Rotherham 3 Morecambe 2 O'Carroll, Bentley

Re: Rotherham 3 Morecambe 2 O'Carroll, Bentley

Postby sgt major » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 am

Had to agree with someone at the game last night who said that at 7.45pm we had everything to play for, Rotherham didnt. We didnt start out playing as if we had anything to bother about and really if we can get behind defences as for the first goal then why cant we do it from the off.

The big punt upfield on a massive pitch didnt help but later in the game we were unstoppable and played great footie on the deck - why oh why cant we do this throughout the game???

Rene was playing too deep for my liking, he is a striker yet he seemed to be setting up nearly everythng. Duffs played well but proved why he is still in the mentallity of Conf North when with the goal at his mercy he was tackled by a faster defender.

All in all a dissapointing night when we could have kept the play offs on the back burner by beating a team that when ran at looked mediocre.

Great effort from the fans in what can only be described as the most surreal football setting since I went to Gateshead in the Conference - even I thougt Gary Hunter had scored!!!!
sgt major

Postby Gnasher » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 am

even I thougt Gary Hunter had scored!!!!

Yes, that was one of the strangest chants I heard last night. Not as good as Far Far Away though :lol:
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby shrimper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm

sgt major wrote:Had to agree with someone at the game last night who said that at 7.45pm we had everything to play for, Rotherham didnt. We didnt start out playing as if we had anything to bother about and really if we can get behind defences as for the first goal then why cant we do it from the off.

The big punt upfield on a massive pitch didnt help but later in the game we were unstoppable and played great footie on the deck - why oh why cant we do this throughout the game???

Rene was playing too deep for my liking, he is a striker yet he seemed to be setting up nearly everythng. Duffs played well but proved why he is still in the mentallity of Conf North when with the goal at his mercy he was tackled by a faster defender.

All in all a dissapointing night when we could have kept the play offs on the back burner by beating a team that when ran at looked mediocre.

Great effort from the fans in what can only be described as the most surreal football setting since I went to Gateshead in the Conference - even I thougt Gary Hunter had scored!!!!

Think you're being a bit harsh, Mick. We were playing a top three side, remember (ignoring the deduction). For the first ten minutes they hardly got out of their half and were forced to defend in numbers as we started very positively.

Then they made a couple of breaks through Tonge and Reid, who looked to make chances for the excellent Ryan Taylor (who looked a superb prospect) and we were put on the back foot a bit. But the rest of the first half was reasonably even and we took the game to them. Then we bossed most of the second half when they again defended well and caught us on the break for their second goal.

Duffy is just finding his feet at this level and with his new club. Don't judge him too closely yet. He has looked better and more confident with every game and looks a good one to try to sign permanently next season. I thought he got better as the game went on, showing he's not finding the extra fitness levels in League Football a major problem.

Agree about the fans - the ground was awful for football but the acoustics for that section must have been good because the noise from our supporters rang around the place.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby SkinnyShrimp » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I agree Shrimper - he is definately one for the future and although he had very good opportunity to put us right back in it and was at fault for the cross that they scored thier first from, he is exciting and with more experience his confidence will grow and he could have a big impact next season.

I thought we should have gone on and won it last night as for a long spell in the second half it was one way traffic and if we had have gone ahead I don't think they would have come back at us and we would be going to Exeter full of hope. As it was the goal came against the run of play and was a real sickner considering how much we had got on top of them.

Roll on Saturday when hopefully we can burst the Grecians bubble and take 6 points from our final two games to leave us 1 short of the playoffs I fear - a fantatsic season when you look back at 2008's results - anything above 11th is a significant success this season.

Massive respect to Sammy and the Boy's - all should be very proud :D
SkinnyShrimp

Postby Curly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:a truly shocking referee.

Man of the match O'Carroll . Mark Duffy played well too but lost his man who then crossed for their first goal.

Near side liner was far worse :!:
just before there 2nd goal he was less than 3 yards away from a clear handball and if that free kick had been given they wouldn't have had the chance to break and get the 2nd goal.
We dominated the second half and were unlucky with the final score, but no sour grapes, we performed well, still have 2 games left, have improved on last season, and don't have the same financial problems as some other clubs, Rotherham certainly included.
Cheers to the friendly Rotherham stewards who made you feel welcome and even let us nip out for a smoke at half time.
Great night out despite the result, and a final thanks to "the morecambe sea lion" who happily chanted "you've only come to watch the morecambe" to the opposition fans, repeatedly, every time someone threw him a fish :lol:
Anyone for 1-2 for morecambe on saturday?
Just to make Paul Tisdales season complete and remind him of a great day out in London :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby redbull » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:12 pm

I thought we were outstanding in the second half. We attacked but what we did lack was the final ball. We don’t seem to get people in to the penalty box and when we do the final delivery is poor. Talking of poor thought twissy didn’t have a good game; Sammy should have replaced him earlier than he did.
Team performance I give us 8.5 out of 10

Definately would not pay 20 quid to go there every home game.should of took me binoculars..

[quote]Great night out despite the result, and a final thanks to "the morecambe sea lion" who happily chanted "you've only come to watch the morecambe" to the opposition fans, repeatedly, every time someone threw him a fish".

Poor lad was a Derby supporter and they aint had alot to shout about this season ...
Did any body see his mate he ate 6 Pukka pies in the first half...
redbull

Postby Curly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:05 pm

redbull wrote:I thought we were outstanding in the second half. We attacked but what we did lack was the final ball. We don’t seem to get people in to the penalty box and when we do the final delivery is poor. Talking of poor thought twissy didn’t have a good game; Sammy should have replaced him earlier than he did.
Team performance I give us 8.5 out of 10

Definately would not pay 20 quid to go there every home game.should of took me binoculars..

Great night out despite the result, and a final thanks to "the morecambe sea lion" who happily chanted "you've only come to watch the morecambe" to the opposition fans, repeatedly, every time someone threw him a fish".

Poor lad was a Derby supporter and they aint had alot to shout about this season ...
Did any body see his mate he ate 6 Pukka pies in the first half...

Good Effort!!!
If he spent £15 on pies, they should have had a waitress bring them to him on a tray :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Previous

Return to General Discussion