Who's right?

Who's right?

Postby ezz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Over the last couple of months there have been arguments about who should stay and who should go, whether we will carry on our form next season and be safe or whether it was luck and hard work with lack of ability that has got us our top half finish.
Personally i dont think many people on this board can say they know a lot about league 2 and the player quality. We have spent about a 10 years in the conference with some of those players still in the team now, is it a coincidence that our recent success has included our team looking familiar to that of our conference days team? Maybe people are over-estimating the gap between league 2 and the conference, the players who got us here are surely good enough to play in league 2 we've seen it with other players such as perkins, carlton, thommo and baker who have gone on to higher teams, some not even highly rated by our own fans.
When people ask would other clubs give contracts to the players we have recently, i actually wonder why not? We get to see the best and the worst of our players whilst those who come to CP and have a blinder may be crap for the other 40+ games.
I think people shouldn't be quick to judge the talent we have as we've proved for a 2nd year as well as gaining promotion that this squad is more than good enough to play league 2.

Of course everyone wants to see new names come in the Summer and especially players they have 'heard of' or players others have told them are 'better' than what we have and that means making space. Personally i'd like to see few names come in this Summer, mainly strikers as we will lose Howe most likely, i agree that players who are injury prone and havnt featured in this second half of the season should go. But players like Twiss, Fraser, Hunter and Artell who have actually proved themselves in recent times being slated on the forums and hoping that they will be released is absurd and although everyone is entitle to their own opinion i think they are wrong and the league table says so.

Rant over
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: Who's right?

Postby Sharpy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:56 pm

you would seriously keep Fraser as a 1st team player? i agree with the others you mentioned, maybe not Artell recently, but i can't see Fraser being useful to us anymore.
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby james456 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 pm

ezz wrote:I think people shouldn't be quick to judge the talent we have as we've proved for a 2nd year as well as gaining promotion that this squad is more than good enough to play league 2.

Few would argue with that but is the squad good enough to compete at league 1 level?
james456

Postby Pandashrimp » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:50 pm

Sharpy wrote:you would seriously keep Fraser as a 1st team player? i agree with the others you mentioned, maybe not Artell recently, but i can't see Fraser being useful to us anymore.

Fraser can do a very simple job for us but i personally do not think is worth a new deal. I am sure we could sign a holding midfield player out of contract in the summer, far better than Fraser. Artell?? i am also not his biggest fan but truth is he has been immense since the turn of the year and fully deserves a new deal.

I would hate to see Twiss go but he just has not been up to scratch for far too long from open play. Having said that is it worth keeping him for inswinging set-pieces alone?!! They have just been undefendable at times this season and by the sound of things his crossing worked a treat today. That has to be Sammy's toughest decision this summer.
Pandashrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:16 am

I rate Fraser, he does a lot of the ugly stuff well and is very effective. I think Sammy rates him quite highly also. I've heard him say that Fraser does not get the credit he deserves most of the time. Worth keeping in my view.

I can see Blinkhorn bagging a hattrick on Saturday and a new deal in the process. Capable of doing a job for somebody, just not us as the last two seasons have shown.

I did like the look of Parrish at the start of the season but he has not featured much in the first team this year. Has potential, but possibly needs beefing up to make it as he looks lightweight.

Starts to become difficult after that. People comment that our squad is not strong when you look at individual players on paper and compare to what other sides have. Yet there aren't many I'd shift on. The players might not get into other sides, but they work well together as a unit. A team is only as strong as its weakest part. Some sides are blessed with a few quality players negated by weaknesses in other areas (Bradford and Chesterfield being prime examples), whereas we look pretty solid across the park.
RedRedWine1

Postby ezz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:33 am

james456 wrote:
ezz wrote:I think people shouldn't be quick to judge the talent we have as we've proved for a 2nd year as well as gaining promotion that this squad is more than good enough to play league 2.

Few would argue with that but is the squad good enough to compete at league 1 level?

Seeing as were definately in league 2 next year i think thats all that needs to be addressed right now. The players we have are good enough to keep performing well in league 2, each season obviously you expect fresh faces and new talent untill we have a side that clicks and gets promotion or close to it. For all we know were only one stirker and one winger off a promotion chasing squad.......keeping mind we sign Roche who is the most important player for us right now
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby George Dawes » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:19 am

crap topic.
George Dawes

Postby parceldave » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Sharpy wrote:you would seriously keep Fraser as a 1st team player? i agree with the others you mentioned, maybe not Artell recently, but i can't see Fraser being useful to us anymore.

Im not a big fan either but i would say Fraser was our best player yesterday but as for the rest . Hmm. I just hope that when S.M. goes shopping this summer that he tries M & S rather than Aldi . ;)
parceldave

Postby ezz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 pm

DawZi wrote:crap topic.

It's ok your not old enough for proper discussion :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion