Dejavu for Sammy?

Dejavu for Sammy?

Postby Ned » Wed May 20, 2009 11:47 am

If the snippets allegedly originating from the club are to be believed then Sammy is facing the same difficulties trying to strengthen the squad as last summer. It is one thing identifying a wish list of players but if they have not been released then they will cost a fee and will invariably be purchased by larger clubs. That leaves the numerous rejects (released) players for all the other clubs like ourselves to compete for. In Sammy’s case he has to contend with additional restrictions such as finance and geographical location which excludes players from the southern based clubs. From what is left the best players are then cherry picked by the bigger clubs within the division which leaves managers from the lesser clubs like ourselves to scrap over the McCann’s and Parrish’s which are then justified to the fans as potential or experience. Unfortunately I don’t think this will wash with the fans this season and I wish him the best of luck as each of his signings will be no doubt be microscopically scrutinised and comparisons made.
Ned

Re: Dejavu for Sammy?

Postby Keith » Wed May 20, 2009 11:56 am

De ja vu for everyone else too :roll:

I think Ned, we are actually close to agreeing with each other. You see the reasons you've mentioned are the reasons that I think he's doing a great job of simply keeping us where we are. No huge funds available, no 'big history' to draw players to us, miles from large population areas gives us a smaller pond to fish in... over all, an excellent job done by the staff, board & management to simply be where we are. Well done Ned, spot on with your praise!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 pm

I find myself in some agreement with SN. :o :o :o

However I'm confident that Sammy will be able to attract a better calibre of player than previous seasons for the simple reason that there are more quality players available and clubs in general are off loading in numbers but only recruiting in significantly fewer bodies.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby wonder shrimp » Wed May 20, 2009 1:11 pm

i'd be happy if he produces a similiar calibre of players to previous seasons, his record isn't so bad!
wonder shrimp

Postby james456 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Ned is 100% correct but its no ones fault that we can't attract the better players.

Last season, the signings weren't great overall but we still finished top half so I think we have the resources to secure a safe midtable position which will do until the new stadium and its facilities are generating more cash for the club.
james456

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Put the deducted points back on and we'd be 14th, which for me is still a good finish but not a top half one. It's all about operating sustainably until we can get into the new ground that affords us more money to compete.

What fills me with confidence is the way we played for large periods of last season. We have the nucleus of a solid and consistent squad. A few additions in key areas, and perhaps a sprinkling of flair to get some of the neutrals back, and I think we could be in for another successful season.
RedRedWine1

Postby Abbo » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

unfortunatly i think we will have to do with the same kind of mediocre players that were brought in last season with the exception of Barry. Its not all the fault of the manager i partly blame the the people of Morecambe and surrounding areas for not supporting the club more and paying at the turnstiles.
Abbo

Postby steve mfc » Wed May 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Cant sat i disagree with Ned's analysis but i don't go along with the bit about Sammy having to justify his signings or that it wont wash with the fans.

I think most Morecambe supporters are realists, we know we cant compete with the bigger clubs in terms of paying a fee or wages. Its a very difficult job, the only good thing about this close season is that there will probably be more players looking for a club than there has been for some considerable time
steve mfc

Postby shrimper » Wed May 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Simply Ned wrote: I wish him the best of luck as each of his signings will be no doubt be microscopically scrutinised and comparisons made.

Yep. And don't you just hate people who do that in complete ignorance of (or deliberate refusal to acknowledge) the mitigating factors you have so comprehensively outlined.

All of which go to prove what most of the rest of us see as proof that Sammy and the board have worked absolute miracles in having elevated our club to arguably the highest position of ANY comparable club in the country.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Wed May 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Simply Ned wrote:If the snippets allegedly originating from the club are to be believed then Sammy is facing the same difficulties trying to strengthen the squad as last summer. It is one thing identifying a wish list of players but if they have not been released then they will cost a fee and will invariably be purchased by larger clubs. That leaves the numerous rejects (released) players for all the other clubs like ourselves to compete for. In Sammy’s case he has to contend with additional restrictions such as finance and geographical location which excludes players from the southern based clubs. From what is left the best players are then cherry picked by the bigger clubs within the division which leaves managers from the lesser clubs like ourselves to scrap over the McCann’s and Parrish’s which are then justified to the fans as potential or experience. Unfortunately I don’t think this will wash with the fans this season and I wish him the best of luck as each of his signings will be no doubt be microscopically scrutinised and comparisons made.

:D :D Football league and we're still having a laugh!! True Morecambe supporters are nothing but realists and we're very happy to be where we are and still growing as a club, whilst many others fall by the way side. We didn't get where we are over night and we also won't get where we're aiming for over night; but isn't this slow steady progress every season a wonderful thing? It's got to be better than the boom and bust of many other clubs. Hasn't it Ned?
Burnley Shrimp

Return to General Discussion