Hillsbrough remembered

Hillsbrough remembered

Postby Howe Magic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:53 pm

As a football supporter i would like to pass on my heart felt condolences to all the families who lost people 20 years ago - a very tragic day that i will never ever forget as long as i live
Howe Magic

Re: Hillsbrough remembered

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm

RIP to the 96
thegentlegiant

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Tragic loss of human life and a little bit of football died that day too.

It led to the creation of horrible, souless all-seaters and football as a product. Sadly it seems a sensible debate about safe standing can never be had without someone screeching the word 'Hillsborough' as their entire argument. This however is largely insignificant compared to the human tragedy of the day. Hopefully, now that we're no longer caged like animals at matches, nothing like this will happen again.
durhamshrimp

Postby cragbankshrimp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 pm

i remember it as if it was yesterday, watching everything unfold live on TV. It still reduced me to tears watching it again at the weekend.All the fans wanted to do was watch their team win and go to Wembley. RIP
"Accrington Stanley" Who are they??????????????
cragbankshrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Hopefully, now that we're no longer caged like animals at matches, nothing like this will happen again.

still like to see more terrace stands, hopefully behind the goals at our new ground, as long as fans are not caged in, there should be no problem with standing..
George Dawes

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 pm

DawZi wrote:
Hopefully, now that we're no longer caged like animals at matches, nothing like this will happen again.

still like to see more terrace stands, hopefully behind the goals at our new ground, as long as fans are not caged in, there should be no problem with standing..

Exactly, it wasn't standing that killed those people it was cages. If the cages weren't there they could have overflowed out on to the pitch with no crush. Some people however won't even entertain this debate and whenever a return of standing is mentioned will just put their hands over their ears and go 'Hillsborough, Hillsborough, Hillsborough!'
durhamshrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 pm

i tried saying this at the time but it was hard, you have to be sensitive at the same time aswell
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Tragic loss of human life and a little bit of football died that day too.

It led to the creation of horrible, souless all-seaters and football as a product. Sadly it seems a sensible debate about safe standing can never be had without someone screeching the word 'Hillsborough' as their entire argument. This however is largely insignificant compared to the human tragedy of the day. Hopefully, now that we're no longer caged like animals at matches, nothing like this will happen again.

I disagree about the terracing, at our level its safe enough with only a thousand or two max standing next to each other, in bigger stands with say 3-4thousand or more standing next to each other it only takes a last minute goal from say a 2-0 down comeback for chaos to happen. I remember the play-offs at Christie Park against Dagenham when we scored our 2nd and the whole stand plunged forward, imagine that with much more people in a bigger terraced stand and someone is bound to get hurt.
I'd say terracing is more better but in terms of safety and number should only be present in league 2 or lower.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Wednesdayite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm

cragbankshrimp wrote:i remember it as if it was yesterday, watching everything unfold live on TV. It still reduced me to tears watching it again at the weekend.All the fans wanted to do was watch their team win and go to Wembley. RIP

I was there..worked on the turnstiles for over a decade. My grandmother kept press cuttings of me on the fences pulling people out for years. Was on the pitch giving cpr and carried bodies to the sportshall.

I was 21 at the time and it feels like it was yesterday, it never leaves you. As a father myself now, god only knows how those parents must feel. R.I.P to the 96 and my thoughts and prayers to anyone else who was there on that day and carries those memories still.

Its been a long old week.......
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby campdave » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:12 pm

ezz wrote:I disagree about the terracing, at our level its safe enough with only a thousand or two max standing next to each other, in bigger stands with say 3-4thousand or more standing next to each other it only takes a last minute goal from say a 2-0 down comeback for chaos to happen. I remember the play-offs at Christie Park against Dagenham when we scored our 2nd and the whole stand plunged forward, imagine that with much more people in a bigger terraced stand and someone is bound to get hurt.
I'd say terracing is more better but in terms of safety and number should only be present in league 2 or lower.

Rubbish. There is a 25,000 capacity terrace at Borrussia Dortmund, and terraces with capacity over 10,000 all over Germany being used without problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6458843.stm

I believe the terrace at Dortmund is divided into areas to stop the problem of surging.
campdave

Postby Duffman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:23 pm

campdave wrote:
ezz wrote:I disagree about the terracing, at our level its safe enough with only a thousand or two max standing next to each other, in bigger stands with say 3-4thousand or more standing next to each other it only takes a last minute goal from say a 2-0 down comeback for chaos to happen. I remember the play-offs at Christie Park against Dagenham when we scored our 2nd and the whole stand plunged forward, imagine that with much more people in a bigger terraced stand and someone is bound to get hurt.

Rubbish. There is a 25,000 capacity terrace at Borrussia Dortmund, and terraces with capacity over 10,000 all over Germany being used without problems.

I believe the terrace at Dortmund is divided into areas to stop the problem of surging.

Germany has shown that it can be done and be done safely. However due to the tragedy at Hillsbrough I can't see this happening in this country for a long time. I'm personally all for terracing but its surprising how many people my age (22) prefer seating to standing (these people support prem/championship teams).
Duffman

Postby ezz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm

campdave wrote:

That might be true, I dont like seats anymore than the next terraced lover but my point was the chances of people being hurt are definately increased without seating. As said previously it was the cages that caused the damage and the problems that led to the Hillsborough tragedy, but as I said it would only take one of those incredible moments with thousands of couple standing together for accidents to happen. Just because Dortmund have successfully had terracing doesn't mean it will be successful everywhere, each country has its own footballing culture.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion