Racism & other contentious stuff.

Racism & other contentious stuff.

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:04 pm

I'll leave this as a sticky for a few days, so everyone will get the chance to view it.

When it comes to the moderation of this forum, I think the team do pretty damn well, at a thankless task. I know that I couldn't and wouldn't do it without them, so they get my thanks at least!

When it comes to moderating the board, there are many reasons why a subject may be locked or removed. Although some people don't realise it, it is actually to protect individuals sometimes. If anyone is any doubt that people posting on forums can end up in serious trouble need only do a little research and they will find that football fans have been sued for comments they made, resulting in them taking out a mortgage on their house, just to pay for the legal fees! The way the forum & internet work, a made-up name won't protect you.

We also moderate to protect the message board from becoming a juvenile slanging match. Occasionally, we moderate each other (I've been taken to task in the past for excessive swearing, other mods locked political debates that I was taking part in) we accept that as being part & parcel of us being able to contribute as we want and accept that whoever makes the decision, that's fine.

Which brings me to people moaning about the recent racism threads being removed or locked. It really is very simple...

THERE IS NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH ON HERE!

Never has been, was never advertised as being. If you don't like that, then fine, we'll refund every penny you spent on membership fees and we will genuinely help anyone who wants to, to set up their own board, that they can moderate themselves.

Then when you are responsible, YOU can decide how much 'freedom of speech' you want to allow, bearing in mind YOU could end up in court.

This forum is a friendly place where people can hopefully enjoy discussions that are mainly about Morecambe FC, with some off topic stuff thrown in. Let's keep it fun and friendly, and if a subject gets dumped, just accept it and move on.

Thanks, Keith
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion