Lee Hughes ...

Lee Hughes ...

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:41 pm

... released by Oldham Athletic. Great player, spent ar$e end of last season on loan at Blackpool. Had his problems in the past as has been well documented and still suffers (and rightly so) from opposition fans taunts.

Still capable of playing at Championship level do you think, or a potential move into League 2 whilst staying in Lancashire ........ ?!?! How would his signing be received if it were a possibility or rumoured ? Welcome arms, or a thanks but no thanks ??
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Re: Lee Hughes ...

Postby Abbo » Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 pm

doesnt really matter cos we couldnt afford him
Abbo

Postby Mark S » Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:... released by Oldham Athletic. Great player, spent ar$e end of last season on loan at Blackpool. Had his problems in the past as has been well documented and still suffers (and rightly so) from opposition fans taunts.

Still capable of playing at Championship level do you think, or a potential move into League 2 whilst staying in Lancashire ........ ?!?! How would his signing be received if it were a possibility or rumoured ? Welcome arms, or a thanks but no thanks ??

If Wikipedia is anything to go by, it seems to me that he is genuinely sorry for the stupid mistake that he made and has not only done his time but continues to try and make up for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hughes

Having said that, at 33 he might be a tad old for a striker and I would be surprised if Sammy was looking at him.
Mark S

Postby Curly » Thu May 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Abbo wrote:doesnt really matter cos we couldnt afford him

Too True :!:

Made some big mistakes in life as previously said, but still a quality player who would bag
goals for fun a this level and certainly no lightweight.
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:05 pm

It sounds like he is making room for the signing of Pawell Abbott :roll:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:35 pm

He was on loan at Blackpool towards the back end of the season. As Oldham's top goalscorer he'll be going up a level and not down and I expect to see him sign a permanent deal at the seasider's over the next few weeks. If Oldham could have resigned him, then I'd guess they probably would have done, it is not a case of releasing him because he is not good enough. Seeing as Penny has been persuaded to join the Latics probably also means that it is not a case of being able to afford to keep him on.

Abbott won't be coming here, never was. Dread to think what kind of wages he is on at Darlo having previously dropped a level from Huddersfield where he had a good record.

Lee Hughes as a person.........I'll let Skid answer that one. Without knowing all the details of how what has gone on before during and after the event it would be wrong to pass judgement.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Abbott won't be coming here, never was.

I did'nt mean he was coming here, as you indicate he would be £1500 a week too much! I meant Hughes would leave a space for Abbott at Oldham, particularly as Penney knows all about him ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby wijit » Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Should never be allowed near a football shirt again. Did he pay for his actions? No. he could walk barefoot over broken glass for the rest of his days and still feel nothing like the pain he caused.
wijit

Return to General Discussion