Off topic Morocco

Off topic Morocco

Postby Bare bum » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Off to Marakech for 9 days after Crewe.
Any Shrimps Voicers got any good Atlas mountains, desert or any tips to pass on?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Re: Off topic Morocco

Postby pacman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:14 pm

no never been :D but have just come back from mexico on honeymoon ,whilst there put in shr on internet and the only thing that came up was shrimpsvoices ,is there a big shrimps following at this hotel or has some other shrimps fan been to the blue bay :?
pacman

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:59 am

Marrakesh is a magical place.
If you're going with your missus, then remember you are in an Arab country, and she should dress accordingly.
The approach and landing kicks it off. The plane spirals down like into a whirlpool.
The market place and big square is full of all sorts of weird activities, especially at night when all the food stalls get going.
Most of the fun isn't just for the tourists either, so stomach beware.
You can and probably will spend hours in the markets (souqs).
Quality souvenirs, but you need to bargain hard, and don't start if you don't plan to seal the deal.
It's like going back to the Middle Ages, the smells, the sights, the whole lot.
The narrow lanes go everywhere, and once you're sucked in you might have to pay a bob-or-two for a young local to get you out.
Go to the Tanneries, but you'll need a guide.
Get a locals bus out into the hills. Costs next to nowt.
Watch out for the horse and carts, they've got right of way, ie they don't stop!
Meals are cheap(ish). Try a tagine. Don't get ripped-off though.
Mint tea, luvverly, but tell the waiter you want to put the sugar in yourself
Booze isn't freely available, but you'll find it if you're determined.
When we went we started off with 3 days in Marrakesh, then did the following by train. Casablanca, sounds romantic, but it's a big port, and basically a sprawling shit-hole with a few good fish restaurants Then Fez, which is similar to Marrakesh and equally magical. Then the capital, Rabat on the Atlantic coast. Very colonial French and very relaxed. Then back to Marrakesh.
Parlez Francais? Morocco's a good place to practice

Before you go, get the Lonely Planet guide or similar from the library.

This time tomorrow me and Doris'll be on the way to Istanbul, another magical destination.

Enjoy.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:31 am

Couple of tips for Marrakesh airport.
You'll have to join a queue for your visa.
So the quicker you can get off the plane and into the terminal the quicker you'll get through.
There is a money changer afer you've got through immigration.
The rates are as good as in town.
A taxi into town isn't cheap, and you won't find a bus.
Plain Peter

Postby burple » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 am

pacman wrote:no never been :D but have just come back from mexico on honeymoon ,whilst there put in shr on internet and the only thing that came up was shrimpsvoices ,is there a big shrimps following at this hotel or has some other shrimps fan been to the blue bay :?

yes I have been to the bluebay hotel in mexico last year :D
burple

Postby Bare bum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:03 am

just before this gets out of hand, it's Morocco we're focusing on here chaps (chaplets and chappesses).

I think the Blue Bay Hotel thread is on Accyweb.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby durianmuncher » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:38 am

I travelled around Morocco about 6 years ago and enjoyed it very much. The advice about your mrs covering up is good though as mine got non-stop hassle and was totally bemused by it all, and being Asian, she's darker than the Moroccans.

The highlight though, aside from the sights and markets, was drinking mint tea at the tea stalls everywhere. I've tried making mint tea lots of times since, but have never been able to get the same taste as the way it was made in Morocco.
durianmuncher

Postby burple » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:55 am

burple wrote:
pacman wrote:no never been :D but have just come back from mexico on honeymoon ,whilst there put in shr on internet and the only thing that came up was shrimpsvoices ,is there a big shrimps following at this hotel or has some other shrimps fan been to the blue bay :?

yes I have been to the bluebay hotel in mexico last year :D

did you say bluebay... I've been there

Really nice hotel, it has 2 swimming pools. these little golf buggy things to get you about on as it's that big. There is a Mexican, French, Chinese, couple of pool snack bars and a big buffet. Very very nice food.

Lots to see in the local area too Chichen itza was amazing and cenotes are worth visiting too

anything else you need just shout. I'm always happy to help
burple

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Peter wrote:once you're sucked in you might have to pay a bob-or-two for a young local to get you out.

Did'nt know you had it in you Peter :o .. :lol:

Bare Bum ~ After Peter's explicit description you don't need to go on holiday now ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:46 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Peter wrote:once you're sucked in you might have to pay a bob-or-two for a young local to get you out.

