Morecambe 2 [Slew, Brown] Gillingham 3 LIVE thread

Re: Morecambe 2 [Slew, Brown] Gillingham 3 LIVE thread

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:26 pm

Keith wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Expectations lowered but Ged is nicer than that horrible Derek Adams.

Aww, sweetie, stop pining. Your love has dumped you. Twice. I know you tried hard, but he never loved you back and was always looking for someone better to leave you for.

Dry your eyes and let him go.

You'll feel better for it.

Not even going to get involved with that one.

Expectations and standards, it seems.
BerlinWaller

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Keith wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Expectations lowered but Ged is nicer than that horrible Derek Adams.

Aww, sweetie, stop pining. Your love has dumped you. Twice. I know you tried hard, but he never loved you back and was always looking for someone better to leave you for.

Dry your eyes and let him go.

You'll feel better for it.

Not even going to get involved with that one.

Expectations and standards, it seems.
and Keith has a surrogate JB to adore
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby scalehallshrimp » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:36 pm

Very disappointing,whats happened from 4 games ago,looked OK then,certainly not now
scalehallshrimp

Postby glagys » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:38 pm

Really poor defending
Goalkeeper hard a bad day
But why do we push two defenders at either side of mair at goal kicks etc
Then pass to stokes or bedeau to pass back to mair to take two touches to pass back out to the defenders
Kick the bloody up the pitch or at least catch the pall and throw it out quick to start an attack
But I guess that must be down to the tactics that they have worked on :D
glagys

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:42 pm

Also why 2 holding midfielders especially at home
Redalert1970

Postby Billy bodger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:03 pm

Oh dear my last post never got through for what ever reason?
Not having a real go but once again another team not better than us go away with the points, they had a big lad up front who caused us problems but otherwise we had good periods in the game.
It’s the spine of the team the goalie, the dominant defender, the holding midfielder, the playmaker and the centre forward have not been good enough.
I like what Ged has done on the football front but without that spine performing well it’s not enough, you will get done over and it’s frustrating once again it’s by a team not any better than us.
It’s down to losing Moore, Rawson, JJ, King and Mellon. DA had them in his tenure, would he have done as well without them? More importantly what would Ged have done with them?
Billy bodger

Postby Billy bodger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:12 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Things will change cos most of the players probably won't be here

Ten contracts given out one signed!!!!! Not great seeing how long ago they were given out. They must be thinking of moving on or we cannot afford them.

It’s a start all over again I’m thinking for 24-25 season.
Billy bodger

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:18 pm

Ged said JJ and Love could be back in the squad over Easter

Surely can't expect to much from them as been out so so long
Redalert1970

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:30 pm

JJ only needs another game to trigger another 12months
BerlinWaller

Postby KenH » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:45 pm

What are they doing (or not) in training?

Our set pieces are shambolic, all this trying to be clever with short passes at both free kicks and corners, it never works. Keep it simple!! I thought Ged had said we'd been practicing??

We have no game management skills at all either. We just cause ourselves problems constantly with sloppy passing, lack of any real tactics.

I'd accept things if it was start of February and the new players were unfamiliar with each other and the older players, but it two months now, and some of them still don't seem to know what they're expected to do, don't know what others are capable of etc.

Ged surely can't continue - we're getting worse not better.
KenH

Postby Billy bodger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:56 pm

KenH wrote:What are they doing (or not) in training?

Our set pieces are shambolic, all this trying to be clever with short passes at both free kicks and corners, it never works. Keep it simple!! I thought Ged had said we'd been practicing??

We have no game management skills at all either. We just cause ourselves problems constantly with sloppy passing, lack of any real tactics.

I'd accept things if it was start of February and the new players were unfamiliar with each other and the older players, but it two months now, and some of them still don't seem to know what they're expected to do, don't know what others are capable of etc.

I take it you mean in both footballing terms and results. I give you results absolutely no arguments. In footballing terms I think it’s better than under DA. DA had Moore, Rawson, JJ, King and Mellon.
GED can continue, hopefully we get all those back and then you can judge him against DA.
Jury should be out, not to quick off the mark to say, Ged surely can't continue!
Billy bodger

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:18 pm

Agreed Ken. It is overcomplicated. He is trying to get us playing like Man City with his inverted full backs and playing out from the back. It looks really good at times but better Managers are soon sussing us out. It isn't better football because it is losing us games. The celebrity fans will try and convince us that it is better now than it was but it is bollocks. People will start voting with their feet and we will be back where we were 5yrs ago. The same lines they spouted back then are already being chucked about again now.
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:20 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

Agreed Ken. It is overcomplicated. He is trying to get us playing like Man City with his inverted full backs and playing out from the back. It looks really good at times but better Managers are soon sussing us out. It isn't better football because it is losing us games. The celebrity fans will try and convince us that it is better now than it was but it is bollocks. People will start voting with their feet and we will be back where we were 5yrs ago. The same lines they spouted back then are already being chucked about again now.

agree with you both.

i think Ged as only won 2 home games since Derek left, and fear crowds might start dwindling, like going back in time.
Andy D

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:34 pm

Ged had 7 league games with most of the players that Billy mentions (Moore excepted I think). They generated 1 win, 3 draws and 3 defeats, including a 5-0 defeat at Notts County.
shrimpsontoast

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 am

Khumbeni picked up his 5th yellow card against the Gills

Is that him now suspended
Redalert1970

Postby KenH » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 am

Andy D wrote:i think Ged as only won 2 home games since Derek left, and fear crowds might start dwindling, like going back in time.

They clearly are. Last night's highlights showed lots of empty red and white seats in blocks C, D and E. The front two levels of the home stand were pretty empty. Attendances ARE falling - it's clear to see.
KenH

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:00 am

Some great football played - different style but in terms of quality it was on a par with our promotion season. However, stinker of a day for Mair cost us.

Thought first half Gills caused a bit of trouble with crosses, but we appeared to have gotten a handle on that as the game went on. In complete control at 2-1 and did well to ride their initial wave of pressure after we went ahead in the second half. Sun/wind seemed to catch Mair out for their second, then guessing it was the first error playing on his mind when he spooned the kick.

Very frustrating, but there was some good stuff there that hopefully with a full pre-season and a little shake-up in personnel some of the defensive issues will be ironed out. Jake Taylor by the way - sensational player, absolutely ran the game. Do wish his body could hold up for more games.

And anyone comparing that to Bentley's football - give your heads a wobble. To paraphrase an iconic Derek moment, you have 'not got a clue about football' :lol:
Little Shrimp

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:17 am

Little shrimp I’m not sure anyone is making a comparison between the JB and GB playing styles.
shrimpsontoast

Postby ShrimpSandwich » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 am

Agree with everything you have written Little Shrimp. I like to see Charlie Brown in the starting lineup as for me he offers something a bit different, as evidenced yesterday. Jake had a great game making himself available to take the ball off of the centrebacks and Slew played well also. Clearly work to do to stem the goals conceded and this is the responsibility of the whole team, not solely the back four.

Don't really understand all the negativity on here; I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the team this season, home and away under both Derek and Ged. I like some of the patterns of play that Ged is trying to introduce and lets hope the ownership issue is resolved to enable him to continue building on this next season.
ShrimpSandwich

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:39 am

Long haul flight to BKK so missed this. Got to admit though it's a bit crazy how quickly the fanbase can turn on a manager after four bad results. IMO we were never going to make the playoffs when the loanees returned. I still think we will win a few in the last seven and the aim must be to finish in the top half, get injured contracted players some game time and start planning for next season. Ged has a big job recruiting this Summer
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 am

shrimpsontoast wrote:Ged had 7 league games with most of the players that Billy mentions (Moore excepted I think). They generated 1 win, 3 draws and 3 defeats, including a 5-0 defeat at Notts County.

I’ve just been checking those 7 league games that took us to Christmas. Moore missing the lot. Rawson missed 5 of those games. We collected 5 points!!

Last 4 games, Moore still out and Rawson not playing, We collected 0 points and let in 14 goals. The others did play, Mellon did carry an injury the last few games thou he played. Also it was becoming clear the loan players that where playing well were going to be recalled, did that affect their performance.

My point was about the spine of the team, it has to be constant with other player coming in and out cope with specific games. DA had that spine and in fact had a whole team playing well and didn’t tinker with it if he didn’t have to, the team was very consistent in type of play and getting results. We got 26 points out of 16 games, a big thanks to DA for that, before he once again jumped.

People are comparing Ged with DA and I feel it’s slightly unfair to do that. How would DA have coped with the injuries? The suspensions and the 5 loan players going back and having to rebuild at Christmas?

It is what it is, who knows? As I have said things need looking at because it is worrying, a bad run can go on and on. I have always thought we would fall just short with the above mentioned drawbacks Ged has had to deal with, but if it carry’s on as we are, we will fall well short and I think we are all just really deflated at the moment.

Back when I came to the occasional game I came to under Jim Bentley I sounder what was being posted on here, all the struggles you all went through must have been a real roller coaster!

When I then stated to be a season ticket holder and DA took over, Results wise DA did great, the style of football was not really for me, but hey ho.

We are all fans who have differing opinions and all want Morecambe to do well.
Billy bodger

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:37 am

The old expression "better to win the worst ever cup final 1-0 than to lose the best ever cup final 5-4" still holds true for me.

I go home feeling much happier when Morecambe have won 1-0 than been beaten in a 5 goal thriller !

IMHO the jury is still out on Ged as a manager. I feel he is a top coach but it is a huge difference to being a manager. There are 2 top managers out of work who both have Morecambe connections but we need new ownership soon !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:49 am

Westgate Wanderer wrote:
and Keith has a surrogate JB to adore

Other than this post, when was the last time I mentioned Jim Bentley? But the 'we love Derek' fan-boys massage him in to every conversation after we lose a game. Derek left us. Twice. If he returned, it would just be while he looks for something better. Dry your eyes, Derek has gone.

Now let's get behind Ged and give him some time to build his own team.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:23 am

I think we all agree that we played considerably better than the Sunday game and I thought we were on top in the second half after scoring our second. We were undone by 2 errors by a goalkeeper who has served us quite well since he's been here. That is the problem for a goalie....there is rarely anyone able to cover for your mistakes. Looking again at their second goal I think the sun was right in his eyes though I admit the third goal was a big mistake.

However, it's points that count and I think anyone who thinks we can now qualify for the play offs is living in dreamland. Let's be honest the vast majority of us would have taken a mid table finish at the start of the season, it's just that we've been knocking on the playoff door and we are naturally disappointed that it has slipped from our grasp.
black morse

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:15 pm

The keeper is at fault for the 2nd but having watched it again, where is the closing down? The lad has time to take a touch, move the ball and shoot without any pressure on the ball. Maybe a modern day expert can explain why that happens in the todays game but to me, it is school boy stuff.

The "analysts" must think we are thick, that we don't know what football is. It is that good to watch that the Shrimpvoices Gary Neville left the Salford game ten minutes early.
BerlinWaller

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion