Aside from the result... Friday Night Football....Thoughts?

Aside from the result... Friday Night Football....Thoughts?

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:25 pm

strong attendance 2367(614 from Rochdale)
plenty of media interest/coverage
great atmosphere
busy chatroom
very busy message boards
entertaining game for the neutral / potential new fans thats for sure
way forward perhaps or do we like our saturdays?

whats your thoughts a winner or loser?
ockers

Re: Aside from the result... Friday Night Football....Thoughts?

Postby parceldave » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:39 pm

ockers wrote:strong attendance 2367(614 from Rochdale)
plenty of media interest/coverage
great atmosphere
busy chatroom
very busy message boards
entertaining game for the neutral / potential new fans thats for sure
way forward perhaps or do we like our saturdays?

From a personal point of view Sean its a no no for me. Monday to Friday half 5 start and not usually home before 7 pm , so at the end of the week i just want to chill and have a couple of beers and an early night . Then on Saturday i can have a lie in till about 8 am get the household sorted and get the paperwork done and plenty of time to get ready for the afternoons entertainment . ;)

AND...................................

You didnt play CHIPPY TEA. :o
parceldave

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:46 pm

I quite liked it something to look forward to at the end of the week and a few beers on a fri night.

However luckily I have England to watch later on tomorrow if it was any other weekend I wouldn't know what to do with myself on the sat afternoon.

Don't Rochdale normally bring around 900? so have we lost out on away fans but then we have prob gained a few home fans who can't make it on a sat so has it balanced out?

It has to be against a local team though to make it work think how we would like it if one of our away games was moved to a friday, do you remember Wycombe? and an international weekend.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Prefer saturdays especially having just got home half an hour ago due to breaking down on the M65 and waiting for the breakdown service to arrive. not a good evening all in all :cry: :cry:
Blackburn shrimp

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:49 pm

hi dave
was up at 630am for work in the morning so i forgot the cd
will have to get sorted next time it happens
mixed views for me like you and many others a full days work and then straight to the ground at 600pm so a bit tired but was really excited when we went 1 0 up never mind 3 0
enjoyed it i really did although i love saturdays as thats a great tradition you dont want to lose
was it a good crack around the ground
was there a good buzz before the game?
for me and lance the atmosphere and the support i thought was great throughout the game and seemed more atmosphere than on a saturday afternoon to me?
ockers

Postby ockers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:52 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I quite liked it something to look forward to at the end of the week and a few beers on a fri night.

However luckily I have England to watch later on tomorrow if it was any other weekend I wouldn't know what to do with myself on the sat afternoon.

Don't Rochdale normally bring around 900? so have we lost out on away fans but then we have prob gained a few home fans who can't make it on a sat so has it balanced out?

It has to be against a local team though to make it work think how we would like it if one of our away games was moved to a friday, do you remember Wycombe? and an international weekend.

i think that was the idea at the start of the season Phil this would only work against a side like rochdale they do bring a good contingent as theyre a good supported team on the road
im sure sgt major and other people who will have had rochdale fans in will testify
i remember we had hayes away and an england international i mentioned in tonights programme
ockers

Postby Mike Blackstone » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:49 am

It's an excellent idea as it means I can watch two matches over the weekend. I like to take in a non-league game on a Saturday afternoon, so Morecambe playing on a Friday night is a real bonus. More please!
Mike Blackstone

Postby Christies Child » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:10 am

Mike Blackstone wrote:It's an excellent idea as it means I can watch two matches over the weekend. I like to take in a non-league game on a Saturday afternoon, so Morecambe playing on a Friday night is a real bonus. More please!

I can see some of the doom merchants on here having a field day with that statement.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby ockers » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:30 am

Mike Blackstone wrote:It's an excellent idea as it means I can watch two matches over the weekend. I like to take in a non-league game on a Saturday afternoon, so Morecambe playing on a Friday night is a real bonus. More please!

so will we get volume 2 of "the brown sauce is off " mike??
glad you could make the game i bet good value from your point as well
ockers

Postby Mike Blackstone » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am

ockers wrote:

so will we get volume 2 of "the brown sauce is off " mike??
glad you could make the game i bet good value from your point as well

It certainly was a great game to watch from the neutral point of view. Enjoyed it immensely. Programme was top notch as always too.

The second volume of 'the brown sauce is off' is still on hold as I am currently working on a two volume Complete A to Z of Players 1904 to date for Exeter City. Vol One to be published October 2010, Vol Two Oct 2012.
Mike Blackstone

Postby Mike Blackstone » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:43 am

Christies Child wrote:

I can see some of the doom merchants on here having a field day with that statement.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

So far this season I have watched games on a Saturday at Annan Athletic, Penrith, Lancaster City, Carlisle United and Chorley. Coming up this month are hopefully visits to Gretna 2008 (East of Scotland League) and Dalbeattie Star (Scottish Cup Rnd 1)
Mike Blackstone

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 am

ockers wrote:busy chatroom...

Were you in a different chatroom? There were only three of us for most of the game until Rich arrived at 3-3!

For me, I'd be screwed if this happened regularly. If the game had been played today I probably would be sat on a ferry right now. On international game days, I'd rather see the club kick off early and do something special to get people in to JB's to watch the England game after. I'd expect they could make more money that way.

I also think the club, and indeed the town, would have benefited by having Morecambe v Carlisle played on Bank Holiday Monday. Bring families down to the town for the day. Obviously, as it turned out, the weather would have put some people off on the day, but if it was a nice, sunny day it could have been much attendance, better than a Tuesday evening.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 am

Mike Blackstone wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
Mike Blackstone wrote:It's an excellent idea as it means I can watch two matches over the weekend. I like to take in a[b] non-league game on a Saturday afternoon[/b], so Morecambe playing on a Friday night is a real bonus. More please!

So far this season I have watched games on a Saturday at Annan Athletic, Penrith, Lancaster City, Carlisle United and Chorley. Coming up this month are hopefully visits to Gretna 2008 (East of Scotland League) and Dalbeattie Star (Scottish Cup Rnd 1)

:?
heysham_mfc

Postby parceldave » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 am

Christies Child wrote:

Are you saying im a doom merchant C.C for wanting to have a rest on a Friday night after 65- 70 hr working week . If i dont get home until 7pm then its a f..kin mad rush to get some dinner , have a shower and get changed then drive down to Morecambe for 7.45 . And how many would we get going to Barnet , Aldershot or Torquay on a Friday night . :?: Poor Keith has now missed his mini - cruise across the nice flat calm Irish Sea :D
parceldave

Postby abc123 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:53 am

That's a 'woosh' moment.
abc123

Postby outsider » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I seem to be in the minority, but i enjoy the night game's and wouldn't mind a few more in the season. I also work shifts and was also up at 5 on Friday morning( and this morning :cry: ).
But why when England's game is only a friendly and a 5.30ish kick off, was the game moved in the first place?
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby footballfan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm

For me Friday night or any night have always had a better atmosphere than a Saturday or other afternoon kick offs, play off games excluded. Although I can`t do Friday`s due to prior commitments I would rather go to an evening game than an afternoon one if I had a choice.
footballfan

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm

outsider wrote:I seem to be in the minority, but i enjoy the night game's and wouldn't mind a few more in the season. I also work shifts and was also up at 5 on Friday morning( and this morning :cry: ).
But why when England's game is only a friendly and a 5.30ish kick off, was the game moved in the first place?

we could have played it today at 3 and still seen the england match afterwards the only people who would have missed it would have been the Rochdale fans and those home fans who do not live in the morecambe area
heysham_mfc

Postby Aal » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Many exciting ventures there Mike. I saw Gretna 08s temp ground in Annan last April. Glad they are back at Raydale.

I quite liked the Friday night as a one off Sean...better atmosphere although I was expecting a bigger crowd. The fireworks looked better.

From my point of view I can focus on the Internationals this pm. :D

Mike Blackstone wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:12 pm

I really enjoyed seeing a night game for a change, had to take time off to get to it but another chance to introduce my youngest son (who's just started High school) to 'Football you can touch'
Now he wants to be at every game...........................JOB DONE on my part ;) the eldest hasn't needed any kind of encouragement as it's well and truly in his blood.

Saturdays remain the 'Sacred' day for the beautiful game and besides I can make every Home game now I work nights ;)
HALMA 1983

Return to General Discussion