
Christies Child

Postby ezz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 am

I think the performance was very good last night, against a team with some names that have had premiership + experience too. They may be older now but their fitness is still top notch, I'm talking about you Pericards, Harte, Kavanagh's etc. They created one clear chance, to me he looked offside but I'll never know certainly looked more offside then Jevons was flagged for a couple of times.
My biggest criticism was the that if we are going to play with 3 center mids, last night was Hunter, Stanley and Craney is that you have to have 3 players who can run their arse off. Hunter and Stanley did just this but then for the majority lack the quality to cut defences open or score (Oh if only Stanleys shot went in). Craney on the other hand can't hustle and bustle other center mids as well but has the quality. Unfortunately it was easy for me to see where the system failed at times as so many times Parrish got sucked in to close down Craney's man (or the spare man, not saying it was his fault all the time) leaving their wide player completely unmarked. Granted they didn't take advantage of this but it was there to see in my eyes.

Altogether though I thought it was a great performance and should have had something out of the game, man of the match for me was either Hunter or Jevons. Curtis played excellently when he came on as always. Match officials, poor, he looked like Mark Halsey was it him?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Next

Return to General Discussion