For 22
Against 32

Points 17/36

DISCUSS

Personally shipped to many goals and home form is horrific
Redalert1970

Re: Geds 22 league games (so far)

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:34 pm

The usual suspects will be spinning that in to more anti Derek rubbish. Wait for the xg, style of play, transistion, counter attacking, low budget, who else could do a better job comments.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Serious question....Is Ged under contract for next season :?: :?: :?:

Sorry but the time to consider what we do going forward needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

Rumours of going for the cheap option seem to have some mileage....

Accy got rid of JC to give themselves time and room to appoint someone new. Lesson to be learnt there.

I just think Ged is too nice to be a ruthless manager which in EFL2 is what is needed.

Sincerely love for him to prove me wrong.
redrobo

Postby YellowBelly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:00 pm

Personally I think Ged has done an amazing job, he took over from chicken shit Derek who ran from us YET again, don't get me wrong Derek did to well for us then left. Then Ged had to find new players after our loan ones went back to their clubs, deal with injuries as well as all the crap going with ownership, on top of it all we're 3 points off play-offs and 21 points CLEAR of relegation.
Keep up the good work Ged & Team
YellowBelly

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:30 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:The usual suspects will be spinning that in to more anti Derek rubbish. Wait for the xg, style of play, transistion, counter attacking, low budget, who else could do a better job comments.

Berlin Wailer is posting his ' I luv Derek and hate everyone else' stuff again. We must have lost, because we never see him if we win.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:37 pm

Did anyone seriously expect Ged to set the world on fire? I think he's fine ok all things considered but a top half finish will be decent. Let's see where we will be at this time next season. His recruitment in the summer will be interesting
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:45 pm

Keith wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:The usual suspects will be spinning that in to more anti Derek rubbish. Wait for the xg, style of play, transistion, counter attacking, low budget, who else could do a better job comments.

Berlin Wailer is posting his ' I luv Derek and hate everyone else' stuff again. We must have lost, because we never see him if we win.

Did you do a funny there Keith? We did lose and we were shite. I think you started with the Derek stuff today matey. I stood and watched it mate, you can put your wannabe politician spin on it all you want.
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Shipping too many goals recently, we look a bit too nice for me.
Despite shooting ourselves in the foot quite frequently, we are amazingly still in the mix.
However, we aren’t good enough to progress, so to still be involved shows how tight this division is.
If we are still hanging around the play offs in April, it’s not been a bad season in my opinion.
2 managers, basically 2 very different teams, some injuries to influential players (agreed this happens to most clubs) and despite having an owner who wants out and no money, we aren’t looking down, which is a positive.
I get that we were shit today, last Tuesday was frustrating, and we look to be running out of steam, and it’s all a disappointment.
DA quit, second time, and GB is in his first job, so the jury is still out on his appointment. Is it really the end of the world???

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have one, criticising people for having one that is opposite to yours is fair game, but try’s and keep it civil peeps.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm

So by deducting Ged's 22 games from our stats it means Derek had 27 points from 16 games.

For me some of the recent results have rather papered over the cracks. We don't look very good at defending to put it politely. One 6 at Wrexham and two 5's are the tip of the iceberg.

Depending on how the ownership stands in the Summer maybe some changes are needed. There is a huge difference between being a manager and a coach.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 pm

Absolutely, contrary to conventional football wisdom, I think people need to look beyond the results and look at the performances overall. There have been some immense come back efforts to get us points, but you can’t rely on huge efforts like that week in week out (it’s not sustainable) and we haven’t won many points at all in a manner that I would describe as no fuss and comfortable. I think if a new league two season started now (maybe after a few weeks rest) with the same personnel at every club, we could be in trouble.
shrimpsontoast

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Bound to be a reaction after a performance like that, we made an out of confidence bottom 6 team look worldbeaters and the space they had on the flanks was unforgivable.
Hate going back to the hoofball and missing out the midfield and struggling to put passes together, can't blame the pitch for all of that and this week the referee either.

I'm sure the likes of Forest Green and Colchester would gladly swap positions.

Play like that in the next handful of crucial games and we will be joining them in the bottom half
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:12 pm

Obviously Forest Green and Colchester would swap places with us at this moment in time, but I think most people on here are starting to look ahead to next season.
shrimpsontoast

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:21 pm

In 2006 Colchester were 10th in the Championship, 61 places above us
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:26 pm

They did very well indeed to get there. Their average home attendance is lower than ours this season.
shrimpsontoast

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 pm

shrimpsontoast wrote:They did very well indeed to get there. Their average home attendance is lower than ours this season.

I think Morecambe are the only team Colchester have beaten since the Cowley Brothers took over managing them. That is worrying as they looked terrible on that day yet we didn't look like scoring.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Andy D » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:56 am

Freez wrote:Shipping too many goals recently,
we look a bit too nice for me

yeah, i watch the game from behind the dugout, and its like the players look at Ged more like a team mate, where as Derek they looked at like an Head Master and do we have a problem with discipline and paying attention under Ged in class so to speak?

i just remember the last time John Coleman was out of work after the Rochdale sacking, like a missed opportunity.
Andy D

Postby red shrimp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:37 pm

Ged Out , Coleman In!
red shrimp

Postby shrimpsontoast » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:08 pm

I realise that you probably say that in gest red shrimp but I don’t think anyone on here is proposing that at this moment in time, rather everyone is very much in jury is still out mode. But those of us who’ve watched an awful lot of football realise that if you start a league two season conceding an awful lot of goals you are probably in an awful lot of trouble. We haven’t looked reasonably solid in any game in a long time (I’m not sure it’s right for Freez to characterise defensive frailty as a recent problem, we’ve been consistently poor defending for quite a long time, it was an absolute miracle that we kept a clean sheet vs Crawley and they could and should have scored a few with the chances they had).
shrimpsontoast

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:39 pm

red shrimp wrote:Ged Out , Coleman In!

Not the appropriate time, if Coleman comes in as director of football fine, if not let him go to manage somewhere else.

You have to asses the season and with everything that’s gone on (we all know the list), if we fail to make the playoffs, it’s not the end of the world.

Can we still make the playoffs is the question at hand, even after 3 losses and the answer is still yes.

If not we start again next season and it will be another new team and it’s Ged that should be given that opportunity and its next season wether or not a call for Ged Out should be made, not now.
Billy bodger

Postby shrimpsontoast » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:48 pm

Forget the playoffs, no chance (but obviously I would be delighted to be proved wrong). I think for the remainder of the season we ought to play in the manner in which we would propose to start next season. See what we are letting ourselves in for. If that doesn’t look much different to what we’ve been seeing, then I’m concerned.
shrimpsontoast

Postby BHmfc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:51 pm

I think Ged is doing a great job under the circumstances, which we all know about, and I back him 100%. It's so easy to say he should be doing this,that and the other but why do people seem to forget that the club is broke and in so many respects we are punching above our weight. Disappointed with the performance on Sunday, but even more disappointed with the booing from some of our supporters on the final whistle. It reminded me of the final whistle at Barnsley last season when a small minority booed the players and Derek off the pitch. Support the club. support the players and support the manager, no matter what the result. I will be more than happy with a mid table finish this season and every season until we get the ownership farce sorted and start to get some real money coming into the club. As for John Coleman, he has been a great lower league manager over the years but I believe his style of management is no longer suited for today's younger players. I'm sure he will get another job in football, maybe more coaching rather than management, but not at Morecambe.
BHmfc

Postby shrimpsontoast » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:31 pm

Are the budget / behind the scenes goings on relevant factors when it comes to how you conduct the training sessions / motivate the players that you have / set the team up once the whistle blows on a Saturday afternoon? Often not helpful to conflate off field issues and on field issues.
shrimpsontoast

Postby BHmfc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 pm

I really do believe that budget and ownership issues have a massive impact on the day to day running of a football club, on and off the field. A low budget means that you have to restrict what you pay all staff, not just the players. You cannot afford to go out and buy players, hence the need for loan players which means the manager has to build two teams a season, one at the beginning of the campaign and one half way through a season when the loan players go back to their parent clubs which leads to having to bring in new loan players to complete the season. A low budget restricts the amount of coaching staff you can have, it also restricts the number of backroom staff you can employ, including physios, doctors, dietitians, performance analysts etc, etc. These are all staff that larger, wealthier clubs employ. A low budget also impacts on training facilities. Morecambe don't have their own and have to use the local college. Ownership issues also have an impact, would you rather work for a club, in any capacity, where there is a chance that you might not get paid or go and work at a club that has a stable and reliable owner.The list is endless but I will finish by saying that there is no coincidence that the three clubs currently topping the premiership are amongst three of the wealthiest clubs in the world.
BHmfc

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:11 pm

I thought Newcastle were mega rich, and Chelsea. Its not all about the money. Managers set the agenda with how teams play and players are supposed to carry out his ideas and plans.
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby BHmfc » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:24 pm

I don't agree WW. Do you really think Arteta, Klopp etc do everything, all the planning, match tactics, coaching, training, even picking the teams all by themselves. They don't, they have a massive team of backroom staff helping them. I think at the moment Ged has Fitz and Baz helping.
BHmfc

Next

Return to General Discussion