Rod on Radio Lancashire

Rod on Radio Lancashire

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 03, 2024 6:53 pm

There is a 33 minute interview with Rod on Radio Lancashire's Sport twitter.

One of the anoraks may be able to put a link on here. Very interesting listening.
Gone_Shrimping

Re: Rod on Radio Lancashire

Postby Hodgie1978 » Fri May 03, 2024 7:19 pm

Hodgie1978

Postby Born again Bill » Fri May 03, 2024 8:12 pm

Thanks Rod , I think that’s all the fans were wanting .. an honest appraisal of where we are !
So basically we need to trade in our welly’s for waders as it’s getting deeper day by day :cry:
Born again Bill

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:13 pm

Fantastic honesty as normal from Rod

Really sounds like we are in massive massive trouble though
Redalert1970

Postby P/T Indie » Fri May 03, 2024 9:21 pm

The board won't sign off on a budget as all directors need to put their name to it and send it to the EFL.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Billy bodger » Fri May 03, 2024 10:22 pm

Wow Rod, that’s an interview and a half.

I would agree, all in all we are not a bad buy and could be a great buy, but without that man doing what he says he wants to do, it’s not going to happen.

If it doesn’t happen the next big problem will probably be the payment of wages on the 28th of May.

It good to hear there is a lot of interest in the managers job, we will see who we get. The lifting of the embargo seems a priority and so it should be.

That a few contracts have gone to the EFL is interesting (so some players want to stay!), we wait on that one. Promotion of some sort of the young lads might be down to the new manager. But if all that ends up good it’s a number to then add too with the players the new manager brings in. (109 released from league two up to today, all now looking for work).

From what Rod said the season ticket sales seem to be not as bad as was expected and he seemed satisfied with that.

If the BOD’s won’t sign off, for what ever reason, what does that mean? Is it something that puts pressure on Jason to sell?

It’s delicate situation and as I have said good look to the board with everything the have to do to keep the club going, but the prospect of Morecambe FC going into administration, I think from what Rod has said in the interview, is a real possibility.

Comparing us to Clubs that have gone out of the league is a worry and going into administration and starting on -12 next season just to get rid of Jason may happen, that is my big big concern and Rod again was warning, that may well happen to us.

There are positives there and that’s what needs to be taken out of the interview, there is a path out of this mess, but the route is being drawn on the map by Jason.
Billy bodger

Postby Angler1 » Sat May 04, 2024 8:34 am

That was a very honest and open opinion of the club and were we are right now. I just hope the club can be sound ASAP..
Angler1

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sat May 04, 2024 9:16 am

Sadly everything is in Jason's hands.
The club has been for sale for over 2 years, does anyone believe that something is going to change soon?

Good news that the tax issue sounds like it could be sorted.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby Keith » Sat May 04, 2024 9:21 am

An excellent interview, although Rod neatly sidestepped the question about the value of the club. With footwork like that, he may need to bring his boots next season! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Sat May 04, 2024 9:27 am

Keith wrote:An excellent interview, although Rod neatly sidestepped the question about the value of the club. With footwork like that, he may need to bring his boots next season! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can all put our own value on the club but the only person whose valuation matters is bugger lugs'. The real value of the club, as with everything, is what someone will pay for it at the time
black morse

Postby sandgrown » Sat May 04, 2024 10:59 am

Thanks Rod excellent interview, embargo the first hurdle to climb !
sandgrown

Postby black morse » Sat May 04, 2024 11:21 am

Can't get twitter. Did Rod say anything about the amount of VAT owing?
black morse

Postby Keith » Sat May 04, 2024 11:24 am

black morse wrote:Can't get twitter. Did Rod say anything about the amount of VAT owing?

Basically, it is our responsibility, but it wasn't our cock-up.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby KenH » Sat May 04, 2024 11:32 am

Keith wrote:An excellent interview, although Rod neatly sidestepped the question about the value of the club. With footwork like that, he may need to bring his boots next season! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no correct "value of the business". It's subjective according to the needs/views/plans of the buyer and seller. A business isn't like a house where there are numerous other houses sold in the same vicinity upon which to gauge a realistic "value".

When it comes to business, a buyer will factor in the costs of borrowings or opportunity cost of spending savings, their personal tax position, their plans for business development, how it dovetails with other businesses they have, etc.

I've had different clients with VERY similar businesses who've bought/sold at widely differing prices, and when I say "widely", I mean it's pretty common for someone to buy/sell at 50% less than what would appear to be an identical business (as far as that's possible) or twice or three times the value as an identical business. Those differences simply because of tax aspects, dovetailing (economies of scale or collaboration etc)., or even just someone wanting to get rid of competition!!

The club may be "worth" a million to person A or ten million to person B, and that price may be "right" for the circumstances of both persona A and person B, according to their position, plans, etc.

Then there's a whole raft of other issues, such as whether the buyer is paying "cash", i.e. outright purchase, or wants some kind of buy-out, i.e. paying by instalments over several months/years either fixed amounts or variable according to future revenue/profitability etc., or even a "paper" swap where the seller is offered shares (or other paper) in the business of the purchaser.

It all gets horrendously complicated, especially where "big" money and other businesses are involved, which is almost certainly the case with potential buyers of MFC.
KenH

Postby John L » Sat May 04, 2024 2:49 pm

black morse wrote:Can't get twitter. Did Rod say anything about the amount of VAT owing?

Have you tried the link? I don't have a Twitter account but the link opens and the video plays for me.
John L

Postby black morse » Sat May 04, 2024 3:24 pm

John L wrote:

Have you tried the link? I don't have a Twitter account but the link opens and the video plays for me.

Hi Keith
I have tried the link but I get a page saying "your account has been locked" It goes on to say I must identify myself and as I don't have a twitter account I am very reluctant to do that!
black morse

Postby redrobo » Sat May 04, 2024 4:36 pm

To Rod
Thank you for your honesty in the current very difficult circumstances.

It must have been hard to have been as open as you could be so I for one thank you for explaining as best you can where our club is at the moment.

Hopefully in the coming weeks news on the Embargo and the Sale of our club will provide much needed relief.

Thank you.

Neil R
redrobo

Postby Wild Bill » Sat May 04, 2024 7:15 pm

Brilliant stuff Rod. Some real hits to what's going on behind the scenes too.

Sounds like there is actually a local consortium and the board are putting real pressure on Jason to just take what's available and sell up. The alternative for him is either continuing to finance the shortfalls with money he doesn't actually have and the very real possibility that the remaining board of volunteers walk.

Fingers crossed there's light now at the end of the tunnel. By repeating that it cannot continue into another season sounds to me that Jason has a decision to make.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun May 05, 2024 3:23 am

But the thing is will he make the right choice

Hopefully he does and a local consortium takes over

Wonder if the local consortium contains a certain boxer ????
Redalert1970

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 am

Any local consortium would obviously want to factor in large losses that will be made over at least the next 2 years or so whatever the purchase price, the club is losing a large sum annually and that needs changing.

Jason obviously isn't stupid and will fully realise that as long as he owns it he has to prop it up.

I would say a sensible price would be 1 million , with up to 8 directors putting in an equal share , expecting to put in the same again to cover annual losses/ improvements.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby P/T Indie » Sun May 05, 2024 8:03 am

The problem with the local consortium is that I doubt there will be any extra income to splash about. Yes we have stability but I think it could mean having to live within our means at a lower level.

P/T Indie

Postby black morse » Sun May 05, 2024 8:49 am

P/T Indie wrote:The problem with the local consortium is that I doubt there will be any extra income to splash about. Yes we have stability but I think it could mean having to live within our means at a lower level.

And there we have the problem with modern day football. No one is satisfied with 'living within their means'. I'd rather have a club live within it's means than gamble and end up with no club at all.
black morse

Postby Billy bodger » Sun May 05, 2024 9:01 am

The conundrum of a local consortium take over? Will they be able to put up a package that will?

This is what they need to do, pronto.

Firstly, get rid of Jason by getting him to accept their offer. (Even if they go a little bit over what they have in mind), within the next few weeks.

Secondly, if successful put together a package that will be able to put together funding that will help the new manager raise as strong as possible squad, year on year.

Thirdly, stabilise the financial situation at the Club with yearly funding by them that makes up what is raised through all income steams to a workable level.

Fourthly, Make changes to the ownership of the Club by bringing in Fan ownership, by giving up shares so the fans can acquire a democratically ownership of the Club by having 51% of shares and voting rights. (I would call it a Fans Co-operative). This is then an opportunity to get back some of the money they put up to purchase the Club

Lastly, work through from day one to clear up A.S.A.P. the embargo fiasco as soon as possible.

A local consortium taking over would be great for the Club as well as the area, but I fear Jason is still hoping to find someone who will pay well over the odds. Look what happened to Worcester Warriors! While he searches, it seems he has not learned anything or can see his asset is being driven down into the vortex of the swirling problems that have blown Morecambe FC’s way by his ownership. The price people are willing to pay is I would think is dropping and we are stuck with him I’m afraid.

So that fear is the sale of the Club will drag on for sometime yet and I am horrified at the prospects of what that would mean. Rod did talk about the consequences of carrying on as we are, how similar situations have dragged teams out of the EFL.

Will it all come to ahead on the 28th May if Jason still owns the Club? (another fiasco surrounding wages?) Rod indicated a deal can be done quite quickly so we wait, anxiously.

WE ARE IN PERILOUS TIMES, INDEED.
Billy bodger

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun May 05, 2024 10:03 am

A very good and much needed interview from Rod. It is what we needed to hear from one of the men in the know.

I thought it was well balanced, he pointed out the dire need for a new owner but got the point about it being a solid club to buy across well.
BerlinWaller

Postby P/T Indie » Sun May 05, 2024 10:14 am

black morse wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:The problem with the local consortium is that I doubt there will be any extra income to splash about. Yes we have stability but I think it could mean having to live within our means at a lower level.

And there we have the problem with modern day football. No one is satisfied with 'living within their means'. I'd rather have a club live within it's means than gamble and end up with no club at all.

I have no issue having stability and been a mid table national league team. However I'm doubt all the new fans would agree who have only known league football.

We have always lived beyond our means we go on about other clubs splashing the cash but remb PMG used to write off losses of 250k a year to get us out the conference.

P/T Indie

Next

Return to General Discussion