Credit Crunch Tuesday

Credit Crunch Tuesday

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Thats what they have named the Macclesfield v Accrington game. To tempt fans in they are selling tickets for a fiver, including a programme!, and doing the hospitality deal for £20 :!:

These are testing times for football clubs. This offer is a bargain for those that would have gone anyway and may attract a few floaters but does it make economic sense :roll:

They average just short of 2000 a game and bearing in mind its a midweek game with Champions League live on free TV they are obviously going to struggle. 2000 at £14 would net them £28000 so at a fiver they will need an attendance over 5000 :shock:

I don't think so somehow :roll:

http://www.mtfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 76,00.html
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Credit Crunch Tuesday

Postby sgt major » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:04 pm

I too think WE will struggle as all the Plastic Scouse Liverpool fans in this town will stay at home instead of supporting their HOMETOWN team.
sgt major

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 pm

not sure I agree with your numbers Marky, I think this game would struggle to attract 1,100. If 300 of these are kids and another 400 are season ticket holders, they probably only have 400 adults paying full price. They would probably take less than £9,000 on the night. By my estimate, they will need 1,800 paying on the night to almost break even (a few more to make up for the loss of programme sales) so about 2,500 crowd will be a break-even. It should attract more from Macclesfield than would otherwise go.

Factor in a 'feel good' by some of their regular, full price fans and the extra publicity and they may consider anything over 2,000 to be a success.

Its an interesting concept, I hope its a success for them and the fans appreciate it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:42 pm

How dare they!

Anyway, at least the gate on Tuesday will be propped up by Bury, who always travel in good numbers.

I think our crowds will increase during the run in.....we're climbing up the table which may attract some floaters who watch us when we are high up the table, and also we have some of the more localish games left against sides that will bring decent away followings.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 pm

Keith wrote:not sure I agree with your numbers Marky, I think this game would struggle to attract 1,100. If 300 of these are kids and another 400 are season ticket holders, they probably only have 400 adults paying full price. They would probably take less than £9,000 on the night. By my estimate, they will need 1,800 paying on the night to almost break even (a few more to make up for the loss of programme sales) so about 2,500 crowd will be a break-even. It should attract more from Macclesfield than would otherwise go.

Factor in a 'feel good' by some of their regular, full price fans and the extra publicity and they may consider anything over 2,000 to be a success.

Its an interesting concept, I hope its a success for them and the fans appreciate it.

Yes I know I was leaving myself unguarded to be shot down at dawn :lol: but I was simply highlighting the "concept". 1900+ is their average throughout the season, not on a Tuesday, and they would't have expected much more than 1200 for this fixture. I never like the idea of freebies to the under 16's unless they are with their "parents" cos it often leads them to run out of control (Oldham inparticular).

The season ticket thing is also a dodgy area as with these type of deals being flung around some of "us" will wonder is the advantage of having a season ticket being undermined :roll: Unless you drew a top team at home in the Cup of course 8-)

I see Brentford are one of the latest to offer a "discount bundle" for the last remaining games

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/Ticke ... 78,00.html
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:57 pm

RedRedWine wrote:How dare they!

Anyway, at least the gate on Tuesday will be propped up by Bury, who always travel in good numbers.

I think our crowds will increase during the run in.....we're climbing up the table which may attract some floaters who watch us when we are high up the table, and also we have some of the more localish games left against sides that will bring decent away followings.

http://www.themightyshakers.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=42057
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense if these Tuesday night games were played more in August and September when it is lighter and warmer and less chance of fans travelling hundreds of miles just to find the game has been postponed like recently and less chance of a back-log building up. :?:
parceldave

Postby marky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:11 pm

I must admit I did find this season's fixture list a little on the odd side, what with there being no midweek league games before late-October (the first one being an away trip to Brentford of all places!).
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:11 pm

If it wasn't for the Champions League we would have a big crowd for the Bury game. Now I think anything over 2000 would be good. Why don't the fixtures get arranged to avoid the big fixtures in a season? :roll:
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Wild Bill wrote:If it wasn't for the Champions League we would have a big crowd for the Bury game. Now I think anything over 2000 would be good. Why don't the fixtures get arranged to avoid the big fixtures in a season? :roll:

Been the same in every league we've been in, so nothing new.