Did'nt know you had it in you Peter :o .. :lol:

I haven't.
It's Doris. She's always saying "...come on love, let's just go round the next corner!"
Bit like when I was in the RN.
I led from the front. My lads always followed me, but apparantly only out of curiosity :)

Once embedded in the souqs there are something like 12 exits, but about 600 dead-ends. The deeper you get the more authentic it gets, but by then you'll have lost the comfort of the company of other tourists, and feel slightly unnerved, and lost!
So it's best to hire a guide.
On the subjects of guides, there are good ones and crap ones.
Try and work out what sort of things you want to see, and make sure the guide understands what you want and expect - you are paying for it.
Otherwise you could spend half of your 3 hour tour in his cousins carpet shop!
I've got an house full of wonderful momentos of getting lost in Saudi Arabia :oops:
My middle name should be Hindsight :oops:
Plain Peter

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:53 am

Peter wrote:Once embedded in the souqs there are something like 12 exits, but about 600 dead-ends. The deeper you get the more authentic it gets, but by then you'll have lost the comfort of the company of other tourists, and feel slightly unnerved, and lost!
So it's best to hire a guide.

We got lost in the Bizaar in Istanbul. Amazing City but as you say don't leave the main track ~ you certainly would'nt get me there in the dark :o

Anyway back to Morocco....
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:55 am

Peter wrote:I've got an house full of wonderful momentos of getting lost in Saudi Arabia :oops:
My middle name should be Hindsight :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When do you get to Burma/Myanmar? That will be interesting to hear reports from. Just don't go swimming across lakes :?

And where are you now?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 pm

Keith wrote: When do you get to Burma/Myanmar? And where are you now?

Come on Keith you're the admin.. Keep up! :lol: :lol:

Peter wrote:Off to Istanbul next month for a week of culture and kebabs.
Then to Myanmar (Burma) for the whole of February.
Last edited by marky No.1 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Keith wrote:When do you get to Burma/Myanmar? That will be interesting to hear reports from. Just don't go swimming across lakes :?

February. You will. Thanks, If I'm in doubt about owt I let Doris lead these days.

Keith wrote:And where are you now?

At home. But this time tomorrow I could well be lost in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Peter wrote: But this time tomorrow I could well be lost in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul :lol:

If you possibly see a Turkish man there can you tell him my quality watch has stopped working!! Buy 1 get 9 free I think it was :lol:
marky No.1

Postby Posh » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Peter wrote:At home. But this time tomorrow I could well be lost in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul :lol:

That's not the best one to go to though. If you go through the main entrance back on to the main road, go about 400 yards down and then there is a narrow alley next to the Hotel Ankara. Walk for about 200 yards until it opens into a beautiful enclosed market courtyard. There are loads of food stalls - for example, one just sells custard, one sells little sugary bits for decoration, one sells jelly, one sells sponge. It's a Trifle Bazaar.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Posh wrote:...one just sells custard, one sells little sugary bits for decoration, one sells jelly, one sells sponge. It's a Trifle Bazaar.

noooooo... for goodness sake, someone get his coat!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Posh wrote:...is a narrow alley next to the Hotel Ankara.

Unbelievably, there doesn't appear to be an Hotel Ankara in Istanbul.
So I'll not go and get lost looking for it :)
Plain Peter

Postby chipbuns » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:04 pm

watch out for the people who try to sell you stuff! they are found in the most random of places and they will not give up until you leav with something. also hotel staff like baggage clerks will expect tips and are known for hanging around for a while until they get one.
chipbuns

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:30 am

Just crawled out of my pit.
Driving to Gatwick in an hour.
Bobby's not done that journey before.
So hope he knows where he's going.
Might go Whirling Dervishes tonight.
Definately see a bit belly-dancing................

....even if it's only Doris' at bedtime 8-)
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Just got back.
Istanbul is an awesome place.
Lovely, genuinely friendly people.
Hardly scratched the surface in a week.
Inexpensive, so long as you avoided the tourist traps.
A bit weird having breakfast in Europe, lunch in Asia, and then back to Europe for tea.
And all that separates the continents is a road bridge over the Bosphorus.
Excellent flight with Easy Jet.
Plain Peter

Postby George Dawes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 pm

chipbuns wrote:watch out for the people who try to sell you stuff! they are found in the most random of places and they will not give up until you leav with something. also hotel staff like baggage clerks will expect tips and are known for hanging around for a while until they get one.

Ive learnt with them sort when your browsing about just make out you dont understand/speak English and that your from Belgium, shrug your shoulders then walk off :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Have a good time Bare Bum. Accept no less than 20 camels for Ms BB!

My only useful tip...from a professional perspective...don't get too close to a camels front end...they can spit with unerring accuracy.
Bradford_Shrimp

Return to General Discussion