Negative Shrimper

Re: Negative Shrimper

Postby wijit » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:13 pm

Bingo!
wijit

Postby skyecat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 pm

there are a lot of tough decisions to be made all through the game and the season and who knows what Sammy`s reasons were for not bringing the subs on earlier.
I wasn`t at the game unfortunately and it`s looking like I won`t be able to get to many more before the end of the season either, but one train of thought could be a la Man U v Liverpool and then Fulham v Man U - the way Liverpool played - did it open up the minds of a few other teams as to how to maybe get a result against Man U and unsettle them? - i`m not sure - but who would have put Fulham down as winning... ergo, if Morecambe go to show how you can contain Shrewsbury and gain a notoriously difficult point away, then maybe, just maybe, those games will play into our hands?
Like I`ve said before, I`m no expert, but it`s a thought.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby shrimper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 am

Sammy has also made the point (today's Visitor) that we may have been susceptible at set-pieces (and Shrews were forcing a few) if we lost height by putting on Duffy. Fair point.

As I say, no criticism at all, just discussion. He's the man and I trust him to do what's right.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Shrimpsscene » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:16 am

if you want to keep the debate going
seem to remember Carl Baker's best performances were at home last season
cant remember too many highlights on the road from him
the way we played last season away from home perhaps wasnt ideally suited to a flair player like Duffy/Baker if you see what i mean mind you that didnt stop thommo playing well but he had more experience of how the team played?
perhaps Duffy is one to bring on at home and let him develop from there let his confidence grow and hopefully make his mark when we can attack teams away from home when the time is right in a game?
look forward to hearing sammys thoughts
was an excellent point on saturday
fingers crossed we can get three on saturday
Shrimpsscene

Postby Bryan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Best defensive display of the season or maybe even since we joined the League. It's an area we've imporved massively in recently and that's why we are unbeaten in twelve. Don't think Sammy wanted to risk altering the shape of the team and bring on someone inexperienced at this level like Duffy (remeber Michael Carr?). Howe was knackered but he was holding the ball up so well and linking up play that Sammy just thought lets settle for the point and if we can steal it then all well and good. Considering their home record it was a great clean sheet. I think we will have to gamble at some point but it's worth remebering the Shrews have scored a lot of late goals this season. Home games are where we should be gambling more but with games running out i expect to see a bit of away as well.
Bryan

Postby shrimper » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Some good points Bryan. Interesting debate.

I think the 'late goals' and vulnerability at set-pieces issues probably swung it.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Shrimper, do you now think that you would have not made any substitutions at Shrewsbury?
Or do you stand by your original thought that you would have "gone for it" ?
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby shrimper » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:12 pm

On a very personal level I still think I'd have 'gone for it'.

But I accept all the points made against that viewpoint (which is all it is) and - most importantly - that I'm a 'know nothing' punter and Sammy knows more about every aspect of football than I ever could.
shrimper

Postby Posh » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:02 pm

shrimper wrote:On a very personal level I still think I'd have 'gone for it'.

But I accept all the points made against that viewpoint (which is all it is) and - most importantly - that I'm a 'know nothing' punter and Sammy knows more about every aspect of football than I ever could.

Yeah! You're right Shrimper! Sammy's a big chicken with severe wuss tendencies.

;)
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion