Being There in Spirit?

Being There in Spirit?

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

My wife's dad died in March 2013, and we scattered his ashes at the Calf of Man, which was his favourite spot. When we go there, sometimes she'll have a wander on her own and have a 'chat' with him, especially around the anniversary of his death. This doesn't make her sad, it's simply comforting to be 'near' him.

By my estimate, there are about 100 seats in the main stand that can't be sold due to restricted views. I've asked someone at the club for an actual figure, but I don't think that's too far out.

What if the club sold those seats to fans who have passed away? For example, £1,000 and it is their seat for five years? An 'after-life season ticket'? The person's name is engraved in to the chair, so it will remain even after five years. After this period, the seat can be sold again, and another name added. At the end of each season, there could be a multi-faith and/or secular ceremony, where ashes could be spread on the pitch. It would be a place for friends & family to remember their loved ones, especially as coming to football together is often multi-generational. A loved one at a game could smile to themselves as they glance at their dad (or whoever's) seat and think 'you'd have liked that goal' (or, more likely, 'you'd be going ballistic at the ref for THAT decision').

If we had twenty fans die each year who would want this to happen, or their families think it is a nice memorial to their loved ones, it would bring in £20,000 to the club, for seats that can't ever be used. Personally, I'd quite like the idea that I was counted in the 'attendance' figures at games, even after I'd died! The five years was just a figure that works for the maths. I know it is a lot of money for many people, so other ways may be appropriate. For example, if family ask for 'donations to a memoriam season ticket instead of flowers' at a funeral? Or, fans may consider this while still alive, as part of a funeral plan? Hold a funeral ceremony in the Local Choice Suite, and dedicate the chair at this event?

I know there is still ongoing discussions regarding the memorial garden that Quinny fundraised for a while ago, and hopefully that can be resolved soon. I don't see this as detracting from that project, but enhancing it, while simultaneously raising money for the club.

As a society, we're generally not very good at discussing death & dying, and with fewer people going to church, perhaps this would be a positive, lasting memorial for loved ones to visit in a more uplifting manner? And, support the club while doing so.

Thoughts?
Attachments
Calf of Man.jpg
Calf of Man.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 409 times
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Being There in Spirit?

Postby vvm » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

Sounds like a nice idea, had no idea we had 100 unusable seats. Not great planning from whoever designed the stadium, whereabouts are they? High up next to the boxes?

What you've suggested reminds me of a similar thing that other clubs have done where you get an engraved stone or brick that's a part or near the ground. An example below of what Liverpool did:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/cement ... ive-stones
vvm

Postby redrobo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

I'd go for that BUT not sure my family would agree UNLESS I changed by Will and made it a condition that had to be respected.

Just mentioned to my wife who 'politely' said she wasn't giving money to the club AND whoever designed the stand in question didn't do a very good job...
redrobo

Postby Freez » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

Whoever designed the stand originally was told to include 6 boxes, then PMG and AN Other added two on during construction, so not their fault at all. A little info goes a long way.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Freez wrote:Whoever designed the stand originally was told to include 6 boxes, then PMG and AN Other added two on during construction, so not their fault at all. A little info goes a long way.

As Freez says. But, also, we had to keep the unusable seats, after the additional boxes were shoehorned in, to meet the minimum number of seats required.

A life-size cut out of Freez, once he's shuffled off this mortal coil, sat in a crap view seat, with a speech bubble saying he'd rather be felting the shed. That's got to be worth a grand from his will.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion