YATES'Y MORECAMBE F.C. LEGEND?

Re: YATES'Y MORECAMBE F.C. LEGEND?

Postby marky » Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 pm

I never said it was the formation, I said it was the personnel. If you believe Sammy McIlroy, we're targetting 4 new players this summer. It's highly unlikely these 4 will all be pacey. Also, Adams cannot play consistently at left-back anymore. He's too slow for that position so going back to 4-4-2 would require a new left-back as well as a new left-footed winger. We'd also need a new central midfielder as it has been proven that none of our present midfielders can play consistently well in a partnership of 2. I actually believe we'd need to bring in more players to successfully revert to 4-4-2 than if we stay with our successful 5-3-2. The fact that none of the released players were midfielders suggests to me that the middle of the park isn't a priority area for the management this summer and all of the players we have for those positions play better as a partnership of 3.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Mark Gwent » Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 pm

ok there is alot of unhappy people just reminder not so long ago he went out on loan ave the faith in sammy and mark they ave done brilliant this season next season we will be pushing for promotion so we start in league 1 in the new stadium
Mark Gwent

Postby parceldave » Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 pm

marky wrote:I never said it was the formation, I said it was the personnel. If you believe Sammy McIlroy, we're targetting 4 new players this summer. It's highly unlikely these 4 will all be pacey. Also, Adams cannot play consistently at left-back anymore. He's too slow for that position so going back to 4-4-2 would require a new left-back as well as a new left-footed winger. We'd also need a new central midfielder as it has been proven that none of our present midfielders can play consistently well in a partnership of 2. I actually believe we'd need to bring in more players to successfully revert to 4-4-2 than if we stay with our successful 5-3-2. The fact that none of the released players were midfielders suggests to me that the middle of the park isn't a priority area for the management this summer and all of the players we have for those positions play better as a partnership of 3.

Im sorry but i cant agree that the 5-3-2 formation is successful , i know we went on an unbeaten run but most of those were draws. If we have players that are too slow then they shouldn't be here, and we should keep players who after been given the cold shoulder come back and play well and have got some pace ;) . You and i may go and watch us grind out a 0-0 draw like at Shrewsbury where we played very well, but the fickle fans want to see us score lots of goals and have a name to talk about. Wainwright can play on the left , Duffy on the right a central midfielder ( gerrard elk) and a good striker (torres elk ). Bedtime ;)
parceldave

Postby marky » Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Whilst I agree on principle re: slow players, two of them have signed for a further year (Adams and Artell) whilst McLachlan and Drummond are hardly the quickest. I've not seen Duffy so I can't comment on him but I don't think any of our other retained players are what I'd describe as pacey. I believe that to be successful with 4-4-2 you need pacey players in all outfield positions (i.e both full-backs, a central defender, both wingers, 1 midfielder & 1 striker). That's 7 players we'd need to find from somewhere. Given we know who our retained players are, for me it would make more sense to stick with 5-3-2 and concentrate on finding players who will improve us in open play within that system. If I was Sammy, my 4 new players would be 2 strikers (1 with pace), a creative midfielder with pace and a left wing-back with pace.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Tue May 05, 2009 11:17 pm

A decent 442 of good players generally win things, it seems to work for Italian teams, and Brazil,
Yates was in the shortlist of 3 for player of the season!!

Matty bell was praised :roll: :roll: :roll: at the presentation night.....then sacked
PUNKISDEAD

Postby shrimper » Wed May 06, 2009 9:28 am

A decent any formation of good players usually does better than any formation of bad players.

I just think for the quality of player we can attract, the flexible 5-3-2 (3-5-2) give us much more solidity (in most games) in midfield. If your wide players are of the standard of Thommo and Baker then you can risk a 4-4-2 because those wide men will always put the opposition on the back foot. But they aren't ten a penny.

Two strikers WILL be a priority and I expect one with pace and one who can rattle their centre-backs, turn in the box and fire a shot off quickly and have a chance of 20 a season. Or a target man and a poacher.

Then another wingback (either to replace Yatesy or to slot in on the left and let Wainer switch) and a midfielder.

I think he thinks we've enough strength and cover in the other defensive positions and reasonable cover in midfield. I hope he gives Stanners an extension as I think he could contribute a lot next season.

As an example up front - and I DON'T know who we're after - something like a Ryan Lowe/Danny Carlton combination or Barry Conlon/Luke Rogers, or Paul Mullin/Michael Boulding.

Not saying we're after (or would have a chance of) those players but that's the kind of combinations I can see being considered.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed May 06, 2009 9:33 am

shrimper wrote:A decent any formation of good players usually does better than any formation of bad players.

I just think for the quality of player we can attract, the flexible 5-3-2 (3-5-2) give us much more solidity (in most games) in midfield. If your wide players are of the standard of Thommo and Baker then you can risk a 4-4-2 because those wide men will always put the opposition on the back foot. But they aren't ten a penny.

Two strikers WILL be a priority and I expect one with pace and one who can rattle their centre-backs, turn in the box and fire a shot off quickly and have a chance of 20 a season. Or a target man and a poacher.

Then another wingback (either to replace Yatesy or to slot in on the left and let Wainer switch) and a midfielder.

I think he thinks we've enough strength and cover in the other defensive positions and reasonable cover in midfield. I hope he gives Stanners an extension as I think he could contribute a lot next season.

As an example up front - and I DON'T know who we're after - something like a Ryan Lowe/Danny Carlton combination or Barry Conlon/Luke Rogers, or Paul Mullin/Michael Boulding.

Not saying we're after (or would have a chance of) those players but that's the kind of combinations I can see being considered.

Stanners signed a 2 year extension last year which took him up to the Summer 2010.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Wed May 06, 2009 9:49 am

but will we actually play two out and out strikers we will probably end up bringing two in one been sat on the bench while the other plays upfront with Twiss or someone behind and then we expect the bloke to run the channels and drop deep etc so he will never get 20 goals a season.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimper » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am

I don't think Sammy will sign anyone to sit on the bench. One or two of those who have been first teamers may do though (that's the theory, anyway!).
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby james456 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:07 pm

I'd like to see us play 5-3-2 next season but eventually change back into a 4-4-2 when we are in the new stadium and have some more pace in the side.

We'll play it safe next season with the same formation/mostly the same squad and try to finish in a respectable league position. Then we can consider having a bit of a clear out and making a promotion push in 10/11.
james456

Previous

Return to General Discussion