Mystery re: Rene Howe

Re: Mystery re: Rene Howe

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Christies Child wrote:As Sammy ofter says 'it's the fianl third where we need extra quality'

For me that means an attacking, creative midfielder; a winger and a proven striker /goal poacher(s).

We've got Wainwright and we should sign Duffy. I think we're okay for wingers with Wayne able to play out wide as well.

Two good strikers will be the priority (or keep O'Carroll and sign one more if Sammy thinks Diarmuid's worth another shot).

Then, yes, maybe another midfielder and a versatile defender.

Couple of loans perhaps - full or half season.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby campdave » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Christies Child wrote:
For me that means an attacking, creative midfielder; a winger and a proven striker /goal poacher(s).

Sounds cheap
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Radio Lancashire's lunch time Sports Bulletin have reported that the club have sent Howe back to Posh for the reasons already reported.

His removal from the wages bill will hopefully give Sammy some leverage in the transfer market where there will be an abundance of players seeking employment. Unfortunately that doesn't always mean that it's the cream who are available....
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

one way of looking at it is better now, than the start of next season
George Dawes

Postby james456 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:56 pm

I still think we need a good left winger.

Wainwright has done very well this season, considering he's a right winger playing at left wing back but he is forced to cut back and cross with his right foot too often and when he does cross with his weaker foot, the quality of his crosses suffers.

We need someone who is naturally left footed who can cross. Pace would be nice too. Then Wainwright and Duffy can rotate in that right wing role. Only problem is finding someone available with those attributes who is prepared to come to Morecambe but if it were me, I'd certainly be prepared to splash out for a good winger.
james456

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm

and I still think we need a creative midfielder someone who is going to play the ball through for the strikers to run on to and score a few goals from making forward runs.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm

james456 wrote:I still think we need a good left winger.

Wainwright has done very well this season, considering he's a right winger playing at left wing back but he is forced to cut back and cross with his right foot too often and when he does cross with his weaker foot, the quality of his crosses suffers.

We need someone who is naturally left footed who can cross. Pace would be nice too. Then Wainwright and Duffy can rotate in that right wing role. Only problem is finding someone available with those attributes who is prepared to come to Morecambe but if it were me, I'd certainly be prepared to splash out for a good winger.

If you want to play with two out and out wingers (which I don't - it leaves you exposed in the middle) you could just play Wainwright on the right and Duffy on the left.

But they are both good players, as is Yatesy, and I think we're okay on the flanks now.

With Henry McStay able to cover a couple of defensive positions (or play instead of one of the others if they lose form) we're not bad at the back. Maybe another coming in with a bit more pace, perhaps.

If Stanners is retained and gets fully fit to bring a bit more pace to the middle then, perhaps with one new addition, we'd also not be badly off in the middle.

Strikers are the clear priority for me and I'd even be prepared to see NO new players other than two decent strikers.

If we are releasing a few then I'd use any available funds for those and then work from there with loans etc.

Ideally, we DO need to bring a few in but we have to look at where we really need more quality and I think that's right up front.

Continue to bring Aaron on slowly.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:11 pm

shrimper wrote:
james456 wrote:I still think we need a good left winger.

If you want to play with two out and out wingers (which I don't - it leaves you exposed in the middle) you could just play Wainwright on the right and Duffy on the left.

But they are both good players, as is Yatesy, and I think we're okay on the flanks now.

With Henry McStay able to cover a couple of defensive positions (or play instead of one of the others if they lose form) we're not bad at the back. Maybe another coming in with a bit more pace, perhaps.

If Stanners is retained and gets fully fit to bring a bit more pace to the middle then, perhaps with one new addition, we'd also not be badly off in the middle.

Strikers are the clear priority for me and I'd even be prepared to see NO new players other than two decent strikers.

If we are releasing a few then I'd use any available funds for those and then work from there with loans etc.

Ideally, we DO need to bring a few in but we have to look at where we really need more quality and I think that's right up front.

Continue to bring Aaron on slowly.

and how will we supply these strikers, with players just labouring and some playing out of position, are we just to play long balls up to them n hope?
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:18 pm

No - with the players I've mentioned and, particularly, the benefit of Duffy having had half a season and a close-season under his belt.

(I'd hope also that new strikers would be able to create chances themselves.)

Otherwise what? Go to 4-4-2 to accommodate the new winger? Or drop Yatesy or Danny and get a new wing-back?

Not saying that if a great flank player became available on good terms we'd turn him down - just that I don't see it as a priority.
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:31 pm

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I do love this time of the year, when we all start speculating about what and who we need. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One thing we are all agreed on (it must be a first :shock: :lol: ) is the need for a quality proven striker(s).

With young Taylor and possibly the new lad who fetured in the reserves last week, we have the bonus of a couple of eager and hungry players to support and challenge more accomplished players; one of whom I hope will be O'Carroll now that Howe has returned to where he came from.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Number 1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:26 pm

I think we need a veteran type of goal grabber a bit like Peter Thorne. I'm not saying Thorne, but someone of that ilk. Someone who's done it down the years and has a couple of years left in him that he'll spend in the lower division.
Number 1

Postby Posh » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:45 pm

It all depends on whether Sammy decides to change the very successful 5-3-2 formation. I doubt it. If not then Sammy has some very clear choices.

