Sat 27 Apr H Walsall

Gillingham
7th Played 41 Points 60

Mon 1 Apr A Harrogate Town
Sat 6 Apr A Bradford City
Sat 13 Apr H Barrow
Sat 20 Apr A Mansfield Town
Sat 27 Apr H Doncaster Rovers
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Play Offs? The Run-In

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 pm

Crawley have 3 tricky away games coming up

With our poor home form we have 3 tricky home games

All teams seem to have a run then drop away... Last play off place between probably 6 or 7 clubs
Redalert1970

Postby Billy bodger » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 pm

We got the rub of the green at the end of the match today and that will be the deciding factor. I’ve always thought it will be a lower than usual points total to be 7th, 70 just might do it!! Can we get 4 wins and a draw? I’d be happier if it was 4 away and two games at home!!!
Billy bodger

Postby black morse » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:35 pm

What a difference one match can make. I think most of us had more or less given up on the play off chance but after the Accy performance....70 points is certainly achievable. However, Barrow game is crucial not only for 3 points but for the confidence it will give both players and fans. We need maximum numbers behind the boys from here on in if we are going to reach the play offs. It can be done and it won't be for lack of trying with this team.
black morse

Postby Angler1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:11 pm

Looking at the run ins , I think my 5p would be on Wimbledon to get the last play off spot.
Angler1

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:52 am

I reckon we will end up with 64-66 points
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:07 am

We need to beat Barrow, not draw, and definitely not lose, a win, it’s all cup finals now and this is so so important.
Billy bodger

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 am

Billy bodger wrote:it’s all cup finals now

Exactly what I was going to say. It will be a tough ask, but it is do-able.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:35 am

Keith wrote:
Billy bodger wrote:it’s all cup finals now

Exactly what I was going to say. It will be a tough ask, but it is do-able.

Perhaps we should as if we can play them at Wembley!!
Billy bodger

Postby black morse » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:48 pm

I think Crawley have the best chance to snatch the last place with us getting 70 points and still missing out but anything can happen.......and probably will :lol:
black morse

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:58 pm

black morse wrote:I think Crawley have the best chance to snatch the last place with us getting 70 points and still missing out but anything can happen.......and probably will :lol:

Crawley have to go to Wrexham and Mansfield, they also have Barrow at home and for me at the moment a tricky game away at Sutton, who have turned things around. I thought when they came to our place they played a lot better than some teams who have been at the Mazuma who took points off us, on the day we beat them but you could see they are a decent team.

We have a few tricky games as does everyone so it they who dare wins.
Billy bodger

Postby scalehallshrimp » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 pm

Morecambe
10th Played 40 Points 57

Mon 1 Apr H Barrow
Sat 6 Apr H Doncaster Rovers
Tue 9 Apr H Crewe Alexandra
Sat 13 Apr A Stockport County
Sat 20 Apr H Forest Green Rovers
Sat 27 Apr A Swindon Town

Crawley
9th Played 39 Points 59

Mon 1 Apr A Newport County
Sat 6 Apr A Mansfield Town
Tue 9 Apr A Wrexham
Sat 13 Apr H Colchester United
Tue 16 Apr H Barrow
Sat 20 Apr A Sutton United
Sat 27 Apr H Grimsby Town

AFC Wimbledon
8th Played 41 Points 59

Mon 1 Apr A Stockport County
Sat 6 Apr H Salford City
Sat 13 Apr A Swindon Town
Sat 20 Apr A Tranmere Rovers
Sat 27 Apr H Walsall

Gillingham
7th Played 41 Points 60

Mon 1 Apr A Harrogate Town
Sat 6 Apr A Bradford City
Sat 13 Apr H Barrow
Sat 20 Apr A Mansfield Town
Sat 27 Apr H Doncaster Rovers
but what about walsall also on 59 points with 2 games in hand on some clubs and 1 on us,still very much in the frame
scalehallshrimp

Postby al1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:53 pm

Do not forget we are still waiting for news regarding a possible points deduction!
al1

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:10 pm

al1 wrote:Do not forget we are still waiting for news regarding a possible points deduction!

Yes you’re right we are. We were told at the meeting with the BoD’s it would be mid March, so I don’t know what’s going on there!

The Club might not get punished but the owner might, it could be another fine, who knows, maybe they will deduct points from the beginning of next season.

All the team can do is play and try and win, that is the important thing at the moment, take each game as it comes.
Billy bodger

Postby jbc.shrimp » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:30 am

Billy bodger wrote:
al1 wrote:Do not forget we are still waiting for news regarding a possible points deduction!

Yes you’re right we are. We were told at the meeting with the BoD’s it would be mid March, so I don’t know what’s going on there!

The Club might not get punished but the owner might, it could be another fine, who knows, maybe they will deduct points from the beginning of next season.

All the team can do is play and try and win, that is the important thing at the moment, take each game as it comes.

Have I missed something. Somebody could have mentioned and I've missed it. Or has the deduction already happened.
jbc.shrimp

Postby vvm » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:09 am

Nice way to end a season this, much less gut wrenching than potential relegation.

I think it's entirely possible we could sneak in though but I'm not getting my hopes up. 4 out of 5 wins should be enough. Big ask.

Glass half empty - In our current state, I think we'd be an absolute disaster in league one next year
vvm

Postby RedRedWine » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:17 pm

This season we seem to have been bubbling along on the periphery throughout to be honest - just when you think that we've cracked it we have a few setbacks, and when we look deflated and down-and-out we'll get back on the horse - this is within games; stunning comebacks thrown in with some bewildering lapses, let alone a string of results!

It is good to get down to this point of the season and still have something to play for - after the performance at Salford and collapse against Gillingham I genuinely thought that was the beginning of the end, but fair player to the squad - who have claimed two memorable wins across bank holiday versus old foes which has put us back in the mixer.

To finish in the play-off positions we will need to put a run of wins together, hopefully with the bank holiday being the springboard for that. We will also need to improve our home-form significantly. Whilst performances have been good, results haven't mirrored that at the (former) fortress Camp Mazu of late. Under Ged our league at home reads:

P12 W3 D4 L5
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Morecambe v Barrow matches in the play offs.

:o :o :o :o

Don't think we are good enough for EFL1 YET.....but possibly after another EFL2 season.
redrobo

Postby red shrimp » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:24 am

[quote="redrobo"]Wouldn't be surprised if it was Morecambe v Barrow matches in the play offs.

Don't think we are good enough for EFL1 YET.....but possibly after another EFL2 season.[

The aim has to be the play offs and to gain promotion. All this " we're not ready or good enough for league one yet" is a load of rubbish. The financial gain of promotion is huge!

I have also seen a couple of fans saying they hope we don't get promotion because of the likes of Carlisle and Fleetwood coming down to league 2 next season, who cares, league one is where we need to be IMO, and being happy with staying in league 2 is an unambitious attitude.

I'd much prefer away days at Blackpool and Wigan more than Fleetwood and Carlisle!
red shrimp

Postby lancaster shrimp » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:22 am

red shrimp wrote:
redrobo wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if it was Morecambe v Barrow matches in the play offs.

Don't think we are good enough for EFL1 YET.....but possibly after another EFL2 season.[

The aim has to be the play offs and to gain promotion. All this " we're not ready or good enough for league one yet" is a load of rubbish. The financial gain of promotion is huge!

I have also seen a couple of fans saying they hope we don't get promotion because of the likes of Carlisle and Fleetwood coming down to league 2 next season, who cares, league one is where we need to be IMO, and being happy with staying in league 2 is an unambitious attitude.

I'd much prefer away days at Blackpool and Wigan more than Fleetwood and Carlisle!

Totally agree red shrimp. It's nice to be in this position in League 2 considering the amount of years of cr@p we put up with having been in relegation battles.
lancaster shrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:35 pm

I think any of the teams around the playoffs aside from MK Dons would probably struggle making the step up, although Barrow look like they've got the money to help try and bridge things.

Crawley the pick of the bunch from 5th below from what I've seen, although they certainly have a few weaknesses (Garner ran them ragged going in behind at their place).

Think it'd be a big struggle for us making the step up this season. Yes there are financial benefits from League One, but there's still a big financial gap that would be difficult to bridge right now. Would be good to see Ged having a full pre-season and a real crack at League Two, I'd be really excited to see what he could do.

Ultimately though, I think a lot of things do probably hinge on whether or not the sale gets sorted any time soon.
Little Shrimp

Postby vvm » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:38 pm

Obviously I'd snap your hand off for promotion but equally don't think I'll be too disappointed if we don't make it this year. Are the financial incentives of league one that massive? I'm sure the bigger crowds helped but did we see anything in terms of prize money for promotion\survival?

Doesn't help with the owner we've got but 2 years in league one don't seem to have had much impact on our long term financial position. We went up with the lowest budget and now we're back we have probably the lowest budget again. Or would it be even lower without those 2 years and we'd be talking nailed on relegation budget? Genuinely haven't got a clue.
vvm

Postby Keith » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:44 pm

I'd be happy for us to be a yo-yo club for a few seasons. Playing Ipswich, Derby & Sunderland as their peers was incredible. If I'd been told that, back in the late 1970's & '80, that we'd be doing that one day, I'd have thought you were barking mad! Plus, to go up, we'd have to chalk up another Wembley victory. That would make it worthwhile just for that!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby dougiewonga » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 pm

The hand-out from the EFL per team is approx 70% higher for EFL 1 Clubs than remaining where we are.
Most of the extra would be used up on player remuneration (Signing-On payments) and increased salaries.
We may even pay a couple of transfer fees and be really bold ? The club, if in a position to, has to be brave and relish the challenge of establishing ourselves in EFL 1. Accrington managed to stick in there for a spell, why not us ? We could also become a more attractive purchase for a buyer. These are good problems to have.
dougiewonga

Return to General Discussion