O/T Heysham 3 Power Station

O/T Heysham 3 Power Station

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Planning approval 'fast tracked'. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8349715.stm

Now if they could just get a nice road link in place...

With the construction jobs from a major road, followed by another power station, there could be thousands of new jobs in the area for years, a real boost to the local economy.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: O/T Heysham 3 Power Station

Postby greenshrimp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Excellent news! Will bring some much needed employment to the area and great for helping to ensure the UK has a sustainable energy supply!
greenshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm sure the Greens will have plenty to say about the fact that our corner of the UK is in line to have 4 of the new stations.

I suppose the one way to look at it is that it will bring much needed employment to the region, especially in the depressed area of West Cumbria.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mike W. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:29 pm

No nuclear power station can be blamed for global warming - sorry climate change - you have to call it that since the facts do not fit the Global Warming name !
Mike W.

Postby bigreddog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 pm

It's good news for the local economy and for energy security and supply. It's going to be expensive ( about £2.5b per power station) but we have to reduce our depedence on fossil fuels. The greens will no doubt look to oppose them. We still need to identify a place for storage of spent fuel/waste, but that's something that can be sorted out. I for one look forward to the new jobs.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 pm

bigreddog wrote:It's good news for the local economy and for energy security and supply. It's going to be expensive ( about £2.5b per power station) but we have to reduce our depedence on fossil fuels. The greens will no doubt look to oppose them. We still need to identify a place for storage of spent fuel/waste, but that's something that can be sorted out. I for one look forward to the new jobs.

Giant Axe?
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 am

P/T Indie wrote:
bigreddog wrote:We still need to identify a place for storage of spent fuel/waste, but that's something that can be sorted out.

Giant Axe?

But you'd need to store it away from where people congregate... oh yeah, good plan!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:56 am

Well, after last night...my beloved Anfield will do!!
More seriously why not chuck it on the moon :lol:
It'l glow pretty nicely at night too
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Weetabix Kid » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 am

As long as we keep the bloody Green Party away from it !

We'd all be out of work if they ever got to power
Weetabix Kid

Postby The Marksman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 am

Labour's record on jobs isn't exactly great.

I also appreciate we need more power, but seriously, how is the country going to pay for this?
The Marksman

Postby campdave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:51 am

Why are they being built with help from public money when it's private industry that gets the profits?
campdave

Postby Trevor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 pm

I'm not an expert but I'd think it was to make sure the comapnies build them here instead of building them in a country where the goverment does offer some subsidy. If it was just left to the companies to act on their own we might find all the big nuclear power companies building stations in say China or India and us having to buy power from them in the future.

China's already stockpiling as much fossil fuel as it can because it can see demand being a major factor in its dominance of world markets in 20/30/50 years time.
Trevor

Postby campdave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Trevor wrote:I'm not an expert but I'd think it was to make sure the comapnies build them here instead of building them in a country where the goverment does offer some subsidy. If it was just left to the companies to act on their own we might find all the big nuclear power companies building stations in say China or India and us having to buy power from them in the future.

It's a farce - private industry either pays it's own way, or it f**ks off and lets the public sector run it and the government re-invests any profit.
campdave

Postby mazatec » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:28 pm

ONE HOPES IT GOES AHEAD ,AS ALL MEMBERS OF HEYSHAM GOLF CLUB WILL BE IN FOR A VERY LARGE WINDFALL, EACH MEMBER STANDS TO GAIN UP TO 50K, ACCORDING TO THE BOARD, APPLY FOR MEMBER SHIP AND REAP THE AWARDS.
mazatec

Postby George Dawes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:46 pm

mazatec wrote:ONE HOPES IT GOES AHEAD ,AS ALL MEMBERS OF HEYSHAM GOLF CLUB WILL BE IN FOR A VERY LARGE WINDFALL, EACH MEMBER STANDS TO GAIN UP TO 50K, ACCORDING TO THE BOARD, APPLY FOR MEMBER SHIP AND REAP THE AWARDS.

yeah i heard that over a month ago, and that there was still 30+ membership places left

and it was 60K
George Dawes

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:44 pm

It will be good for local companies such as AB Inspections Ltd 8-)

Hopefully it will improve the economy which means improved sponsorship for the club if more companys come to the are.

Could we have the AB Inspections stadium?
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Aspers » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:21 am

May even tempt me to return home and get a job on the Power Station.
Just imagine, with me at every game we'll be in the North west Counties league in no time at all. 8-)
Aspers

Postby Mighty Red » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:04 pm

All vacancies have been filled.
Mighty Red

Return to General Discussion