Played 29
Won 9
Drawn 6
Lost 14
For 39
Against 58
Points 33 / 87

Win percentage 29 %
but Gedball is more entertaining! Apparently. We really got entertained yesterday, then thoroughly enjoyed the saddest lap of honour I've seen. The players and especially the manager couldn't bare to look at us fans as they trudged round.
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Re: Record under Ged and Derek this season

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:19 am

We have never had it so good
BerlinWaller

Postby Martin » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:17 am

Redalert1970 wrote:DEREK`S LEAGUE RECORD

Played 16
Won 8
Drawn 3
Lost 5
For 25
Against 20
Points 27 / 48

Win percentage 50 %

GED`S LEAGUE RECORD

Played 29
Won 9
Drawn 6
Lost 14
For 39
Against 58
Points 33 / 87

Win percentage 29 %

Just as a matter of curiosity I looked at how the respective records would translate over the whole of the season.

So, If Derek were still in charge and kept up his early record our season would look like this:

Played 45
Won 23
Drawn 8
Lost 14
For 70
Against 56
Points 77 (-3) 74

Similarly, if Ged started this season as manager and maintained his record:

Played 45
Won 14
Drawn 9
Lost 22
For 61
Against 90
Points 51 (-3) 48

Purely arbitrary as all sorts of situations would arise, but it gives a very rough guide.
Martin

Postby vvm » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:27 am

So put it simply we’d be looking forward to the playoffs with a full season of Derek and just scraping survival with Ged. Appreciate he had a tough job on his hands but I’m really worried for next season.
vvm

Postby black morse » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:52 am

vvm wrote:So put it simply we’d be looking forward to the playoffs with a full season of Derek and just scraping survival with Ged. Appreciate he had a tough job on his hands but I’m really worried for next season.

The main thing that sways this comparison is that DA had an excellent holding midfielder in King and an excellent striker in Mellon plus having JJ and Moore fully fit. The likes of Garner and Larsson and even Adams lately do not compare. I know that the early loanees might not have returned to their clubs if DA has still been in charge but that is not Ged's fault.
black morse

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 am

black morse wrote:
vvm wrote:So put it simply we’d be looking forward to the playoffs with a full season of Derek and just scraping survival with Ged. Appreciate he had a tough job on his hands but I’m really worried for next season.

The main thing that sways this comparison is that DA had an excellent holding midfielder in King and an excellent striker in Mellon plus having JJ and Moore fully fit. The likes of Garner and Larsson and even Adams lately do not compare. I know that the early loanees might not have returned to their clubs if DA has still been in charge but that is not Ged's fault.

What if it was Ged's call to send the players on loan back and recruit his own players to replace them? I don't know if that is the case but he wasn't overly keen on playing them when he got the job. Who remembers the line up for the Swansea game?
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:13 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:What if it was Ged's call to send the players on loan back and recruit his own players to replace them? I don't know if that is the case but he wasn't overly keen on playing them when he got the job. Who remembers the line up for the Swansea game?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You really are clutching at straws now, in your campaign against Ged! He didn't play the players who he knew were going, because he needed to quickly try and build a team for the rest of the season! I can see it now, Ged comes in and the first thing he does is say, "right then Mr Mellon, I know you are our leading goalscorer, but I don't rate you, so I'm going to terminate your loan and send you back to Burnley" :lol: :lol: :lol:

King *might* have stayed if Derek had.
Derek wanted Mellon at Ross County, but Burnley said 'no' to him, so I think we can safely say Mellon was going, no matter what.
Shrewsbury recalled Bloxham to play for them in League One
Connolly recalled and playing in League One.
Mayor was going to be sold regardless.

The parent club have to give notice that they are recalling a player. From memory, that is two weeks notice, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Either way, by the time we played Swansea, Ged would know that those players were not going to be his for the rest of the season.

Add JJ, Love & Moore as long term injuries, and that meant a complete rebuild in one month, mid-season.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:22 pm

Keith wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:What if it was Ged's call to send the players on loan back and recruit his own players to replace them? I don't know if that is the case but he wasn't overly keen on playing them when he got the job. Who remembers the line up for the Swansea game?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You really are clutching at straws now, in your campaign against Ged! He didn't play the players who he knew were going, because he needed to quickly try and build a team for the rest of the season! I can see it now, Ged comes in and the first thing he does is say, "right then Mr Mellon, I know you are our leading goalscorer, but I don't rate you, so I'm going to terminate your loan and send you back to Burnley" :lol: :lol: :lol:

King *might* have stayed if Derek had.
Derek wanted Mellon at Ross County, but Burnley said 'no' to him, so I think we can safely say Mellon was going, no matter what.
Shrewsbury recalled Bloxham to play for them in League One
Connolly recalled and playing in League One.
Mayor was going to be sold regardless.

The parent club have to give notice that they are recalling a player. From memory, that is two weeks notice, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Either way, by the time we played Swansea, Ged would know that those players were not going to be his for the rest of the season.

Add JJ, Love & Moore as long term injuries, and that meant a complete rebuild in one month, mid-season.

It was only a question Keith, simmer down. Thanks for your reply, I presume with you being an unofficial club spokesman every word is true.
BerlinWaller

Postby vvm » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:20 pm

black morse wrote:

That’s a fair point and I agree it’s not his fault.

Even if we had lost all the loans then I’m sure Derek and Greg would have been able to recruit better replacements than what Ged got. Again, not his fault, he doesn’t have the same connections and experience that Derek has and overall I think he did better than we could have expected but I worry that might cost us this summer if we need to recruit an entirely new team yet again.
vvm

Postby KenH » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:05 am

vvm wrote:but I worry that might cost us this summer if we need to recruit an entirely new team yet again.

Speaking to someone very close to the club, it looks like a complete rebuild is going to be needed.

There have apparently been a couple of almighty foul ups with not understanding player contracts, whereby we've lost the right to trigger an extension clause, meaning a couple of the most influential players that we could have kept by triggering extensions are now off. These are both apparently scenarios where we needed to have started/played them for a specific number of games over a specific time period, but which because the manager/assistant manager didn't read the contracts properly, are now free to go, without any way of us holding onto them or selling them. In one case, the most potentially valuable player of the two, we are one game short (not clear whether he needed to start or just needed to play), of triggering the extension, where two more starts/plays are needed but we only have one game left! Doh!!

Another has been refusing to start so as not to allow his extension to be triggered as he doesn't want to stay, whatever is offered. That explains why he has been a regular off the bench when logic would have said for him to start. (Sounds like another Cole situation where he'd just not put the effort in if he was started against his wishes!).

Two more of our better players are out of contract and have made it clear they're off, not even waiting around to see what (or if) our contract offer will be.

There is a glimmer of hope with two more of the better ones, both indicating they're wanting to stay, one in particular we desperately need to stay, and things are looking good for that one as he's very motivated to stay, the other, again, someone we desperately need to stay, is a "probably".

So, out of our squad, we have, maybe 3 or 4 (counting Brown) who are likely to still be here for next season. Few, if any, of the others are staying apparently, and that's regardless of what happens with ownership, budget, etc. It's going to be another hard few months for a manager to build up an entirely new squad yet again.
KenH

Postby vvm » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 am

I think I heard that too about one needing to play a certain amount of games, Mckiernan was it?

Not sure where I read it recently but think one of the board let slip we have submitted paperwork for 2 more contracts that have been signed recently, an extra step we need to do because of the embargo apparently.

https://x.com/CassBen1/status/1781996036711485729

Not sure of their source but this tweet seems to back up some of those suggestions.
vvm

Postby redrobo » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:44 am

To be brutally frank I'm not particularly bothered if the bulk of the current team go walkies.

The defense has been a complete shambles even under DA who commented more than once that they were not doing their jobs by allowing the opposition too much space in the box. Look at the number of goals we've conceded by shots from inside the box where strikers have been given too much space.

As for who is the manager going forward I'm coming around to the belief that a good coach does not always become a good manager and therefore if GB has the chance to go back to Accy then so be it.

I've posted elsewhere that IF a new manager is needed then we need to look outside of current former EFL managerial cast offs and that would include JC despite the attraction.

Whoever comes in has to be prepared to build a relatively new squad excluding the very few that MIGHT stay. Of those who I'd like to see next season are goalkeeper Moore. Defenders Senior, Stokes and Tutonda. Midfield JJ but looks as though we've messed up on his contract.... and Forwards / Strikers Slew and Brown who has already agreed to put pen to paper. It's wishful thinking on my part that those above will all stay as i suspect Slew and Senior will be leaving to pastures new.

What will be....will be...BUT as long as we have a club and team support whatever league we are in my support will never ever die.....
redrobo

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:16 pm

Players come and go every season

Next season will be exactly the same
Redalert1970

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:19 am

KenH wrote:
vvm wrote:but I worry that might cost us this summer if we need to recruit an entirely new team yet again.

Speaking to someone very close to the club, it looks like a complete rebuild is going to be needed.

There have apparently been a couple of almighty foul ups with not understanding player contracts, whereby we've lost the right to trigger an extension clause, meaning a couple of the most influential players that we could have kept by triggering extensions are now off. These are both apparently scenarios where we needed to have started/played them for a specific number of games over a specific time period, but which because the manager/assistant manager didn't read the contracts properly, are now free to go, without any way of us holding onto them or selling them. In one case, the most potentially valuable player of the two, we are one game short (not clear whether he needed to start or just needed to play), of triggering the extension, where two more starts/plays are needed but we only have one game left! Doh!!

Another has been refusing to start so as not to allow his extension to be triggered as he doesn't want to stay, whatever is offered. That explains why he has been a regular off the bench when logic would have said for him to start. (Sounds like another Cole situation where he'd just not put the effort in if he was started against his wishes!).

Two more of our better players are out of contract and have made it clear they're off, not even waiting around to see what (or if) our contract offer will be.

There is a glimmer of hope with two more of the better ones, both indicating they're wanting to stay, one in particular we desperately need to stay, and things are looking good for that one as he's very motivated to stay, the other, again, someone we desperately need to stay, is a "probably".

So, out of our squad, we have, maybe 3 or 4 (counting Brown) who are likely to still be here for next season. Few, if any, of the others are staying apparently, and that's regardless of what happens with ownership, budget, etc. It's going to be another hard few months for a manager to build up an entirely new squad yet again.

We will probably find out who is going next week. The king had to release all those players a couple of days after the end of last season.

If a player is under 24 and we offer an improved contract does that mean we receive compensation if they sign for another club and are we able to offer improved contracts when under an embargo if it is still in place ?
Gone_Shrimping

Postby RedRedWine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:18 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:If a player is under 24 and we offer an improved contract does that mean we receive compensation if they sign for another club and are we able to offer improved contracts when under an embargo if it is still in place ?

Can we even offer improved terms, if we are operating under an embargo as is currently the case? What a mess.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby vvm » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm

[/quote]

We will probably find out who is going next week. The king had to release all those players a couple of days after the end of last season.

[/quote]

Remember the released list was out before we'd even got back from Exeter last season. Relegated on the Sunday and all but six players released on the Monday.

It was another 6 weeks until our first signing who I believe was Chris Stokes.
vvm

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm

Clubs under embargo can sign free agents up to a club maximum of 23 squad players because the FA deems this figure sufficient. 23 is the maximum including loans. New contracts can only be for a maximum of 12mths & loans for 6 mths. We can offer new contracts to existing players as part of the 23 but the wage figure might need approval of the FA. Geds main problem as it stands is being given a budget for next season as he can’t sign anyone until he knows what he’s got to spend and then comes the embargo
nobbyshrimp

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 pm

Surely if Jason was interested he would have sorted the playing budget for next season already
Redalert1970

Return to General Discussion