Time for more action?

Time for more action?

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:55 am

The continuing saga of the ownership and the poor start to the season that could relegate us from the EFL makes me wonder if it’s time for shrimp fans to take action before it’s all too late. Our league status was hard earned and the lies of the owner bring our club and league status to the brink of disaster. I wonder if it’s time for the Trust to call another public meeting to see what ideas members have to try and do something about the shambles. Imo doing nothing and watching our club destroyed is not an option. What can we do???
fulwoodshrimp

Re: Time for more action?

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:32 am

It has gone very quiet. Not enough pressure being put on the owner and momentum gained by the fund raiser has died off. We are sat on our hands again.
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:53 am

Yes, whoever this person/group is that clearly can't get EFL approval should be kicked out of touch so a genuine buyer can come forward.
Coming up to 3 years now.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby lancaster shrimp » Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:05 am

Has anyone on Twitter seen a certain post by a fan who never missed a game in countless years? Sad to read but I'm sure many feel the same.
lancaster shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:22 am

lancaster shrimp wrote:Has anyone on Twitter seen a certain post by a fan who never missed a game in countless years? Sad to read but I'm sure many feel the same.

Not seen the post, but there is definitely more than one. Interest is waining in many departments particularly for away games, cost being a big slice of that
marky No.1

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:51 am

I thought Morecambe’s first game of the season would have attracted a bigger gate, now after our third defeat I expect those who pay on the day to stay away in even more numbers. The apathy of the supporters with the on going ownership saga is really taking hold, season ticket holders seem to be not bothered if they miss a game!! I expect gates to fall if double whammy of losing and JW’s tenure as owner continues.

Time for action? I don’t think anything the fans do will have any effect on JW’s mindset.

What are the options?

Keep turning up and hope DA sorts out the goal drought and we start picking up the necessary points to stay in the League.

Protests don’t work as we found out, take them into the stadium, a complete no no, point deductions, relegation one big step closer!! Is that the option anyone wants?

So the only option is to go nuclear and we as supporters stay away in droves on match day, driving income way way down. I’m not knocking the protest along the prom but the take up would not be enough, we are in a hell of a corner.

I agree the club is being destroyed unfortunately I have come round to the sum of all my thoughts on this subject, that the answer is that is what JW wants and in the mean time Morecambe FC supply’s him with an income. :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
Billy bodger

Postby black morse » Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:11 am

At least 3 weeks since we heard that relevant papers were with EFL. I can't believe that EFL would hang about knowing the state we are in so that would point to problems with the papers again. :twisted:

I wonder if the 'other party' that spoke with The Trust earlier are still there? I think that is our main hope!

Whatever the case, talk about likely relegation is premature. We aren't playing badly or getting trounced and we still have Derek. Worrying and infuriating it is but we aren't doomed yet.

Oh, and more demonstrations will get us nowhere unless they are outside Jason's residence....and that would certainly get us publicity but might get us into trouble with the law.
black morse

Postby al1 » Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:22 am

The home crowd was boosted by 200 or so freebies in the away end for the Gillingham game.Also away travel and ticket prices are having a big effect on numbers travelling!And some clubs higher up the pyramid are starting to do away with concession prices for kids and OAPS which eventually will filter lower down the leagues! I believe the 'Sardines' coach has ceased going to away games unfortunately!
al1

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:32 am

marky No.1 wrote:Not seen the post, but there is definitely more than one. Interest is waining in many departments particularly for away games, cost being a big slice of that

The reliability of public transport, particularly trains, is a big turn-off.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:46 am

Billy bodger wrote:I thought Morecambe’s first game of the season would have attracted a bigger gate, now after our third defeat I expect those who pay on the day to stay away in even more numbers. The apathy of the supporters with the on going ownership saga is really taking hold, season ticket holders seem to be not bothered if they miss a game!! I expect gates to fall if double whammy of losing and JW’s tenure as owner continues.

Time for action? I don’t think anything the fans do will have any effect on JW’s mindset.

What are the options?

Keep turning up and hope DA sorts out the goal drought and we start picking up the necessary points to stay in the League.

Protests don’t work as we found out, take them into the stadium, a complete no no, point deductions, relegation one big step closer!! Is that the option anyone wants?

So the only option is to go nuclear and we as supporters stay away in droves on match day, driving income way way down. I’m not knocking the protest along the prom but the take up would not be enough, we are in a hell of a corner.

I agree the club is being destroyed unfortunately I have come round to the sum of all my thoughts on this subject, that the answer is that is what JW wants and in the mean time Morecambe FC supply’s him with an income. :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Are you being serious :evil: ....'cause if you are that will certainly do more harm to OUR club in terms of financing DA to build a team that we all can support.

Jason couldn't give a flying fig about demos of whatever kind as (and I repeat myself yet again) Jason will continue to put the minimum amount of money into the club and charge an extortionate rate of interest that OUR club and its BoDs will have to repay. So he wins all ways up.