Firstly, does he sign Duffy? His defending on Saturday was to put it honestly simply atrocious but I don't think that's what we bought him for - so not really a wing-back. He's been tried in the centre but looked more comfortable on the wing. In an ideal world he'd be an attacking creative central midfielder to fit with the formation. In that role he played a couple of fantastic passes at Exeter - one in the dying seconds that Blinkhorn should have scored from but actually got so tangled up in his feet attempting for some reason to trap it it was easy to confuse people that he'd actually had a chance. If Sammy can make him not just right winger then he could be a real asset.

On the left we've got Neil Wainwright and Andy Parrish, so we're done there. On the right it maybe we rely on Adam Yates with Mark Duffy or even Garry Hunter as cover. In central defence then Jimbo, Arts, Danny Adams and Henry with young Matty Bell as cover (a prospect who few on this site who want rid of have seen), so I don't think any change there.
In centre mid we've got Fraser, Drummy, Garry Hunter and Stanners with others such as Wayne, Twissy and Mark Duffy possibly capable of playing there.

Up front though is the big one. Of our players up front - Rene Howe, Diarmuid, Blinks, Aaron, Wayne and Twissy - I'd struggle to automatically pick the first one on the teamsheet next season. I think at least three will leave and the other two aren't going to be the goalbaggers we need.

In summary then at least two strikers - ideally someone like Ryan Lowe and possibly try out a couple of potentials from non-league (Lee Novak at Gateshead and Richard Brodie at York City spring to mind). If there is more money then cover for right wing-back and a creative midfielder plus an extension to Barry Roche's contract.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Posh wrote
On the left we've got Neil Wainwright and Andy Parrish

are they both left-footed? and can they both cross "EARLY" good first time balls, across the goal
George Dawes

Postby Posh » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Just read Shrimper's post after posting my own. :roll:

As regards Wainers being left-footed I've seen enough that he's good enough with both feet when top of his game. It also didn't bother me with Lee Elam either. His crossing isn't great but he did improve substantially as the season went on. It also needs a midfielder willing to offer themselves on the edge of the box (as Celi did for Elam) to provide another option.

However with both players the fundamental issue is that they're both on contract for another year and I doubt we're going to pay any one off again.

Finally, while good wingers do get goals (Thommo on loan next year??) a FIFA study showed that the key spot in football is players attacking around the D of the penalty area. We need to show we can get goals from attacking right across the final third.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Gnasher » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Duffy expected to sign according to sammy last night.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Christies Child wrote:eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I do love this time of the year, when we all start speculating about what and who we need

Some would say a little bit too much! ;) :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby Farnsfield Shrimp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Unfortunately Lee Novak has already signed for Huddersfield. I think he is tecnically back on loan at Gateshead until the end of the season.
Farnsfield Shrimp

Postby steve mfc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I think any player who can improve our play in the final third of the field and give us more of a cutting edge should be considered.

It doesn't have to be a striker it could be a midfielder or winger, everybody wants a 20 goals a season striker, i know on the face of it we are ok for central midfielders and wide players but who wouldn't have Thommo back, or baker when it comes to it.

Someone like Jimmy Ryan at Accrington would be a good acquisition.
steve mfc

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Glynn Hurst at Bury??? Contract expires at the end of the season. Seems to have a decent record of finding the net at the clubs he has played for. I remember he left under a cloud of smoke at Notts County, who couldn't score for toffee when he left. A decent signing in my eyes.
RedRedWine1

Postby The Fury » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:18 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Glynn Hurst at Bury??? Contract expires at the end of the season. Seems to have a decent record of finding the net at the clubs he has played for. I remember he left under a cloud of smoke at Notts County, who couldn't score for toffee when he left. A decent signing in my eyes.

I'd rather Aaron was given an extended run.
The Fury

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:27 pm

I think Aaron has potential, but it's a big ask for us to become reliant upon him to be starting week in week out next season and scoring goals. It's a massive step up from playing the odd game, or being thrown on for the last 20 as an impact substitute. Perhaps a loan spell at a lower level might do him some good? All bodes well for the future anyhow. Good to see some good young players coming through the youth system once again.
RedRedWine1

Postby The Red Knight » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:35 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I think Aaron has potential, but it's a big ask for us to become reliant upon him to be starting week in week out next season and scoring goals. It's a massive step up from playing the odd game, or being thrown on for the last 20 as an impact substitute. Perhaps a loan spell at a lower level might do him some good? All bodes well for the future anyhow. Good to see some good young players coming through the youth system once again.

I disagree. Aaron scored 4 goals in 9 starts last season which is a better goal to game ratio than any of the other strikers at the club.

Aaron is 19 now, plenty of players up and down the country play for their clubs on a regular basis at this age and even younger so I don't see why Aaron isn't capable of being a big part of our team next year. As they say, if you're good enough, you're old enough and for me he certainly is.
The Red Knight

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Glynn Hurst at Bury??? Contract expires at the end of the season. Seems to have a decent record of finding the net at the clubs he has played for. I remember he left under a cloud of smoke at Notts County, who couldn't score for toffee when he left. A decent signing in my eyes.

Bury will offer him another contract though, won't they?
shrimper

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Totally agree with red knight.

the 31 year old bloke from chester averages one in 5 including sub appearances

so Taylor it is for me, 17 year old Rooney seemed to thrive 8-) 8-) 8-)
PUNKISDEAD

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Our experience of ex QoS players has been poor.QUOTE BY CC

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EVER HEARD OF GERRY IRVING, MATE :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PUNKISDEAD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion