Injustice towards football supporters

Injustice towards football supporters

Postby Mike W. » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Can I encourage, please, real fottball supporters with a keeness to see the fair and right treatment of football fans to visit the web site of the Football Supporters Federation at http://www.fsf.org.uk and support a petition to strongly ask Sunderland FC to reconsider their banns imposed on some supporters, many of whom were merely present when an incident happened in Newcastle Station.

Banned Sunderland fans launch Quinn petition appeal

Sunderland supporters unfairly banned by their club from entering the Stadium of Light have come together to launch a petition appealing to chairman Niall Quinn to overturn the club’s decision. The fans have joined forces following an incident which occurred at Newcastle Central Station on Saturday 8th August 2009.

Sunderland season ticket holders who were present at the incident that week received letters from the club informing them they are no longer welcome at the Stadium of Light because of a policy decision to ban anyone accused of violent conduct at football.
This is despite the fact that not one person has been charged with any offence and Sunderland’s own safety officer, Paul Weir, admitted to fans that many will see no further action from Northumbria Police.
Mike W.

Re: Injustice towards football supporters

Postby Number 1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Not being funny, but I would rather sign a petition which asked for better treatment for disabled away fans at Carlisle rather than having them sit in teeming rain. These supporters have done nothing wrong, have paid for substandard treatment, and are the right kind of people who need help. Other people can look after themselves, and if they have never been in trouble before, and there is proof that they've done nothing wrong whatsoever, then there's no need for any petitions as these bans will be quickly overturned. There's no reason for them not to be.
Number 1

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Mike W. wrote:Sunderland season ticket holders who were present at the incident that week received letters from the club informing them they are no longer welcome at the Stadium of Light because of a policy decision to ban anyone accused of violent conduct at football.
This is despite the fact that not one person has been charged with any offence and Sunderland’s own safety officer, Paul Weir, admitted to fans that many will see no further action from Northumbria Police.

I would want to know more about the incident. Simply not being charged doesn't mean they weren't involved "beyond all reasonable doubt" v "on the balance of probability". How/why did Sunderland choose those people to ban? For example, were they hanging around, encouraging the people who were fighting? In that case, there wouldn't be any police charges but they still deserve the ban.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

There's plenty of CCTV footage that did the rounds when this story first broke. Sunderland are perfectly right in their action and I fully support it.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby mickey » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Number 1 wrote: Other people can look after themselves, and if they have never been in trouble before, and there is proof that they've done nothing wrong whatsoever, then there's no need for any petitions as these bans will be quickly overturned. There's no reason for them not to be.

get your head outta your ass you aint got a clue how the system works
mickey

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:37 pm

I notice that by signing the petition you are sleepwalking into becoming a member of the fsf

I am sure that common sense will prevail at sunderland if individuals appeal directly to the club

I also note that the appeal points out the professions of the members, is that a, they must be innocent :?: :?: , i mean we all know doctors, teachers, priests and politicians never do aything wrong, dont we :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby campdave » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 pm

mickey wrote:
get your head outta your ass you aint got a clue how the system works

Thanks for explaining it to us so well.
campdave

Postby durianmuncher » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:44 am

It's quite a process to go through just to sign a petition. I gave up on being asked for verification etc.

I heard about the incident and have sympathy for the Sunderland fans, although highlighting their jobs is a nonsense, and in fact may prove to be counter productive.
durianmuncher

Postby shrimper » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:42 am

Niall Quinn is a very sensible and reasonable man. I'm sure he'll do the right thing when all the evidence and representations have been made.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Mike W. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm

The matter of the disabled facilities at Carisle are of concern and that matter is being persued - but it isn't really relevant to this issue.

On the matter of membership of the Football Supporters Federation, you may wish to know that FSF membership is now actually free for all comers, with a range of entirely optional extras that you get the chance of signing up for, that you do pay for (e.g. the FSF's excellent magazine "The Football Supporter"). Anyone that signs an FSF petition would be approached making you a free member, but if you really do NOT want that then you are perfectly free to opt out. Your signature on the petition would still be gratefully received.

As background the events of the incident at Newcastle station were reported as follows -

Sunderland had been playing a pre-season friendly in Scotland, and during the game an announcement was made that an extra special train was being put on to carry Sunderland fans back home. There was actually another train already arranged that was due to get back sooner but when they offered something like this many did opt to take the offer up.

When the train reached Newcastle those on board were rather surprised to find that it was to terminate there and not go on to Sunderland. However the local Metro system does link the two places and the fans decided to use that to complete their trip home. It was at this point that they found that the coach doors on the train were still locked - and they reportedly stayed locked for another 15 minutes.

Eventually the fans were let out only to find themselves surrounded by the Newcastle police. They found themselves shepherded along the platform by a group of officers behind them. The problem that then arose was that ahead there was another group of officers, with dogs, blocking their way, even though the first group of officers were pushing them onwards.

A lot of pushing and jossling took place and the incident started to get ugly. By the way, none of the CCTV published (even by the police) shows fans attacking the police. There was a lot of chanting and shouting initially but the attitude of the police did get more and more agressive, and they did start to use their batons.

One fan was left lying on the ground bleeding heavily from a head wound. Friends pleaded for help but were either attacked themselves or told to shut up or else. That fan is still undergoing treatment. One of the dogs was released, possibly accidently, inflicting injury on fans.

Subsequently the police made the matter public stating that the fans had started the incident, and published CCTV pics of fans' faces, asking for help in finding them, though none of the pictures showed those fans as doing anything amiss. Those fans did "turn themselves in" rather than be the subject of a manhunt, but to date none have been charged. More than one was shown CCTV footage which was said to support the allegation that they had committed offences but which showed nothing of the kind.

Most of this is supported by witness statements, by the way.

The fans that have had their season tickets suspended were identified from CCTV as being present, but none is seen doing anything.

Of serious concern is the fact that the regional police Complaints Commission, very soon after the incident, released a statement to the effect that the police had done nothing wrong. However, the Complaints Commission had talked to none of the fans involved in reaching that view.

Whatever your view about the affair, it is surely wrong Sunderland FC have taken action against fans accused of nothing (yet at least) and it is that wrong that the petition calls for to be corrected. The matter of the incident in Newcastle Station is still under investigation and possible court action, and action by others should not be taken until that investigation is finalised.

Mike W.
Mike W.

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:46 pm

convinced, i will now sign the petition, years ago mfc played a semi against york at maine rd that was policed :roll:
mrpotatohead

Postby durianmuncher » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 am

mrpotatohead wrote:convinced, i will now sign the petition, years ago mfc played a semi against york at maine rd that was policed :roll:

A semi? I don't remember that, but I do remember us playing York there in an FAcup first round replay after drawing 0-0 at York on a bloody cold and wet day with no roof. The replay was such an anticlimax as we lost 2-0 with both goals in the first 10 minutes and the atmosphere being awful as there were only just over a thousand or so in a big empty stadium. The one good thing to come of that night though was that the Morecambe board were quoted as saying we wouldn't play an FA Cup home tie that far away again, and to date I don't think we have.
durianmuncher

Postby George Dawes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:34 am

durianmuncher wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:convinced, i will now sign the petition, years ago mfc played a semi against york at maine rd that was policed :roll:

A semi? I don't remember that, but I do remember us playing York there in an FAcup first round replay after drawing 0-0 at York on a bloody cold and wet day with no roof. The replay was such an anticlimax as we lost 2-0 with both goals in the first 10 minutes and the atmosphere being awful as there were only just over a thousand or so in a big empty stadium. The one good thing to come of that night though was that the Morecambe board were quoted as saying we wouldn't play an FA Cup home tie that far away again, and to date I don't think we have.

FA CUP round in 1985 was it not 0 - 0 then the replay at Maine road 2 - 1? to York who then went on and played Arsenal in the next round ?
George Dawes

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:24 am

I stand corrected, it was the fa cup, i think we made a loss because of the high policing bill :roll:
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:05 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:I stand corrected, it was the fa cup, i think we made a loss because of the high policing bill :roll:

It had to be The FA Cup, York were a Football League team at the time! That was such a big day out, as was going to Rotherham a few years earlier. I would never have even dreamt that we would one day be playing Rotherham in the league and be above York, simply keeping going until the next season, and if we were lucky, finishing above Lancaster was good enough.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion