Match Board at Tesco

Match Board at Tesco

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 am

I know this has been banged on about before but the board in Carnforth, having been criticised for being blank for ages, has still got " next home game on Tuesday v Tranmere".
For the people that know the game was last week this is quite embarassing.

It was commented how disappointed we were with the attendance against Barrow - the locals round here maybe did'nt realise there was a game on Saturday at all :roll:

Which brings me to the next point - will people turn up to Christie for the 1st time tomorrow night expecting to see Tranmere?

... And, why is the Hereford game not being advertised - as a Sponsor involved in Saturdays game - I don't find this too hilarious M.F.C. :twisted:

p.s. if someone wants to give me a "Hereford" and a "Saturday" sign I will go and do it myself!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Match Board at Tesco

Postby Crooky MFC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 am

BUMP !!!!
Crooky MFC

Postby Christies Child » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 am

marky No.1 wrote:I know this has been banged on about before but the board in Carnforth, having been criticised for being blank for ages, has still got " next home game on Tuesday v Tranmere".

It was commented how disappointed we were with the attendance against Barrow - the locals round here maybe did'nt realise there was a game on Saturday at all :roll:

Which brings me to the next point - will people turn up to Christie for the 1st time tomorrow night expecting to see Tranmere?

... And, why is the Hereford game not being advertised - as a Sponsor involved in Saturdays game - I don't find this too hilarious M.F.C. :twisted:

p.s. if someone wants to give me a "Hereford" and a "Saturday" sign I will go and do it myself!

As an existing sponsor you've every right to complain.

The club certainly needs to improve it's pre match day publicity...but what's new?

I mentioned something similar to a Director about pre-match publicity last season and was told that the club were unable to advertise games until the week leading up to the match itself. I don't understand the logic behind that. Is it a local Council regulation or what? It certainly doesn't apply in Preston or are they choosing to ignore some silly regulation?

Whatever the reason behind it, the fact that there is advertising still on display for a game LAST Tuesday is laughable.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:02 am

me too I am in carnforth quite a lot and an annoyed when I board has not been updated like you I would do it myself if I could
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 am

heysham_mfc wrote:me too I am in carnforth quite a lot and an annoyed when I board has not been updated like you I would do it myself if I could

Well if you are up for it I will carry the Hereford sign and swap it from Tranmere if you can sort the Saturday sign and keep the Tuesday for the Bradford game. Although on 2nd thoughts the ground will be full for that one anyway :lol:
marky No.1

Postby campdave » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 am

People know when we're playing and when we don't - more of them manage to turn up for the big matches or when we're doing well, so blaming an apathetic public is more worthy than blaming an incorrect sign in Tescos.
campdave

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 pm

campdave wrote:People know when we're playing and when we don't - more of them manage to turn up for the big matches or when we're doing well, so blaming an apathetic public is more worthy than blaming an incorrect sign in Tescos.

OK of course you are right, people are apathetic. I am primarily a fan and not a sponsor. but how would a certain radio Company that sponsored the Barrow game feel that "their" match was'nt being promoted correctly on a notice board. Consequently we as sponsors may feel a bit hard done by?

If the same happens at the weekend we could remove our input and you can enjoy paying £2 or £3 more at the turnstile every other week. The extra fiver would certainly be a lot cheaper for me!
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:24 pm

campdave wrote:People know when we're playing and when we don't - more of them manage to turn up for the big matches or when we're doing well, so blaming an apathetic public is more worthy than blaming an incorrect sign in Tescos.

Victor..do they?

I beg to differ!
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Christies Child wrote:
I beg to differ!

Differ all you like - more people come through the gates for big matches and when we're doing well, with no discernable change in advertising policy by the club.
campdave

Postby bigreddog » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:27 pm

you can't run a marketing strategy based on and around "those in the know", all you end up with is an ever deceasing circle of customers who eventually all fall by the wayside. The sign of a sustained and effective marketing plan is would someone who has just landed from Mars know when we were playing and against who?

what I've never understood is why we don't advertise the next two or more games so people can plan their football watching, maybe even have a board with the next away game with number to book for the official travel club.

only ideas, and maybe possible on the new site. I know it isn't easy to get it right, but getting it wrong is very easy. this year of all years is so very important, there is only one end of an era season, which we have some great merchandise on sale for in the club shop by the way. we didn't maximise our first season in the football league, we've now got a last and a first in successive seasons to really ram home some good sales/marketing for the club. personally I think we're in good hands.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 pm

The main supporters do and will turn up week in week out and the club take this for granted.

However if you are a neutral fan or one that only comes a couple of times a year you might not know but be out shopping see the sign and think oh look there is a game on saturday I quite fancy that and might pop down.

It is these neutrals/part timers that we need to advertise to instead of the club thinking the same as campdave.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:33 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:me too I am in carnforth quite a lot and an annoyed when I board has not been updated like you I would do it myself if I could

Well if you are up for it I will carry the Hereford sign and swap it from Tranmere if you can sort the Saturday sign and keep the Tuesday for the Bradford game. Although on 2nd thoughts the ground will be full for that one anyway :lol:

you do the teams I will do the dates and times :D
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:35 pm

OUR fans DO know when we are playing for obvious reasons and as you say any amount of signs unless it says FREE entry or FREE beer won't make a scrap of difference. I am talking about the peripheral people, and from my point of view holidaymakers of which many are families in this area and are in a caravan, who could spend a Saturday afternoon at a Football match.
When they like the experience they can come back again and maybe update their caravan or listen to a local radio station, or by a pie, fone for some flowers or enjoy a relaxing spa or if they are weary enough pop down to the local Care Home :o
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:51 pm

marky No.1 wrote:OUR fans DO know when we are playing for obvious reasons and as you say any amount of signs unless it says FREE entry or FREE beer won't make a scrap of difference. I am talking about the peripheral people, and from my point of view holidaymakers of which many are families in this area and are in a caravan, who could spend a Saturday afternoon at a Football match.
When they like the experience they can come back again and maybe update their caravan or listen to a local radio station, or by a pie, fone for some flowers or enjoy a relaxing spa or if they are weary enough pop down to the local Care Home :o

....to meet whom I wonder?
;) ;) ;)
Christies Child

Postby John L » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:09 pm

marky No.1 wrote:I know this has been banged on about before but the board in Carnforth, having been criticised for being blank for ages, has still got " next home game on Tuesday v Tranmere".

Why don't you make your own signs then? Besides, it's the fans who've taken to making their own posters! We're only a small club, you know! ;) :lol:
John L

Postby ezz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 pm

The whole point of advertising is to reach out to new fans, not let the fans we already have know as the chances are they already have a fixture sheet/ a freind who knows/ the internet and look on the official website.

(I also understand that the website probably doesn't have the new fixtures up yet, i personally havn't checked)
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:05 pm

this year of all years is so very important, there is only one end of an era season, which we have some great merchandise on sale for in the club shop by the way. we didn't maximise our first season in the football league, we've now got a last and a first in successive seasons to really ram home some good sales/marketing for the club. personally I think we're in good hands.[/quote]

We sure didn't maximise the wembley thing
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:08 pm

ezz wrote:The whole point of advertising is to reach out to new fans, not let the fans we already have know as the chances are they already have a fixture sheet/ a freind who knows/ the internet and look on the official website.

(I also understand that the website probably doesn't have the new fixtures up yet, i personally havn't checked)

they were on the day they came out :roll:
heysham_mfc

Postby The Red Knight » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:41 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:
ezz wrote:The whole point of advertising is to reach out to new fans, not let the fans we already have know as the chances are they already have a fixture sheet/ a freind who knows/ the internet and look on the official website.

they were on the day they came out :roll:

They are still wrong though.

None of the re-arranged fixtures have been updated.
The Red Knight

Postby greenshrimp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Some ideas (some may already happen...i don't know?)

- Issue a press release mid-week before the match to ITV Local and BBC Local news identifying the match and a bit of background (last time MFC beat X Y-Z at home) in order to try and get a mention on the Friday evening sports roundup.
- Issue a press release the week before to all local papers identifying details of the match as above with some kind of hook included for a story - may be particuarly worthwhile where lower attendance is anticipated.
- Sainsburys now have a bt of an interest in the club - would they support signage (subject to planning permission) outside of the store (its on quite a busy road) or in store.
- Purchase of an advertising trailer (e.g. http://www.hadnall-trailers.co.uk/assets/Advertising-Trailer.jpg) to be driven round the town and city advertising the next match (or even parked up in various locations).
- Do the club own any vehicles and if so could these not be branded with club logos etc. and a space saved in the window for interchangable match details?
- RSS feeds from the web-site so people can subscribe to these
- Use of facebook to advertise the fixture list sending messages to members on a weekly basis (ok you may be selling to an already captured audience here).
- Posters distributed to shops etc that have signed up to an advertsing scheme e.g. "We're supporting Morecambe against (blank space for interchangable club name), are you?" - obviously this would involve a degree of organisation and the shops may want something in return (perhaps entrance into a draw for free advert in the next programme).
- Ticket sales stand in Lancaster town centre and Morecambe town centre, perhaps with some other promotional gimmick.
- Slightly more extreme and not sure on the economics of it...but move the club shop to Lancaster city centre selling all merchandise etc and kit providing a permanent advertising hoarding.
- Christie the Cat handing out flyers and selling tickets each week.
- Town crier advertising the next matches in the town and city centre.

Just some ideas...some a bit more extreme than other, some may not be possible down to cost.. what are your thoughts?
greenshrimp

Postby Morecambe FC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:57 pm

I apologise unreservedly for the fixtures board at Carnforth not being updated from the game versus Tranmere. It is wholly my responsibility as Commercial Director to make sure that this happens. Marky No1 you know how to get hold of me and I am available should you want to lodge an official complaint as the ball sponsor for Saturdays game.

Commercial dept.
Morecambe FC

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm

with all this talk there was only one thing to do but go and see for myself
Attachments
Image013.jpg
Image013.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 816 times
heysham_mfc

Postby campdave » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 pm

greenshrimp wrote:- Ticket sales stand in Lancaster town centre and Morecambe town centre, perhaps with some other promotional gimmick.
- Slightly more extreme and not sure on the economics of it...but move the club shop to Lancaster city centre selling all merchandise etc and kit providing a permanent advertising hoarding.

in addition to the existing facilties or instead of? i wouldn't drive to Lancaster from Morecambe to buy a shirt.
campdave

Postby sgt major » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:24 pm

I have been advertising the home games in the York for three seasons now. A little Heath Robinson I admit but still it gets some punters down to Chrisite Park I'm sure.

We can all do our bit but some of the basic posters we used to have years ago with the next three fixtures on could be produced fairly cheap and then be distributed to businesses in the area.

Nice to see the club taking responsibility for the Carnforth mistake - I do realise it's a massive season and things could get overlooked.

BTW - talking about raising money - I have heard that there is to be a Golf Day organised for Wayne Curtis - I suppose you should say - watch this space.
sgt major

Postby greenshrimp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:30 pm

campdave wrote:in addition to the existing facilties or instead of?

Either, although it depends on how economical it would be to keep both open. The idea behind having one in Lancaster would purely be because there would be a much larger footfall to encourage greater number of sales and more interest in matches.

campdave wrote:i wouldn't drive to Lancaster from Morecambe to buy a shirt.

Maybe not specifically for a t-shirt, but I'd suggest that a large proportion of fans visit Lancaster say at least once a month so you wouldn't really be doing fans out of the opportunity to buy merchandise. There is of course the online shop now too.
greenshrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion