Sod results it's about performance

Sod results it's about performance

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:16 am

Pre-season games are always an opportunity to test ourselves against so called better teams. Expectations are high but positive results sometimes gloss over underlying problems that will stay with the team during the coming season.

Excellent performances in the past (Wolves obviously springs to mind) soon fade away to be replaced by a reality that we are still in need of major surgery.

This pre-season my expectations are more about positive performances in terms of team shape and individual performances rather than results. It's ironic how often a brilliant pre-season has been followed by a dismal first half only picking up after Christmas to finish on a relative high.

I'd much prefer to have an absolute crap pre-season. Use the extra time on the training ground to iron out the problems to be in a position of hitting the ground running when the actual real stuff kicks off.

In short, a pre-season of bad results is much more preferable than one of false dawns where reality only raises its head come the start of the season.

Up coming games v Burnley, Plymouth, Huddersfield and Tranmere should all be about fitness, team shape and individual performances rather than be about results.

Mind you, it doesn't half feel good to beat teams such as Burnley etc. :D :D :D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Sod results it's about performance

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:54 am

in my book pre-season games its a case of wining as a team collectively by playing well, and not stealing victory by freak goals against the run of play, and looking how hungry your players are for the coming season

thats when you know your in good shape
George Dawes

Postby DTSJim » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:53 am

I would agree with CC to a point as I think that a false confidence can manifest itself if we win all our pre season games.

BUT

Winning is a habit, as we found last season. I think I'd like us to win at least the last friendly, get the boys in the right mindset.
DTSJim

Postby Gnasher » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:50 am

Change of pre-season emphasis this year?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=328
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby bigreddog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Friendlies can't just be viewed in isolation, they have to be seen as a part of a process of preparation for the season. Of course it's not all about the results, but they are a part of it. Confidence breeds more confidence, and I bet Bradford enjoyed the confidence of beating a premiership side yesterday, I'd like to do that too.

Pre-season is about a few things: Fitness, injury prevention/avoidance, competition ( for places and re-introducing the players to competing against other teams), tactical work, technical work, timing the preparation so we're ready at the right time and then confidence.

It's right to say that you learn a lot from defeats, but the only thing you learn from a lot of defeats is that you're not very good, and that's a hard belief to shake.

It's about physical and mental preparation and sometimes for players the biggest challenges ahead are in their head.

I'm sure the focus and professionalism will be there, then the results will take care of themselves. personally I've always believed "screw the performance", the world is littered with relegated teams who played pleasing stuff, wasn't it Newcastle who used to be called "the entertainers" and look what happened to them.

Sammy and the lads can entertain me quite nicely this season by winning more than we lose. That's the only performance I'm after.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I agree that pre season games are more about fitness and being ready for 8th August rather than winnig but I think it does boost confidence if you get a couple of good results
heysham_mfc

Postby outsider » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 pm

To be honest, and in my oppion, I think we should just take 1 game at a time, don't be sick as a parrot if we lose or over the moon if we win. ;) ;) ;)

the real footy starts on the 8th that when i'll get excited

But it will be nice to see some footy again :D :D :D
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Return to General Discussion