As fans we have a duty to remain loyal to OUR club in the hope that sooner or later a buyer will be found who is prepared to back OUR club as happens at numerous other clubs in EFL2.
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:08 am

Billy is right, as long as Jason is able to profit from the club he won't go anywhere. I don't think some people are grasping how he uses the good work of a lot of people(some unpaid) to make money. We got to league 1, the 3rd round of the FA Cup twice and sold some highly rated youngsters and only one person made money on this. He is a parasite feeding on the club, bleeding it dry.

Please try and understand what he is doing and how he does it. When you understand that you will see that the only way to get rid of him is to stop the flow of money. On a much smaller scale, it is similar to what the Glazers do at Man Utd.
BerlinWaller

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:28 am

redrobo wrote:
Billy bodger wrote:I thought Morecambe’s first game of the season would have attracted a bigger gate, now after our third defeat I expect those who pay on the day to stay away in even more numbers. The apathy of the supporters with the on going ownership saga is really taking hold, season ticket holders seem to be not bothered if they miss a game!! I expect gates to fall if double whammy of losing and JW’s tenure as owner continues.

What are the options?

Are you being serious :evil: ....'cause if you are that will certainly do more harm to OUR club in terms of financing DA to build a team that we all can support.

Jason couldn't give a flying fig about demos of whatever kind as (and I repeat myself yet again) Jason will continue to put the minimum amount of money into the club and charge an extortionate rate of interest that OUR club and its BoDs will have to repay. So he wins all ways up.

As fans we have a duty to remain loyal to OUR club in the hope that sooner or later a buyer will be found who is prepared to back OUR club as happens at numerous other clubs in EFL2.

Redrobo; Calm down, calm down. I was putting forward options, not directing what we should do?

I do however concede that if I had put the word “is” in my sentence it would read very much better, as in after mentioning other options, I actually put; “So ‘is’ the only other option to go nuclear……………”.

I would have hoped you understood with what I had put that I also believe JW isn’t bothered on bit about Morecambe FC. My post was more conservative and definitely along your lines than you appear to understand.

I will be continuing to go to all games both home and some away because whatever happens, happens.

I hope everyone continues to go and watch the team JW is the problem, full bloody stop.
Billy bodger

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:02 pm

Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Not seen the post, but there is definitely more than one. Interest is waining in many departments particularly for away games, cost being a big slice of that

Yes I've probably had more train refunds this year than not.
Half an hour late on friday cos of trees on the track.
Prices are going up and the staff have been given their rise, but guess what they are still going on strike
marky No.1

Postby mfc8 » Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:43 pm

Seen a valuation c£5m based on recent small share transaction, but also seen lower valuations.
Any views on what figure might tempt owner to sell up ?
mfc8

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:14 pm

Live games today in Premier League
Bournemouth v Newcastle
Liverpool v Brentford

Not that long ago we were playing these in L2

Seems a lifetime now, :cry:
marky No.1

Postby John L » Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:05 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Half an hour late on friday cos of trees on the track.

Serves you right for going down a branch line!
John L

Postby black morse » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:28 am

Reading has been fined £7.500 with half of that suspended until the end of the season for the pitch invasion protest which caused the match to be cancelled. Seems rather lenient to me! I'm not suggesting we should do the same.....just saying!
black morse

Postby John L » Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:35 pm

black morse wrote:Reading has been fined £7.500 with half of that suspended until the end of the season for the pitch invasion protest which caused the match to be cancelled. Seems rather lenient to me! I'm not suggesting we should do the same.....just saying!

Anyone who seriously thinks a pitch invasion is a good idea should probably raise that sort of money beforehand to try and mitigate against the club that we support from taking the ultimate hit.

Better still, stay off the pitch!
John L

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:12 am

Time for more action?

Simple answer, no, not yet.

I can't think of any action that will not damage the club more than help it. Not spending money at the club, or even worse, not turning up, damages the club before it damages Whittingham. The Board must be close to wits end, trying to keep the club in the EFL while blindfolded and one arm tied behind their back. Making it even more difficult for them could result in them walking before Whittingham does.

If by January, we're mired at the bottom of the table, and relegation is looking a dead cert, with Whittingham still screwing us over, then boycotts & vocal demonstrations, so that the money dries up, and making it clear that Season Tickets won't be renewed etc, will either force him out, or welcome Administration, to get rid of him.

But at the moment, I think we need to keep supporting the club, and the Board.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:35 am

Keith wrote:Time for more action?

Simple answer, no, not yet.

I can't think of any action that will not damage the club more than help it. Not spending money at the club, or even worse, not turning up, damages the club before it damages Whittingham. The Board must be close to wits end, trying to keep the club in the EFL while blindfolded and one arm tied behind their back. Making it even more difficult for them could result in them walking before Whittingham does.

If by January, we're mired at the bottom of the table, and relegation is looking a dead cert, with Whittingham still screwing us over, then boycotts & vocal demonstrations, so that the money dries up, and making it clear that Season Tickets won't be renewed etc, will either force him out, or welcome Administration, to get rid of him.

But at the moment, I think we need to keep supporting the club, and the Board.

Well said! However if later in the season we consider taking the nuclear options mentioned, I would like to think that some form of direction could be communicated to us from the board about their preferred actions from the fan base. Just not sure how they would do that because it's a very delicate situation. At the end of the day if some or all of the directors are still here they will probably have to oversee a clear up of the wreckage left behind. They love the club as much (if not more) than we do so I would hate to take any actions against their wishes. They will no doubt know what's best for the future of the club going forward. Whatever happens we will hopefully never die as per Worcester Warriors or several football clubs have in the recent past.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:04 am

Hypothetical of course, all the scenarios that I and others have put forward on the Clubs problems but the scenario put forward by Phoenix Shrimp 2017 is an interesting one.

I would hope DA has got the team well on the way to picking up the required points by Jan 2025 to give us enough certainty that we would stay in the League. That’s the most important thing, if JW is still around, well he’s still around!!! :twisted: :twisted:

What if Phoenix Shrimp’s scenario comes to pass? Is that the time to go for a nuclear option to force administration to get rid of JW? Well it would be a point where a Club like Morecambe FC may well not be able to survive, so it would damage the Club more than JW. Would there be enough support for it? I don’t think there would if it just the fans, people will walk away people will stay loyal.

I go back to where we were last year and the BOD’s statements especially about its direction under the ownership of the Club by JW. At the time I said the BOD’s could lead on this by waking away. I don’t think that is in their DNA, they are fans and do a fantastic job and are probably a large reason (only), Morecambe FC are still in the League this season. Without them the threat of going under would have been a real prospect.

Would being in the position of near certainty of relegation in January make them walk, i don’t think so, but how much more can they do that they are not already doing. If the leech is still strangling our Club it is hoped they and us give up on the Club. If they stay we should stay, think how dreadful this has been for them if we all think it’s diabolical situation JW has put us in.
Billy bodger

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:08 am

Billy bodger wrote:Hypothetical of course, all the scenarios that I and others have put forward on the Clubs problems but the scenario put forward by Phoenix Shrimp 2017 is an interesting one.

I would hope DA has got the team well on the way to picking up the required points by Jan 2025 to give us enough certainty that we would stay in the League. That’s the most important thing, if JW is still around, well he’s still around!!! :twisted: :twisted:

What if Phoenix Shrimp’s scenario comes to pass? Is that the time to go for a nuclear option to force administration to get rid of JW? Well it would be a point where a Club like Morecambe FC may well not be able to survive, so it would damage the Club more than JW. Would there be enough support for it? I don’t think there would if it just the fans, people will walk away people will stay loyal.

I go back to where we were last year and the BOD’s statements especially about its direction under the ownership of the Club by JW. At the time I said the BOD’s could lead on this by waking away. I don’t think that is in their DNA, they are fans and do a fantastic job and are probably a large reason (only), Morecambe FC are still in the League this season. Without them the threat of going under would have been a real prospect.

Would being in the position of near certainty of relegation in January make them walk, i don’t think so, but how much more can they do that they are not already doing. If the leech is still strangling our Club it is hoped they and us give up on the Club. If they stay we should stay, think how dreadful this has been for them if we all think it’s diabolical situation JW has put us in.

I’ve quickly re read what I put of course it should read ‘ it is hoped they and us DON’T give up on the Club’
Sorry, I can just see the red rage in some of you out there.
Billy bodger

Postby KenH » Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:23 pm

I'm sure the directors will have a plan as to what their end-game will be if the club looks to be heading for relegation and/or administration.

I'd like to think they'd be able to join the Shrimps Trust, and maybe even take it over (subject to existing Trust members welcoming them on board), so that they have a vehicle to be influential with potentially buying the club back from administrators, negotiating with the EFL, etc., depending upon what scenario the club finds itself in.

I have to hope that the board members and the trust committee are on good terms and are at least having "off the records" meetings and discussions in the background even if they are prevented from openly talking in public about the current situation and future plans etc.

I can see the Trust becoming more and more important in the coming months and years, and it will be a much stronger Trust with our current Board members as part of it!
KenH

Postby John L » Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:31 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:

Yes I've probably had more train refunds this year than not.
Half an hour late on friday cos of trees on the track.
Prices are going up and the staff have been given their rise, but guess what they are still going on strike

Thankfully the strikes at the train company concerned have now been called off...
https://aslef.org.uk/news/lner-strike-action-suspended
John L

Return to General Discussion