A bit of Ned!!

A bit of Ned!!

Postby admiral47 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:07 pm

At the end of day most Morecambe fans will feel pleased with how the season finished and the great run since January. However is that down to a great squad or guts and determination- the latter I think. Next year we have given contracts to Wayne, Fraser, Dave Artell, and Danny Adams- how many other division 2 clubs would have them? Don’t get me wrong they have all been brilliant with the effort but they all lack pace and the wrong side of 30. Sammy made a couple of good signings but most were not up to the mark. Unless we get some good players in the Summer we will be hovering at the bottom.
admiral47

Re: A bit of Ned!!

Postby Howe Magic » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 pm

I think your having a laugh mate - two seasons in league two and two top half finishes ((players and management are obviously doing something right - and to be honest all these players fully deserve contract extensions
Howe Magic

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Dave Artell and Danny Adams have been outstanding in the recent run. 4 away clean sheets on the trot.

and only Danny Adams is over 30 years old of the players you mentioned.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby northstandshrimp2009 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:36 pm

Bit of a shakey start to the Season .But may i say WELL_DONE too Sammy and Mark and the Boys for playing some GOOD Football.We've beaten some TOP teams along the way(Bradford,Brentford,Shrewsbury,+a good Point against Bury)We need to BUY some experienced League2 Players in the Transfer Window ,And too Push for Promotion too League1 as CHAMPIOINES..
northstandshrimp2009

Postby fletch_al » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:05 pm

truth is if we'd had the recent form throughout the season would be easily in the playoffs possibly contending for an automatic spot. so sammy and the team have cleary have clearly been getting things right since january and contract extensions are deserved.
fletch_al

Postby james456 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Hate to be pessimistic but on paper, we do not have a particularly strong squad. Its team spirit and the way the squad has gelled that has got us into this half of the table.

Still, theres no reason why that cannot continue I suppose but if we are to get into league 1, we will need some more pace at both ends of the pitch and a more incisive midfield. We work hard over the course of a game but I feel we should be scoring more considering the possession we often have.

Having said all that, there is no expectation for us to achieve promotion next season and I predict we'll do reasonably well with the squad we have.
james456

Postby Christies Child » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:42 pm

I'm sure that Sammy has identified our short comings and finance permitting should be looking to rectify the problem. He's often saying that it's the final third that is letting us down.

Close season should be interesting......rumour mill aside!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Howe Magic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:07 am

Just wondering if the original poster (admiral) as ever watched morecambe - we have just had 2 defeats in 20 games and he thinks we will struggle next season - in my Opinion there is no reason why we cant finish mid table or above yet again
Howe Magic

Postby admiral47 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:31 am

In reply to Howe Magic Yes I am a regular supporter and unlike yourself offering more of an objective opinion. It is clear from the stats that we are not scoring enough and also it is clear we lack pace across the pitch. Given our squad I think we are punching above our weight and worry that we may struggle next year. Am I the only one who thinks Barry has been our best player and kept us in a lot of matches?? I think the team spirit is the thing that has kept us in the races and with additional quality yes we could be in with a play off shout next year.
admiral47

Postby fletch_al » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 am

thats a good point actually. roche has saved alot of points for us and has played a huge part in our recent run. we do need a goal scorer or 2

as for struggling. im confident we wont be any kind of relagation battle
fletch_al

Postby Howe Magic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:43 am

Wont be long before people start saying third year syndrome - maybe we are punching above our weight but like sammy mac keeps saying we are a new club in the league and are learning all the time
Howe Magic

Postby Crimson Crust » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:46 pm

I wouldn't like to think finishing mid-table next season is successful.

so on this years success, which it is; I would think a shot at the Play-Off's
should be in our sights for next season. If that means releasing certain players
and adding new blood to strengthen the squad, so be it.

The tricky part is finding them.
Crimson Crust

Postby bigreddog » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 pm

Next season is sure to historic on and off the pitch. Saying goodbye to christie park and continuing to biuld the squad. Of course we punch above our weight, we're Morecambe. The important thing is that we keep punching ( a bit like Carl Froch last night) if that means we get by on team spirit then great.

My only concern about next season is that our budget will be based on this years reduced attendances and therefore reduced turnover (hence the transfer embargo), we may jst have to cut our cloth accordingly, so people shouldn't expect too much in the summer as far as transfers go. we need to do what we've always done, manage prudently and build steadily.

with our financial security now though, it would be nice if we could pull off a couple of surprise moves. All we can do is try and get more through the turnstiles, that means we should all keep evangelising about the club, get our season tickets, buy the new shirt when it comes out and encourage everyone we know to support our local club.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby parceldave » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:54 pm

admiral47 wrote:In reply to Howe Magic Yes I am a regular supporter and unlike yourself offering more of an objective opinion. It is clear from the stats that we are not scoring enough and also it is clear we lack pace across the pitch. Given our squad I think we are punching above our weight and worry that we may struggle next year. Am I the only one who thinks Barry has been our best player and kept us in a lot of matches?? I think the team spirit is the thing that has kept us in the races and with additional quality yes we could be in with a play off shout next year.

Totally agree, Roache has kept us in a lot of games and if we play in 4-4-2 formation then we need some pace and defo goalscorer . ;)
parceldave

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:32 am

I don't think anyone's being negative. The teams that go backwards are those who think they're good enough.

I think Sammy is giving contracts now (one-year ones, which is a good idea) to those who he knows he can rely on to do a specific job week in, week out, and who will not give him any off-field problems.
That may be as first choice players or as part of a squad, as cover.

Some will also be released.

We don't have a massive squad now so, if we can get the finances agreed by the league - bearing in mind our stable position - then we should have some scope for bringing in a few.

The team and everyone connected with the club has done really well but if we just think we've got a good enough squad to do that again next year we could suffer.

One or two bad results early on and confidence takes a blow and you find yourselves in a scrap.

I don't think for one minute that Sam or the board are complacent and they will know that we have to bring in three or four quality players just to give us a good chance of a similar season next time.

That doesn't criticise anyone for what we've done this season, which has been a fantastic effort. It's just reality. You need to improve your squad just to stand still.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby simmy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 am

The management team and players within our squad have proved how far hard work, organisation and a system that works can get you, and for that they have to congratulated.

What we now need to add is more creativity to our play and the ability to take advantage of the chances created.

The addition of three or four players to the core of our current squad should see us continunig to progress. We certainly do not need to make any drastic changes in personnel during the summer.

In many ways to start the season with a settled and established squad, who know their roles and how the system operates is a great advantage.

To continue moving forwards we need to add to what we already have rather than make wholesale changes.

The players have proved that they are good enough, Sammy and Mark just need to add a little bit more quality in certain areas and we will continue to progress.

Onwards and upwards.
simmy

Return to General Discussion