Morecambe V Plymouth

Re: Morecambe V Plymouth

Postby parceldave » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Christies Child wrote:For me the MoM was without question Mark Duffy and until he went off we looked to be doing well.

Of the new signings Ian Craney was..well the Craney we hated when at Accy but will love now he's joined a proper footbal club. Still the terrier he's always been chasing down what appears to be lost balls and has a shot that will deliver goals.

Jevons looks good BUT he needs a big man alongside of him to get on the end of knock downs. What he isn't (in my opinion) is a target man. Give him an opportunity and he'll score. Not afraid of trying the spectacular either.

Larkin could be worth at least a 3 month contract. He's got things about his game that with work in the squad could be capitalised on.

If only we could get a hustle and bustle type of forward who would roughen up a defence and create openings for his fellow strikers then we'd certainly prove to be a handfull this coming season.

Anybody know where we can get such a player..... :?: ;) :?: ;) :?: ;)

Over to you Sammy.... ;) ;) ;)

Absolutely - Newcastle's - Mark Viduka is just the player we need . He's screwed Newcastle for last few years so he dont need much money. :o
parceldave

Postby marky » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Christies Child wrote:If only we could get a hustle and bustle type of forward who would roughen up a defence and create openings for his fellow strikers then we'd certainly prove to be a handfull this coming season.

Anybody know where we can get such a player.....

I'm going to throw two completely random names into the hat because they are both tall, strong, target man style strikers... Tom Elliott and Enoch Showumni, both at Leeds. They are both stocky and well over 6'. Neither are likely to feature in the Leeds starting 11, though the latter would probably make the bench.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby The Red Knight » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Christies Child wrote:If only we could get a hustle and bustle type of forward who would roughen up a defence and create openings for his fellow strikers then we'd certainly prove to be a handfull this coming season.

Yeah, the treatment table, his name is Wayne Curtis.
The Red Knight

Postby james456 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:24 pm

The Red Knight wrote:

Yeah, the treatment table, his name is Wayne Curtis.

I agree.

Wayne didn't look like a target man last season but that was just because he was playing so deep. Stick him up front and give him the right instructions, he could form a great partnership with either Jevons or Larkin.
james456

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:37 pm

I thought we had a good game today made some good chances and it was a massive improvement on the huddersfield match
heysham_mfc

Postby Abbo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm

I thought we played some very good stuff in the first half, quick passing, good tackling and i thought Duffy was brilliant, he is certainly improving his game. mid field looked good, felt a bit sorry for Jevons though he didnt appear to get a lot of the ball. Second half was pretty awful though.
Abbo

Postby james456 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:04 pm

What formation did we play?
james456

Postby Abbo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Second half, all over the place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Abbo

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:21 pm

james456 wrote:What formation did we play?

352/532 looked to me, then in the last 15mins i think we went 442
George Dawes

Postby steve mfc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Based on the first half performance there is plenty to be optimistic about, good passing and ball retention with a lot of good attacking football.

Second half was completely different, partly due to Plymouth getting their act together and the changes to our lineup which resulted with us chasing the ball, another factor i thought was that both Craney and Jevons seemed short of match fitness and contributed less as the game went on. Possibly they haven't had as many games as the rest of the team. But they showed in the first half that they are both quality players.

Duffy seems to get better with every game and looked very comfortable in the centre of midfield, Larkin again looked a decent player especially when you consider the opposition that we have seen him play against.

Anyone know what has happened regarding Doherty, i was hoping to see him play at some point today.
steve mfc

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 pm

He's probably been released, I agree that like Duffy, Craney & Jevons should get better as they up their fitness, 2 weeks until kickoff guys :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Crooky MFC

Postby Curly » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Pretty much agree with whats been said already,
1st half we were rampant, pushed them back in there own half most of time,
Duffy has certainly stepped up, was great to watch.
lots of positives to take from today.
Think we can really compete this year ;) 8-)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby John L » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:57 pm

Vinny wrote:Rather odd that we played in our away blue kit when the contrast to green wasn't that obvious. :?:

Maybe an effort to persuade fans to buy it? ;)
John L

Postby Gnasher » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 am

Grapevine says they intentionally wear the different kits at home to show it off.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:54 am

John L wrote:
Vinny wrote:Rather odd that we played in our away blue kit when the contrast to green wasn't that obvious. :?:

Maybe an effort to persuade fans to buy it? ;)

i had my sunglasses on in the car-wash end and had a wee but of trouble at times
George Dawes

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 am

Can't believe no one has mentioned Mr Wilson on the left hand side, man of the match by a mile for me, even though he was took off at half time.
Sammy h

Postby Vinny » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:29 am

Sammy h wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned Mr Wilson on the left hand side, man of the match by a mile for me, even though he was took off at half time.

Totally agree Sammy. To quote myself from earlier in the thread .....
Vinny wrote: ...... Created lots of chances, mainly through an excellent performance by Lawrence Wilson on the left ......

But I should have also given credit to Mark Duffy for another exellent performance as well. We seemed to have so many options. We were brilliant 1st half!
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:37 am

Sammy h wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned Mr Wilson on the left hand side, man of the match by a mile for me, even though he was took off at half time.

agree he was fantastic today I think he will be a vital part of the team this season
heysham_mfc

Postby marky » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am

I think one person mentioned this, but how did Duffy do as one of a midfield 3? On paper, a midfield 3 of Craney, Stanley and Duffy looks pretty creative BUT I'm not sure if Stanley could play as a holding midfielder.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Harry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 pm

marky wrote:I think one person mentioned this, but how did Duffy do as one of a midfield 3? On paper, a midfield 3 of Craney, Stanley and Duffy looks pretty creative BUT I'm not sure if Stanley could play as a holding midfielder.

Looked excellent going forward but lacked discipline. Everyone fit, I'd start with Craney and Duffy there and Fraser/Garry Hunter as the holding man.
Harry

Postby parkyboy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:19 pm

WHERE DO WE PUT dRUMMOND WHEN HE IS FIT
parkyboy

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:50 pm

parkyboy wrote:WHERE DO WE PUT dRUMMOND WHEN HE IS FIT

for me in the centre of defence alongside Jimbo. A footballing centre half would be ideal playing it out of defence rather than the kick it anywhere we see at the moment.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby TenerifeShrimp » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Can wayne not do this role ?
We need a kevin davies/duncan ferguson.
Sammy Mac's Barmy Army
TenerifeShrimp

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:27 pm

TenerifeShrimp wrote:

Can wayne not do this role ?
We need a kevin davies/duncan ferguson.

Funny you say that, sure i saw big Dunc in KFC earlier.
Sammy h

Postby TenerifeShrimp » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Sign him up!
I know this sounds like a stupid idea but wouldnt Paul Mullin be an ideal candidate.
Sammy Mac's Barmy Army
TenerifeShrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion