Next manager ...

Re: Next manager ...

Postby Redalert1970 » Thu May 02, 2024 4:53 pm

Gary Bowyer would be a good manager but could ask too much wage wise

Would certainly have contacts to put a team together on a budget
Redalert1970

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu May 02, 2024 6:04 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Gary Bowyer would be a good manager but could ask too much wage wise

Would certainly have contacts to put a team together on a budget

No thanks.

He will never have worked with a budget like ours !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Thu May 02, 2024 7:08 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Why would the manager of Altrincham leave to come to us right now unless he got guarantees

Why would any manager, currently employed anywhere, come to us? Unless things change quickly, then I reckon we can only look towards unemployed managers. Would Derek or John Coleman want to take a punt, just to get back into the game? Or, would they both avoid us while we're a basket case?

There will be someone out there who is up for the challenge, but my expectation is someone with almost no management experience. What about a player/manager? When Stuart Moore was on iFollow, he was talking about a first team player who he thought would become a good manager when the time comes, based upon how he is in training, bringing on other players etcetera. Trouble is, I can't remember who! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Thu May 02, 2024 7:54 pm

Wonder if Songo is a manager in the making. I have noticed after warm ups before a game he goes to each team mate and gives them encouragement. He seems to have a special relationship with the other players. Was it him Moore was talking about?
fulwoodshrimp

Postby John L » Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 pm

Is Fitzy still with us? He as Coley's no.2 would do for me if JC is willing to take us on, at least for this coming season.
John L

Postby Keith » Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm

fulwoodshrimp wrote:Wonder if Songo is a manager in the making. I have noticed after warm ups before a game he goes to each team mate and gives them encouragement. He seems to have a special relationship with the other players. Was it him Moore was talking about?

He's who was in my mind, but I wasn't sure. If he was offered player/manager, it may work, assuming he has the relevant coaching qualifications?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby al1 » Fri May 03, 2024 7:28 am

Can anyone name me a successful 'first time' football manager? I cannot think of any myself,we need an experienced manager in place who has good contacts throughout the game.Employing from within has been poor in the past at the club.Just saying!
al1

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 03, 2024 7:40 am

al1 wrote:Can anyone name me a successful 'first time' football manager? I cannot think of any myself,we need an experienced manager in place who has good contacts throughout the game.Employing from within has been poor in the past at the club.Just saying!

I believe the directors know who they want as the next manager and have probably had discussions with him. Otherwise we would have advertised the position or at least invited applications.

I think things are going on in the background and something should happen sooner rather than later.

Definitely we do not want another "first time" football manager :o :o

Interesting we have over 300 viewers online looking at Shrimpsvoices which is much higher than normal.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:12 am

al1 wrote:Can anyone name me a successful 'first time' football manager? I cannot think of any myself

Sir Alex Ferguson did ok in his first role as manager of Aberdeen FC leading them to European glory. ;)
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 03, 2024 8:25 am

Seasider9601 wrote:
al1 wrote:Can anyone name me a successful 'first time' football manager? I cannot think of any myself

Sir Alex Ferguson did ok in his first role as manager of Aberdeen FC leading them to European glory. ;)

Sir Alex was sacked from his first job before he went to Aberdeen. I think he was at St Mirren.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Billy bodger » Fri May 03, 2024 8:29 am

I agree with the scenario that something is going on behind the scenes, ( why wouldn’t it be?). The Club have not advertised for a new manager, yet. So yes probably in talks with who ever they have in mind
(I would think it is someone known to them, personally!!!) if that is how it’s panning out. Fri a good day to announce something, if not, I would expect next week. If that is happening and falls through probably a selection process, which would have to be quick. Maybe they could contact some of the 50 or so who was supposed to have applied when they give the job to Ged.

While JW is, (and I hate saying this), still the owner I hope he agrees a budget that the BOD,s and a new manager can work too. I also hope the BOD’s can make him realise he is not going to get near his valuation, (oh it’s raining hippo’s!!).

Good luck to the BOD’s with all of that, they will need it.

Anybody any idea how season tickets sales are going? I’ve counted 543 sets taken by last night,
(is that sad?). No idea about the Halo or the Berlin Wall. Hopefully thou the majority of fans have put their trust in the fact Morecambe FC can field a team next season, without a massive minus points start. In these circumstances somewhere around the 2,000 season ticket holders mark would not be to significant, under 1,500 would be a disappointing drop off.
Billy bodger

Postby marky No.1 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:30 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Sir Alex was sacked from his first job before he went to Aberdeen. I think he was at St Mirren.

...and East Stirling before St Mirren 8-)

Over 100 logged on at 9.30am, must be expecting something
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 03, 2024 8:50 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:Sir Alex was sacked from his first job before he went to Aberdeen. I think he was at St Mirren.

Sir Alex was part time at East Stirling on £40 per week. Times have certainly changed in respect of the pay !

I think the point is he served quite a long apprenticeship before he had great success with Aberdeen.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:56 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:

Sir Alex was sacked from his first job before he went to Aberdeen. I think he was at St Mirren.

Ah, forgot that. :oops:

Apologies.
Seasider9601

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Fri May 03, 2024 9:20 am

Kieran McKenna hasn't made a bad start to his managerial career!!
fulwoodshrimp

Postby vvm » Fri May 03, 2024 9:21 am

al1 wrote:Can anyone name me a successful 'first time' football manager? I cannot think of any myself,we need an experienced manager in place who has good contacts throughout the game.Employing from within has been poor in the past at the club.Just saying!

John Mousinho has won league one with Portsmouth in his first managerial job and first full season.
vvm

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri May 03, 2024 9:43 am

marky No.1 wrote:

There was a record 340 people online this morning at either 5.42 am or 6.42 am. At that time of day it suggests they were mainly looking in from the East. Too early for the UK !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Fri May 03, 2024 9:47 am

Wonder if any of them are potential investors who own an airline business..... :o with a bit of spare change they fancy a bit of aflutter with.

We don't want much just a couple of millions every close season to supplement our season ticket revenue.
redrobo

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:56 am

On this very day back in 1997, this happened.

Two clubs, only one of them can survive in the FL.

What a turn around for Brighton since then.....

Our good times COULD be just around the corner with the right investment (and ******* quickly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1NBOkHZ99U
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:57 am

130 users online ............. :o

Its going up.
Seasider9601

Postby Billy bodger » Fri May 03, 2024 10:40 am

Or they are just riveted to the fans analysis of the clubs situation!

Oh and if one is a rich person from the east and you like shrimps and want to own a football club, come and buy the SHRIMPS.
Billy bodger

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri May 03, 2024 12:58 pm

Well...Derek Adams for a start! :lol:

Could name plenty. In fact, most current managers probably had success/progress in their first roles - it's why they're still managing to this day!

I think a better way to phrase it would be - what percentage of first time managers are a success and go on to have a solid career?

I think it's also fair to say that places where first time managers have succeeded recently have been clubs where there's a stable backdrop for them to develop their ideas and teams. Just looking across L1/L2 in recent years - you have Kieran McKenna, John Mousinho and Mark Bonner who've all achieved great things with their respective clubs, who are pretty settled and/or well backed behind the scenes. Even situations like Lee Bell at Crewe, who haven't had immediate success due to him being appointed when they were all but relegated but have still seen progress/success in time due to them being a bit more stable behind the scenes. This is despite a limited budget.

There are plenty of people out there who could go on to make good managers, and I think Ged is one of them, but the current situation at the club is a particularly bad environment for helping first time managers with potential blossom.

The sale needs sorting first, after that we can look at the situation and start thinking about who our next manager might be.
Little Shrimp

Postby shrimpsontoast » Fri May 03, 2024 2:22 pm

Have you got inside information on a sale process little shrimp? Unfortunately the powers that be won’t delay the start of the new season until a sale has gone through, so I don’t think it would be especially prudent to address these matters sequentially as you propose. It will be all hands to the pump on all fronts, I’m sure.
shrimpsontoast

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:Have you got inside information on a sale process little shrimp? Unfortunately the powers that be won’t delay the start of the new season until a sale has gone through, so I don’t think it would be especially prudent to address these matters sequentially as you propose. It will be all hands to the pump on all fronts, I’m sure.

No, it's just hard to see any manager willing to take on the job at the moment with one player under contract, a transfer embargo that appears to also be hindering us in putting through contract extensions, and no budget for next season.

In terms of timescales for the sale, given the fiasco of the April wages and the point of critical mass this whole saga seems to be at - my guess would be that by the end of this month we'll either be sold/in the process of being sold, or in administration.

Jason's choice whether he makes a few million quid, even if it's not whatever ridiculous figure he's hoping for, or walks away with nothing while we get hit with a 12 point deduction.
Little Shrimp

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Fri May 03, 2024 4:30 pm

One thing a new manager will have is not having players who are past it or not good enough still at the club! A complete fresh start to his team!
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion