Morecambe 2 [Slew, Brown] Gillingham 3 LIVE thread

Re: Morecambe 2 [Slew, Brown] Gillingham 3 LIVE thread

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:56 pm

Difficult to legislate for individual goal keeping errors, but the first goal conceded yesterday was as Sunday league as it gets. JB should have sprinted to close the lad down instead of giving him a nice invitation to make a pressure free cross and DT should have dropped in behind to cover him. I think it has been noted several times in recent weeks that we have to stop crosses at source, so how does someone explain that - maybe we aren’t fit enough? It’s really basic looking stuff.
shrimpsontoast

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:35 pm

Yeah second goal also looks bad as well, no-one took responsibility for closing the lad down. He could pick his spot. As it turns out he didn’t do that very well, but it didn’t matter. But on another day, he would have picked his spot and people on here wouldn’t be lazily attributing it to a goalkeeping error. Surely you have to defend on the basis that most league two players are going to panic and lose their composure when you sprint at them and put them under pressure (even premier league players panic when they are subject to an intense and sustained press). The thing to avoid is diving in and committing yourself.
shrimpsontoast

Postby red shrimp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:46 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Ged just been on Radio Lancs and says we are capable of winning the last 7 games

Not with that defence we won't

He is more delusional than I thought. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can’t buy a win at the moment but according to Ged we can win all our remaining game's.

He’s convincing nobody.
red shrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:45 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:There are 2 top managers out of work who both have Morecambe connections but we need new ownership soon !

Coleman? Absolutely not. I do not fancy watching him blow the budget on a squad of 35 in the hope that one of them might be another Colby Bishop. Probably could have tempted him when Derek left given that this feud with Holt has been going on for a while - think there's a reason why we didn't go for this. A brilliant manager who's done great things over the years, but I'm not convinced now.

Hopefully we can get Greg Strong back, should set us up for a decent summer if we get a few contracts sorted. Particularly interested to see what kind of centre back we go for - do we go for bigger units, or quicker more mobile ones, or a bit of both? Would love James Connolly back, although he's contracted till 2025 and Bristol Rovers paid a fee for him so I struggle to see it.
Little Shrimp

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:27 pm

Is Rawson back for the two Easter games? I’d like to see him up against Stockton, it would be a good duel.
Missed him yesterday with Gillingham’s centre forward winning most headers and layoffs. When he’s been out we have had 2 bad runs!!
Billy bodger

Postby Andy D » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:17 am

Little Shrimp wrote:
Hopefully we can get Greg Strong back, should set us up for a decent summer if we get a few contracts sorted. Particularly interested to see what kind of centre back we go for - do we go for bigger units, or quicker more mobile ones, or a bit of both? Would love James Connolly back, although he's contracted till 2025 and Bristol Rovers paid a fee for him so I struggle to see it.

this is the problem, for me Ged is instructing our defenders to play out from the back when we dont have defenders good enough on the ball(apart from Senior) and it’s costing us games.

id rather our central defenders be no nonsense one’s.
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:50 pm

Interesting how in the match commentary that it was noted that goalkeepers no longer wear caps to shield them from the sun if it is in their face.

It looked to me on the TV that their second goal was a case of our goalkeeper being blinded by the sun and therefore lost the balls path until it was too late.

No disrespect to our loanee between the sticks but the sooner our first choice is back the better for me.

Think Ged suggested that both he and JJ could feature over the Easter games at some point.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Andy D » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:00 pm

Mair is a better keeper than Smith, so i have a things could be worse attitude.
Andy D

Postby shrimpsontoast » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 pm

Caps are not great at keeping the sun out of your eyes when it is low. Maybe the best policy when the sun is setting over in the halo direction is to bust a gut to block all incoming shots.
shrimpsontoast

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:37 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:Caps are not great at keeping the sun out of your eyes when it is low. Maybe the best policy when the sun is setting over in the halo direction is to bust a gut to block all incoming shots.
You mean for our midfielders or defenders to close the attacker down? What a novel idea
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby KenH » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:34 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:Caps are not great at keeping the sun out of your eyes when it is low. Maybe the best policy when the sun is setting over in the halo direction is to bust a gut to block all incoming shots.

An ever better policy would be to change ends at the start of the game (if we have the choice) if we think that the sun is going to be a problem, as it often is at certain times of the year. Perhaps with having a new management/coaching team, they hadn't realised what a problem it can be. Though I'd have thought Barry would have flagged it up as he surely remembers the many times he called for a cap when he was suffering the low sun.

Pretty sure that we changed ends quite a few times maybe last year or the year before.
KenH

Previous

Return to General Discussion