Sir Bobby Robson

Sir Bobby Robson

Postby bops73 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 am

R.I.P Bobby a true legend and gentleman.
bops73

Re: Sir Bobby Robson

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:34 am

just seen the news on sky very sad RIP
heysham_mfc

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 am

Truley gutted as a bit of a part time Ipswich follower I think the fella is a hero as well as been a very nice man.

Sadly we all knew the time was coming as he has been fighting it for years and years ever since he was at Porto and it was getting harder and harder to control.

RIP Bobby
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Mark S » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:08 am

A true legend in football and a proper Gent. I had the honour of meeting him and he made you feel as though you were the first person to ask him questions that he had been asked a hundred times before. Listening to him speak you knew that he had forgotten more about football than you would ever know. A really nice guy who everyone who met him liked and respected. RIP Sir Bobby
Mark S

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:15 am

True legend, RIP Sir Bobby
thegentlegiant

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 am

Mark S wrote:A true legend in football and a proper Gent. I had the honour of meeting him and he made you feel as though you were the first person to ask him questions that he had been asked a hundred times before. Listening to him speak you knew that he had forgotten more about football than you would ever know. A really nice guy who everyone who met him liked and respected. RIP Sir Bobby

I am so jelous Mark I would have loved to have had a chat with the man about many things not just football.

The nearest I got was waving to him when he started the Great North Run a couple of years ago and he wasn't looking to well then but still had bags of enthusiasm.

It is a shame he has gone while his beloved Newcastle are in the mess they are if he was another 20 even 10 years younger he woud have gone in and shook the place up.

P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 am

A sad loss to the worldwide game.

RIP Sir Bobby Robson
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 am

heysham_mfc

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:52 am

I don't like Alex ferguson but what a geat tribute:-

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

George Burley and Fabio Capello's aren't bad either
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8178079.stm

P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:28 pm

i loved watching him and England in the 1986 & 1990 world cups

RIP
George Dawes

Postby mounse mk2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 pm

His love of the game was infectious.

When the top of the game seems to be completely money obsessed, here was a man who just had a genuine love for the game.

Alex ferguson has gone up in my books after that tribute

RIP Sir Bobby Robson.
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:05 pm

Jose Mourinhio's isn't bad either if you can find it, he couldn't bring himself to ring Bobby in the last 2 months as he knew he was dying and it was to upsetting for him.

P/T Indie

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Some of his quotes:

Reporter to Newcastle's Shola Ameobi: 'Do you have a nickname?'
Ameobi: 'No, not really'
Reporter: 'So what does Bobby Robson call you?'
Ameobi: 'Carl Cort.'

Sir Bobby to Bryan Robson: “Good morning, Bobby.”
Bryan: “You’re Bobby, I’m Bryan!”

“Titus looks like Tyson when he strips off in the dressing-room, except he doesn't bite. And he has a great tackle." - On Titus Bramble, we think the ‘tackle’ referred to was his defensive qualities.

"Hitler didn't tell us when he was going to send over those doodlebugs, did he?" - On why he was refusing to name his England team before a World Cup qualifer against Sweden in 1989

"We're taking 22 players to Italy, sorry, to Spain... where are we, Jim?"
- On whether Paul Gascoigne should have gone to the 1998 World Cup in France.

"There will be a game where somebody scores more than Brazil and that might be the game that they lose."

"Steve Hodge has been unfit for two weeks, well, no, for 14 days."

"Ray Wilkins' day will come one night."

"Look at those olive trees. They're two hundred years old – from before the time of Christ!" - Sir Bobby illustrates how great life is in Barcelona.

"They can't be monks - we don't want them to be monks, we want them to be football players because a monk doesn't play football at this level."
- Justifying Newcastle's Playboy image.

"I played cricket for my local village. It was 40 overs per side, and the team that had the most runs won. It was that sort of football."

"If we start counting our chickens before they hatch, they won't lay any eggs in the basket."

"I would have given my right arm to be a pianist."

"What can I say about Peter Shilton? Peter Shilton is Peter Shilton, and he has been Peter Shilton since the year dot."

"I'm not going to look beyond the semi-final - but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final."

“Home advantage gives you an advantage.”

RIP
Plain Peter

Postby scalehallshrimp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:28 pm

read his autobiography recently,my did this man have some problems with cancer,it is a really good read about an absolutely top fella
scalehallshrimp

Postby Posh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Mark S wrote: I had the honour of meeting him

Whereas I blanked him. 'Could I just come through and say congratulations to the lads?'. He was England manager and Rangers had just beaten Celtic 5-1 with players like Terry Butcher in the England and Gers team. Kept him standing out in the foyer at Ibrox while I 'went to check if it was alright with Mr Souness'. I just closed the door and stood next to it for a few minutes and then opened it again. 'Mr Souness says it's alright if you go through now sir' (with bad Glaswegian accent). 'Oh, thank you young man'.

Spoke to him briefly in the bar with John Motson (an Ipswich fan) and the one thing I noticed was that he couldn't stop smiling and he just sparkled. A lovely man who reminded me very much of another man from the North East, Bob Paisley.

He gave us great moments in '86 and '90, and was unlucky on both occasions. Also the Ipswich side who won the UEFA Cup was probably one of the greatest ever British sides in terms of the club and its achievement (Notts Forest under Clough; Aberdeen under Fergie; and Dundee United under Wossisnaym the others).

Farewell Bobby.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby the stowford press » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:13 pm

sad day,glad there'll be a minutes applause instead of silence come first day of season,will this be happening in lower leagues as well as prem
the stowford press

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 pm

the stowford press wrote:sad day,glad there'll be a minutes applause instead of silence come first day of season,will this be happening in lower leagues as well as prem

applause? thats normally to stop morons from opposition supporters jeering etc, but this guy as no enemies and only respect, am certain it will be silence
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 pm

A rare gentleman who must have been universally liked.

A sad day for football. As well as his many footballing achievements, his fund-raising for cancer charity will be a tangible lasting legacy of a great man.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

DawZi wrote:applause? thats normally to stop morons from opposition supporters jeering etc, but this guy as no enemies and only respect, am certain it will be silence

I'm not sure, I think an applause can be a way of celebrating a life rather than mourn it. At a football match, I think it is a far more fitting tribute. But regardless of how the occasion is marked, I'm sure it will be with deepest respect.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:03 pm

A true loss to football. How sad to see him only last weekend at the game against Germany for his foundation on tv, but typical of the man that he wanted to be at a game when he was obviously so unwell. Rip Sir Bobby a gentleman and ambassador to football worldwide
Blackburn shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:07 am

Keith wrote:
DawZi wrote:applause? thats normally to stop morons from opposition supporters jeering etc, but this guy as no enemies and only respect, am certain it will be silence

I'm not sure, I think an applause can be a way of celebrating a life rather than mourn it. At a football match, I think it is a far more fitting tribute. But regardless of how the occasion is marked, I'm sure it will be with deepest respect.

i think it first come about in the Manchester derby with the Munich air disaster or it could have been George Best in the premiership, thats when i first noticed it and thought what a good idea
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:47 pm

there will be 1 min silence before the hereford game
heysham_mfc

Postby Mark S » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:21 am

heysham_mfc wrote:there will be 1 min silence before the hereford game

There will be one minutes applause before the Hereford match.
Mark S

Postby George Dawes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:00 am

well you wouldn't do it at a funeral service.
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:03 am

DawZi wrote:well you wouldn't do it at a funeral service.

Feel free to do it at mine when the time comes!

Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion