Six players released by Carlisle Utd

Re: Six players released by Carlisle Utd

Postby Duffman » Wed May 06, 2009 11:21 am

He'll sign for us but it's a goalscorer we need.
Duffman

Postby Crimson Crust » Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am

Callum wrote:He'll sign for us but it's a goalscorer we need.

Have to agree, A goal ratio of 1:4 isn't good enough for a main striker.

He is still a Legend though! :D
Crimson Crust

Postby Duffman » Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 am

Crimson Crust wrote:

Have to agree, A goal ratio of 1:4 isn't good enough for a main striker.

He is still a Legend though! :D

Stuart Drummond isn't far off that ratio since he's been back with us, perhaps stick him up front. :lol:
Duffman

Postby The Fury » Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 am

I think we have one of them in Aaron Taylor. He's a proper poacher, the likes of which we haven't really had since Robbie Talbot. Whilst he is young and the rest of his game undoubtedly needs improvement, give him a chance and he'll score a goal. In fact, he might work well with Danny, because whilst Danny isn't a finisher and, judging from his recent loan spell here, his link-up play has improved dramatically and he has the coveted attribute of pace to his game, he could act as the 'provider'

To maximise Aaron's finishing ability, however, we need to start getting the ball in the box more often. People wonder about our lack of penalties last season and, for me, the answer isn't anything to do with referee conspiracies; we simply don't get the ball in the box often enough. Most of our goals this season have come from set pieces. Whilst Twissy's crossing ability and Drummond, Bentley and Artell's heading abilities are valuable assets we have, probably, been over-reliant on this method of getting goals. Danny's pace might go some way to giving us an alternative dimension....as long as he doesn't shoot himself.
The Fury

Postby P/T Indie » Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 am

The Fury wrote:

I think we have one of them in Aaron Taylor. He's a proper poacher, the likes of which we haven't really had since Robbie Talbot. Whilst he is young and the rest of his game undoubtedly needs improvement, give him a chance and he'll score a goal. In fact, he might work well with Danny, because whilst Danny isn't a finisher and, judging from his recent loan spell here, his link-up play has improved dramatically and he has the coveted attribute of pace to his game, he could act as the 'provider'

I always felt Danny was best used running toward goal from a deeper position and then putting the ball in the box for someone. At times he was a handful when he ran at defence from deep.

The problem would then be the midfield would have to put balls through to him to run on to it is no good giving him the ball with his back towards goal.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Duffman » Wed May 06, 2009 11:58 am

I'm with most people and think that Taylor has an eye for goal and is a goalscorer but he's unproven over a season. There's too many unknowns to be making him our number one striker. How would he respond to a goal drought? Could he handle a 50 game season? These we don't know whereas if we got an experienced(ish) striker we'd know what we're getting.

I'm not dismissing Taylor as a first team player, I wished he was given more opportunities over the season but it would be wrong to hope/expect too much.
Duffman

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 pm

I'd like to think that the club will be putting together a competitive package to bring Danny back. There will be others after his signature, but I think he showed enough ability during his brief soirée over Christmas to merit a contract here.

Taylor, as Sammy has mentioned, needs to be given time to improve and learn at a steady pace. If we become too reliant upon him for goals it could be detrimental for both parties. He is still very raw.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Wed May 06, 2009 12:40 pm

The Fury wrote:

To maximise Aaron's finishing ability, however, we need to start getting the ball in the box more often. People wonder about our lack of penalties last season and, for me, the answer isn't anything to do with referee conspiracies; we simply don't get the ball in the box often enough. Most of our goals this season have come from set pieces. Whilst Twissy's crossing ability and Drummond, Bentley and Artell's heading abilities are valuable assets we have, probably, been over-reliant on this method of getting goals. Danny's pace might go some way to giving us an alternative dimension....as long as he doesn't shoot himself.

I don't think he will. Being released from Carlisle isn't the end of the world.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby The Fury » Wed May 06, 2009 12:52 pm

shrimper wrote:
The Fury wrote:

I don't think he will. Being released from Carlisle isn't the end of the world.

:lol: oops.
The Fury

Postby John L » Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Whilst on the subject of Carlisle and Morecambe players, Simon Grand has won the Blue Square Premier player of the month award!
http://www.bluesqfootball.com/story/0,20970,13040_5288602,00.html
John L

Postby james456 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:53 pm

No disrepect to Danny, I think he's a decent player but I'm expecting us to sign someone better than O'Carroll as a replacement. And imo, O'Carroll>Carlton
james456

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm

I think that Danny and Diarmuid are very similar players. If anything Danny has more pace, a quality we've been lacking the entire season. In fairness, both have not scored enough goals this season.
RedRedWine1

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed May 06, 2009 4:04 pm

I think Danny's a great play maker and Taylors a good poacher and putting them 2 up front will work well. And I thought 5 was alot ;) .
Little Shrimp

Postby steve mfc » Wed May 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Danny has pace but he just doesn't score enough goals, also he seldom uses his pace to take the ball past defenders, preferring the ball played behind or over the top of the defence to run onto. Maybe with the right strike partner it could work, but his wages could also be an issue.

Ideally we want someone with pace and a good strike rate, but then again so does everybody else.

Last season we didn't have two players that formed a good partnership up front whichever combination was used. Finding that combination wont be easy but if we do it will make the matches much more entertaining and enjoyable to watch.
steve mfc

Postby Harry » Wed May 06, 2009 4:42 pm

i hate to use football manager as my basis for judging players but jeff smith could be a decent player for us if his wages werent an issue. Left sided player who's been with a few northern clubs in higher leagues than ours.
Harry

Postby i-love-mfc » Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm

I think thommo will be back with us next season :D
i-love-mfc

Postby james456 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm really suprised Thommo hasn't cut it at league 1 - he was the best winger in this league and I'd love to have him back.
james456

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 06, 2009 6:30 pm

james456 wrote:I'm really suprised Thommo hasn't cut it at league 1 - he was the best winger in this league and I'd love to have him back.

That's a bit unfair on the lad. He's been out for some time with an injury and has just come back. Some Scunny fans actually hope he can gets involved in their remaining games as he's proven his worth.

The only reason he might consider a move 'westwards' is down to the distance between Kendal and Scunthorpe which is having an effect on his personal life.

As much as I'd like to see him back (despite his sometimes short comings with us) I genuinely would love for him to make it.

As for the Carlisle list, Chris Lumsden is a name often mentioned on Radio Cumbria as being a player who turns in good performances week in and week out.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby John L » Wed May 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Lewis Neal, ex-PNE player and a left-sided midfielder, looks interesting. Anyone know more about him?
John L

Postby james456 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Christies Child wrote:
james456 wrote:I'm really suprised Thommo hasn't cut it at league 1 - he was the best winger in this league and I'd love to have him back.

That's a bit unfair on the lad. He's been out for some time with an injury and has just come back. Some Scunny fans actually hope he can gets involved in their remaining games as he's proven his worth.

The only reason he might consider a move 'westwards' is down to the distance between Kendal and Scunthorpe which is having an effect on his personal life.

As much as I'd like to see him back (despite his sometimes short comings with us) I genuinely would love for him to make it.

As for the Carlisle list, Chris Lumsden is a name often mentioned on Radio Cumbria as being a player who turns in good performances week in and week out.

Ah I didn't know he had injury problems - I just saw that he hadn't made many appearences for them.
james456

Postby The Fury » Wed May 06, 2009 7:09 pm

With Stockport having made Jim Gannon redundant today perhaps a certain other flair player sold last summer might be availble on the cheap?
The Fury

Postby mfcbro » Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 pm

How can you say it is affecting his personal life c.c.He had an operation then injured his ribs,getting married in a couple of years to his long time girlfriend Chelsea.Do you yet again have inside knowledge?
mfcbro

Postby P/T Indie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:59 am

Thommo was doing well before he got injured he had a run of starts and scored a few goals.

I notice that he came on as a sub on saturday for about 30 mins.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am

we need two main strikers now, grab Danny to replace D O'Carrol seeing he free and avalible

but! we do need to splash out and replace R Howe properly
George Dawes

Return to General Discussion