When did the powers that be last think of the fans?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

You'll have to let us know what that says Marky, I'm not a member of the Bury messageboard (not as cool as you seemingly 8-) ) and can't access the site.
RedRedWine1

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:41 pm

parceldave wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense if these Tuesday night games were played more in August and September when it is lighter and warmer and less chance of fans travelling hundreds of miles just to find the game has been postponed like recently and less chance of a back-log building up. :?:

ooh, don't get me started!

Wild Bill wrote:If it wasn't for the Champions League we would have a big crowd for the Bury game. Now I think anything over 2000 would be good. Why don't the fixtures get arranged to avoid the big fixtures in a season? :roll:

ooh, don't get me started!

More games early on when weather is good, nights are light and interest is high, play "Champions League" games on a Monday... It's not rocket science...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:44 pm

can't see too many accy fans going even with a fantastic offer like that
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 am

RedRedWine wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:

You'll have to let us know what that says Marky, I'm not a member of the Bury messageboard (not as cool as you seemingly 8-) ) and can't access the site.

(not as cool as you seemingly 8-) .............. :shock: :lol: Lazy A****! some good quotes:

"Morcambe The Next Big Test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morcambe and ourselves are flying at the moment so lets fill that away end.
Its not far and its a pretty good end for atmosphere so how many do you think we can get there?
I apopreciate its alot of money but how often do we see Bury in a position like this? "

"I'm going. Bring on Code Green! " :lol:

"Tough game - they really are on a roll and play-offs in range. Interesting that the bookies odds make Morecambe slight favourites. "

"Its cheap to get in and only 1hr 20 away.
Anyway get the drums going and the singing started and you watch that roof come off. "

"Also reminds me of a lot of grounds in the 70s, really close to the pitch and some good banter with the players. Bentley was quite comical last year with the "you fat . . . . ." chant and the "get your . . . . out for the lads".
Remember their physio, big lad, getting loads of stick. "

"Its one of my favourite away games and wouldnt miss it for the world. To be honest If it came to it Id max out the visa "

"being a dump makes it have character and for me the better grounds to go to. Im not into this these fancy grounds like Darlo and Shrewsbury. Give me a covered terrace and my vocal chords anytime. "

"we should take 700 at least now especailly after yesterdays game"

It's not looking good for P.Vale either. Their Chairman is probably pulling out of the season ticket offer and is appealing for the fans to support the Club "now" rather than be "glory hunters" when a team is challenging at the top - How true is that :!:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 929147.stm

Postby steve mfc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Thats what they have named the Macclesfield v Accrington game. To tempt fans in they are selling tickets for a fiver, including a programme!, and doing the hospitality deal for £20 :!:

These are testing times for football clubs. This offer is a bargain for those that would have gone anyway and may attract a few floaters but does it make economic sense :roll:

They average just short of 2000 a game and bearing in mind its a midweek game with Champions League live on free TV they are obviously going to struggle. 2000 at £14 would net them £28000 so at a fiver they will need an attendance over 5000 :shock:

I don't think so somehow :roll:

http://www.mtfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 76,00.html

Only 1,746 turned up, just goes to show how hard it is to get people through the gates at the moment.
steve mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Yes hardly a success was it! 1746 x £5 = £8730. They would have only needed 600 ish at full price - and thats without programme sales!

Chester v Grimsby worked a bit better but only because of the free buses but its too little too late by the sounds of this :shock:

http://www.devachat.com/index.php?showtopic=54157
marky No.1

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 pm

Yes doesn't sound good for them although at least they migh get rid of Vaughan.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Gnasher » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Chester were doomed the day they held a minute's silence for the real money behind Vaughan.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:59 pm

The more we read and hear about rumblings at other clubs, it should make us all bloody grateful for what is coming our way for season 2010/2011 and thereafter.

OK so we messed up a wee bit re: the embargo, but out of that we seem to have gone from strength to strength.

Long may it continue.
:) :) :)
Last edited by Christies Child on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Howe Magic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Totally agree Neil this club as come a long long way over the past ten years and hopefully when the new ground is built the club will keep going forward....i must admit if we had someone in charge of our club like the one Chester have i would not go anywhere near the club - but yet again its the fans who suffer
Howe Magic

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:24 am

marky No.1

Return to General Discussion