Play-Off dream gone but what a great effort

Play-Off dream gone but what a great effort

Postby bigreddog » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:13 pm

It is now mathematicaly impossible for us to make the play-offs, but a great effort to get a result at Exeter and a superb season all in all. would be nice to top it off next week, but whatever happens many congratulations to all the directors, staff and players of Morecambe Football Club. We're proud of you.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Re: Play-Off dream gone but what a great effort

Postby Why no t » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Here here
Life without football is.......
Why no t

Postby james456 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Lets have 3 points against Bournemouth and a great finish to the season.
james456

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Ned won't be happy but the rest of us think it has been an excellent season.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby parkyboy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Congratulations to all connected with the club on a successful season , lets finish with a win in front of a good crowd next week the players deserve our support for the season and especially the last 19 match run
parkyboy

Postby bigreddog » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Keith wrote:Ned won't be happy but the rest of us think it has been an excellent season.

Come on then Ned where are ya, lets be avin you!!!!!!!!!!
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
bigreddog

Postby Howe Magic » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:30 pm

If chesterfield draw with bradford next saturday and we beat bournemouth we will finish 9th which will be fantastic in my humble opinion
Howe Magic

Postby The Fury » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:33 pm

We finished 11th last year, it'd be nice to beat that finish this time round.
The Fury

Postby Howe Magic » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:38 pm

We can finish 9th 10th or 11th
Howe Magic

Postby bigreddog » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:41 pm

So we can't finish lower than last season then, that's brilliant.
Fans' Club Morecambe

bigreddog

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:05 pm

bigreddog wrote:It is now mathematicaly impossible for us to make the play-offs, but a great effort to get a result at Exeter and a superb season all in all. would be nice to top it off next week, but whatever happens many congratulations to all the directors, staff and players of Morecambe Football Club. We're proud of you.

Absolutely! They gave us hope of more glory almost to the end. Another great season to be a Morecambe supporter. When you compare resources etc' perhaps only Dagenham have over achieved more than us this season.

Next Saturday gives us an opportunity to thank the directors players and staff and I for one hope as many as possible make a special effort to show our gratitude.

Well done all, onwards and upwards.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby John L » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:37 pm

bigreddog wrote:So we can't finish lower than last season then, that's brilliant.

It is great, but if we can finish higher than last season's 11th, to go with the higher points total, then that would be the icing on the cake! 8-)
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby steve mfc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 pm

To get to the penultimate game of the season and still have a chance of a play off place was a superb effort, especially when you consider how the first half of the season went.

Was the turn round in fortunes down to a return of form, or was it down to the change in formation, if it was just down to the latter then who knows where we might have finished if the change had been made sooner, personally i think it was a bit of both plus a return to the work ethic and never say die attitude that made our first season a success.

Its not as if we have had a settled side either, in fact i would say when you consider the amount of injury's to key players that we have had this season then to get to the position we have done is little short of a miracle.

It really has been a huge success for the squad as a whole, the management and the board.
steve mfc

Postby Ned » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 am

Keith wrote:Ned won't be happy but the rest of us think it has been an excellent season.

You keep dangling the hook and since you continue to ignore the bigger picture of my postings let me again clarify my position. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of this season and if any of my constructive comments have fired up the management/players to prove me wrong then I consider this to be a positive.
On the way forward I hope the manager does not read SV. The league stats show that we have not scored enough and as usual opinion is divided that the fault is with the strikers or the lack of creative midfielders. In truth it is probably a combination of both but the end result is we need an influx of better forwards and/or midfielders if possible which means releasing some crowd favourites. However there are unrealistic posts on here (e.g. O'carrol has good control???) making the case for retaining all these players which is ridiculous as some of them clearly do not contribute enough but are carried through on the back of the team's strong defence.
Ned

Postby james456 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:12 am

Simply Ned wrote:

You keep dangling the hook and since you continue to ignore the bigger picture of my postings let me again clarify my position. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of this season and if any of my constructive comments have fired up the management/players to prove me wrong then I consider this to be a positive.
On the way forward I hope the manager does not read SV. The league stats show that we have not scored enough and as usual opinion is divided that the fault is with the strikers or the lack of creative midfielders. In truth it is probably a combination of both but the end result is we need an influx of better forwards and/or midfielders if possible which means releasing some crowd favourites. However there are unrealistic posts on here (e.g. O'carrol has good control???) making the case for retaining all these players which is ridiculous as some of them clearly do not contribute enough but are carried through on the back of the team's strong defence.

:|
You are actually quite talented at what you do, Ned.
james456

Postby Aspers » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 am

Brilliant Ned quite Brilliant

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aspers

Postby campdave » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 am

Simply Ned wrote:if any of my constructive comments have fired up the management/players to prove me wrong then I consider this to be a positive.

I hope your contribution to our success this season is recognised at the awards evening.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am

Everybody knows that I say it as I see it, irrespective of the flack that sometimes comes my way.

For once I have to agree with Simply Ned in his assessment which is constructive and an accurate evaluation of our short comings of this season.

It's been excellent. Bloody excellent in fact. But it could have been so much better with a bit more positive play and for the want of even a couple of more wins instead of draws we could have secured at the very least a play off place.

Sammy and his team have set a minimum standard for next season. With the addition of extra quality in certain areas, maybe the dream of starting life in the new stadium will after all, be as a promoted club to Division 1.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:54 am

Christies Child wrote:Everybody knows that I say it as I see it, irrespective of the flack that sometimes comes my way.

For once I have to agree with Simply Ned in his assessment which is constructive and an accurate evaluation of our short comings of this season.

It's been excellent. Bloody excellent in fact. But it could have been so much better with a bit more positive play and for the want of even a couple of more wins instead of draws we could have secured at the very least a play off place.

Sammy and his team have set a minimum standard for next season. With the addition of extra quality in certain areas, maybe the dream of starting life in the new stadium will after all, be as a promoted club to Division 1.

Or if a few of those draws had been defeats and a couple of the wins we nicked by the odd goal had been draws, we may have been in a very different position.

There's nothing wrong with ambition but I still feel we need three or four more good quality players just to have a good chance of securing mid-table again next season.

To get a squad capable of really challenging for the top I reckon it will take a big shift in our financial clout. It's okay saying we need a couple of new strikers but for them to be a big improvement on what we've got will take (unless we drop really lucky) a big step up in the sort of money we've been used to paying.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 am

shrimper wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Everybody knows that I say it as I see it, irrespective of the flack that sometimes comes my way.

Or if a few of those draws had been defeats and a couple of the wins we nicked by the odd goal had been draws, we may have been in a very different position.

There's nothing wrong with ambition but I still feel we need three or four more good quality players just to have a good chance of securing mid-table again next season.

To get a squad capable of really challenging for the top I reckon it will take a big shift in our financial clout. It's okay saying we need a couple of new strikers but for them to be a big improvement on what we've got will take (unless we drop really lucky) a big step up in the sort of money we've been used to paying.

But there will be hundreds of players available who will be only too glad to be earning a guaranteed weekly wage from a stable and progressive club. The financial security that we can provide to a player could well be the persuasive catalyst that encourages them to seek financial security rather then chase what could be elusive 'big bucks'. Money does talk, but financial security in these days talks even louder.
Last edited by Christies Child on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Crimson Crust » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 am

Christies Child wrote:

But there will be hundreds of players available who will be only to glad to be earning a guaranteed weekly wage from a stable and progressive club. The financial security that we can provide to a player could well be the persuasive catalyst that encourages them to seek financial security rather then chase what could be elusive 'big bucks'. Money does talk, but financial security in these days talks even louder.

I hope what you say is true. A Football career can be short, so bagging one on form this season will chase 'big bucks' for next season. if the decent ones are available.
Crimson Crust

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:06 pm

I think it's been a great season.
Little Shrimp

Return to General Discussion