Mystery re: Rene Howe

Re: Mystery re: Rene Howe

Postby Crooky MFC » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Posh wrote:Strange as it may sound I think Rene will struggle to get a club next season. He's clearly very talented but an ego the size of a house - 'Rene The Legend Howe'; a lack of loyalty (Radio Lancs interview - 'my next club will be chosen by my agent while I'm on holiday'); and an inability to raise the pace and commitment of his game except perhaps when scouts are in the stand.

He's infuriating because if he had the passion, desire and perspective of players like Jim Bentley or Michael Twiss (gave up League football to prove himself with us) he'd be playing at a very high level and getting the undying adulation of the fans.

Given the current climate there will be very few clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 willing to part with anything like the £3K a week he's believed to be on in his current contract at Peterborough. However his agent will be expected to bring it in. I wouldn't pay anything like that amount for who could turn out to be a 'show pony' once the long-term contract is signed (and that's clearly the risk).

I can only agree, his attitude somewhat stinks at times.
Crooky MFC

Postby Curly » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Newby scored more from less starts, apparently had a bit of an attitude too,
but cost a lot less ;)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Vinny » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:28 pm

I have really enjoyed watching Rene in our team this season, and think he has shown he is a quality player. Other than his 'wonder goal' against Bradford, I recall another brilliant strike when he first arrived in pre-season. Unfortunately he has shown variable commitment in some games, but I suspect that this may have been due to his hamstring problem and it has to be said a lack of reliable service from the wing. We can only think what he might have done with Thommo's crosses.

He did set himself a target this season of 15 goals. I think he's presently on 12. So it will be nice to see him bag a hat-trick on Saturday 8-)
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 am

Rene rarely set the world alight. Moment of the season stil against Bradford. Talented but hardly spectacular. Sign-up for another year and make a name for yourself. otherwise become another Justin jackson. :?
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:52 am

Wild Bill wrote:Rene rarely set the world alight. Moment of the season stil against Bradford. Talented but hardly spectacular. Sign-up for another year and make a name for yourself. otherwise become another Justin jackson. :?

Not if it means forking out the £1500 a week that he's rumoured to be on PLUS whatever a permanent signing on fee would be.

I'd rather we had a couple on £750 and played for the shirt anyday.

Remember there will be hundreds of players out of work this close season as teams look to cut back on expenditure. There will be the quality that we desperately need in the final third at an affordable price.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Crimson Crust » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 am

I wonder if he went in "Jim's wheelie bin" when he first arrived?
Crimson Crust

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 am

I can't see who would take him on his wages he would have to take a big drop. I don't think he quite has the pace to play in league 1 (otherwise boro would have kept him) maybe a top league 2 team with money Bradford, Shrewsbury etc but even then he wouldn't get the wages he is on now.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby cultured » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 am

I'm sure that if his sponsorship from Nando's in the Arndale Centre comes through he'll be fine.
cultured

Postby cultured » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 am

Posh wrote:Strange as it may sound I think Rene will struggle to get a club next season. He's clearly very talented but an ego the size of a house - 'Rene The Legend Howe'; a lack of loyalty (Radio Lancs interview - 'my next club will be chosen by my agent while I'm on holiday'); and an inability to raise the pace and commitment of his game except perhaps when scouts are in the stand.

He's infuriating because if he had the passion, desire and perspective of players like Jim Bentley or Michael Twiss (gave up League football to prove himself with us) he'd be playing at a very high level and getting the undying adulation of the fans.

Given the current climate there will be very few clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 willing to part with anything like the £3K a week he's believed to be on in his current contract at Peterborough. However his agent will be expected to bring it in. I wouldn't pay anything like that amount for who could turn out to be a 'show pony' once the long-term contract is signed (and that's clearly the risk).

I was saying much myself the other week. I can't see many clubs wanting to give him more than £1500 a week (still a staggering wage), and the only club anywhere near the Manchester nightlife he craves which will pay it is probably us.
cultured

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Will be interesting to see if he's at the presentation 'do' on Sunday.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Christies Child wrote:Will be interesting to see if he's at the presentation 'do' on Sunday.

Will be interesting to see if he is in the squad on Saturday.

His remark in Shrimpscene questionaire when asked to name a sport other than football he was good at was "chatting up girls".
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Welshrimp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

bring in someone like James Constable from Oxford, or Steve Morison from Stevenage. Or Scott Dobbie from Queen of the South.

Morison for sure is one to look out for. What about Andrew Mangan from FGR - gazillions of goals in a team that hasn't set the league alight?
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby cultured » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Welshrimp wrote:
bring in someone like James Constable from Oxford, or Steve Morison from Stevenage. Or Scott Dobbie from Queen of the South.

Morison for sure is one to look out for. What about Andrew Mangan from FGR - gazillions of goals in a team that hasn't set the league alight?

Andy Mangan be a sure fire bet, that's for sure.
cultured

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Welshrimp wrote:

Pretty sure we've enquired about Morison before and he's pretty well tied to the south (Mrs has a good job down there evidently).

I think Ryan Lowe would be worth a look, perhaps.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm

cultured wrote:
Welshrimp wrote:

Was on pre-season trial a season or so ago. Then went elsewhere without putting on the red shirt in a game.

As an ex-Accy cast off I'm not sure he's got the guaranteed experience to deliver what Sammy could be looking out for.

Lowe and Abbot both of whom will be available have the proven ability. As for Dobbie, he's a bit of a 'journey man' who has had a number of clubs including Workington, Carlisle and QoS I seem to recall. Our experience of ex QoS players has been poor.
Christies Child

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Akinfenwa for Northampton, he'd bag 50 and we'd go up as champions :D
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Crooky MFC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Rene is moving back 'home' on Wednesday, so I guess we have seen the last of him in a MFC shirt. He's thanking everyone on his facebook for his time in Manchester, including the team and his friends he's met whilst being out on-loan. No mention of the fans for Rochdale or Morecambe at all :roll:
Crooky MFC

Postby cultured » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am

Christies Child wrote:

Was on pre-season trial a season or so ago. Then went elsewhere without putting on the red shirt in a game.

As an ex-Accy cast off I'm not sure he's got the guaranteed experience to deliver what Sammy could be looking out for.

Lowe and Abbot both of whom will be available have the proven ability. As for Dobbie, he's a bit of a 'journey man' who has had a number of clubs including Workington, Carlisle and QoS I seem to recall. Our experience of ex QoS players has been poor.[/quote]

Forget it, if you have to explain it, it's rarely funny.
cultured

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 am

id like Miles Weston that speed demon of a left winger off Notts County
George Dawes

Postby Duffman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 am

DawZi wrote:id like Miles Weston that speed demon of a left winger off Notts County

The one who was great against us at their place but at ours ran straight off the pitch with the ball? He would fit in well and is the type of player I'd like to see but he's a bit.... Dean Howell-ish?
Duffman

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 am

Welshrimp wrote:

Morison being courted by Millwall at the moment, as per rumour I've heard. As others have mentioned, Southern based player unlikely to move North. No doubting his talent and ability.

Mangan is in hot water at the moment with the FA over betting allegations whilst at Stanley. There could be more to follow, as suspicion has been raised over his current club FGR after last week's game with Grays. I don't think anybody up the pyramid will touch him until the cases have been concluded, or the punishments served.

It indeed looks like we have seen the last of Rene Howe. I think he has got all the attributes to be a good player at this level, and possibly the one above. However, for his alleged salary I don't think he represents good value for money. I'd be reluctant for us to sign him on whatever we are currently paying him, let alone what Posh do. He brings others into the game and has shown good quality and composure during periods of games, though his goals tally isn't that stunning for us or Rochdale. I think this might have been picked up on more if other areas of the team hadn't contributed as many goals (10 goals from Drummond this season as it stands). One of the few question marks about Howe is his ability, its more a case of does he want it badly enough? If he does then I believe that he'll have a long successful career. Good luck.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:12 am

DawZi wrote:i just hope SM starts signing players, right after the season finishes as oppose to before the start of next season

then go on holiday

Sammy stated last night that "there won't be as many signings as some people may think". If you consider our restrictions under the embargo because of the lower attendances this season than originally budgeted for, we will have to cut our cloth accordingly. Hopefully our fabulous board will have convinced the League that we will be "debt free" and should'nt have the same penalty as these other overspending clubs.

I do however think that we will have to wait for the income from the new facilities to kick in before we can go on a spending spree :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:47 am

i only think we need 2 or maybe 3

a striker
a left winger
then maybe a veteran midfielder who doesn't mind dropping down a division or two age 30+ on a free transfer, with valuable experience

and offload Blinkhorn Bell and Davies we don't need 3 keepers
George Dawes

Postby Duffman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 am

DawZi wrote:i only think we need 2 or maybe 3

a striker
a left winger
then maybe a veteran midfielder who doesn't mind dropping down a division or two age 30+ on a free transfer, with valuable experience

and offload Blinkhorn Bell and Davies we don't need 3 keepers

Who's that chap called that many moons ago was our captain? I think our centre midfield has a good balance. Drummond, Hunter, Stanley and Fraser all offer something different and four centre midfielders is plenty for us.

I agree we need an extra winger with pace and a decent final ball. An out and out goalscorer would be great but they're hard to find.
Duffman

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 pm

As Sammy ofter says 'it's the fianl third where we need extra quality'

For me that means an attacking, creative midfielder; a winger and a proven striker /goal poacher(s).
Christies Child

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion