Wembley 74 Celebration Dinner

Wembley 74 Celebration Dinner

Postby Freez » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 am

As many of you know, It’s 50 years since we won the FA Trophy at Wembley, beating Dartford 2-1 in front of 19,000 fans, come the end of April this year.
The club are holding a celebration dinner, and thanks to the Former Players Association, all surviving members of the team have been invited and confirmed their attendance.
This will take place in the Local Choice Suite at the Mazuma on FRIDAY 19th APRIL 2024 at 7.30pm.

Obviously there will be plenty of interest from the older fans who were present that day and tickets are available from the Club or online priced at £30 for a two course meal, guest speakers include Alan Kennedy, there will be film of the game shown, interviews with all the players and a chance to chat and share stories and memories of the day with all present.
So if you went by either of the special charter trains, on a corporation bus, a Battersbys coach or drove down, share your memories on here and we will collate them and maybe use them on the night. If you are present at the evening we may well interview you to share that precious memory, if it has a special meaning or something amusing.

Players attending are John Coates, Dave Mucker Pearson, Bob Bennett, Dave Roberts, Jimmy Sutton, Jeff Street, Steve Done, Keith Galley and Barry Kershaw.
Sadly Bob Baldwin, Tony Webber and Mally Richmond are no longer with us, but Bob’s son and Tony’s widow will be present to pay tribute to their family’s part on the triumphant day.

So if you fancy a nostalgic night out and a chance to meet some true Shrimps legends, please support this evening and make it a success. It would be great to see the place packed out and let these guys know just what they means to us as a club and fans.

Cheers, and please do leave your memories on this thread to get the mood going.
Freez
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Re: Wembley 74 Celebration Dinner

Postby redrobo » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:36 pm

If my ageing memory serves me well :o ( hell I was a stupid 23 year old at the time :lol: ) the trains were the old steam locomotives and I can remember sticking my head out of the carriage window as we approached both Lancaster and Bare Lane Stations along with quite a few others making one hell of a noise to wake up the locals on South Road to proclaim our historic victory.

On arrival back at the Prom Station I and a few others went to the former Slyne Lodge Barn Disco and made a real night of celebrations until the early hours of the morning when I finally called it a night and somehow found my way home to Forton thanks to my very patient and soon to be wife..... :D :D :D :D :D

On the day after I remember meeting the players coach just outside the University and like a few others followed the coach to Morecambe horns blaring until i was politely stopped by the Police for illegal use of my car horn, Fortunately the offices saw the funny side of it and let me off with a friendly word requesting me to stop it .....which I naturally followed..... ;) ;) ;)
redrobo

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:49 pm

First visit to the old Wembley and first visit to London for that matter. About 12 of us went down in the Morecambe High School minibus which had been commandeered by our sports teacher Mr Gibson (brilliant fella).
For a reason best known to Mr Gibson we left Morecambe at midnight and reached Wembley not long after 5am. For some reason Wembley was very quiet at that time. LOL. We therefore went for a tour of the sights of Central London. If you're going to do it in a vehicle 5:30am is probably the quietest and best time to do it!
Onto the game and no one gave us much chance against the Southern League champions but our lads did us proud and fair to say outplayed Dartford for a famous win. I think the trophy carried a lot more credence then than it seems to nowadays.
Post match entertainment was provided by some of East London's finest football hooligans who couldn't handle defeat and came round to our end for a face off against some of Morecambe and Lancaster's finest. Never since have I seen a Police horse galloping along a concourse under a stand and skittling a large group of fighting males in all directions. I guess that was the 70's for you.
Back to Morecambe and several thousand fans welcomed the team in an open top bus parade on the promenade. Happy days indeed!
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:29 pm

There was a special train to Euston Station which cost £5 return. £5 sounds cheap but was quite a chunk of money back then. From Euston it was tube to Wembley.

Tony Webber was IMHO one of Morecambe's greatest ever players and could have played league football but I think he was a school-teacher. He was incredible that day against a big spending Dartford team that included Graham Carr at full back , father of comedian Alan Carr. They also had a forward player called Danny Light who was another high profile signing from Crystal Palace.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:14 pm

Tony Webber was a teacher as was Mal Richmond- both sadly departed.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby captain sparkle » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:35 pm

redrobo wrote:If my ageing memory serves me well :o the trains were the old steam locomotives

:?

haha! Early in the morning we went into the triangle between Bare Lane & South Junction to 'spot' the trains on their way down.
Someone 'wanged' a full toilet roll out of the window (very spectacular!) & we thought it must have been a long way to go to London without any! :lol:

(Now my memory might be playing tricks!! :? ) After the event the open top bus came past us at my parents house on Westgate & we all cheered & waved our scarves! (which I still have, about 55 years old it is now! I think Pete J still has his too, )
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:55 pm

redrobo wrote:If my ageing memory serves me well the trains were the old steam locomotives

The last steam locomotive services were in Aug 68 Neil, so you may be thinking of the FACup trip to York in 1966.

Memories of the late Tony Parkinson, who was 'helpful' in sorting out the rogue Dartford fans ! :o :lol:
Alan

Postby redrobo » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:44 pm

Alan wrote:
redrobo wrote:If my ageing memory serves me well the trains were the old steam locomotives

The last steam locomotive services were in Aug 68 Neil, so you may be thinking of the FACup trip to York in 1966.

Memories of the late Tony Parkinson, who was 'helpful' in sorting out the rogue Dartford fans ! :o :lol:

Thanks for the correction. It was 50 years ago and my memory does play tricks with me......must have been a diesel loco..... :cry:
redrobo

Postby Freez » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:59 am

Going to bump this as would like a few more stories, Alan, FulwoodShrimp etc expand on your experiences please and anyone else?
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:32 pm

I think the players parade on the Open Top bus was the following Friday evening and the sun shone fortunately.

The bus came up Broadway and along the promenade to the Town Hall. The players and management came out on the Town Hall balcony with the trophy. My dad took his cine camera to the Town Hall but unfortunately the film has been lost over the years.

I think the number of fans on the route was estimated at 10,000.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Hodgie1978 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 pm

As you may have seen, the club is hosting a Memorial Dinner for the 1974 FA Trophy win with all the squad from the win attending this coming Friday.

We are giving away five pairs of tickets, and if you would be interested in entering the draw for them then please email us on shrimpstrust@gmail.com by 5pm tomorrow.(this is for members only)
Hodgie1978

Postby Freez » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:11 pm

Good work Hodgie.
If there is anyone going already who has a particular memory and wouldn’t mind sharing it either on here or on the night, as above, that would be very useful? Thanks in advance.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

I remember football was much more informal in74. John Kelly and I both knew Malcolm Richmond well as we were all teachers locally and we met outside the players dressing room at Wembley shortly before Malcolm went inside to change and score one of the goals. Malcolm also played cricket for Heysham and was a tidy left hand bat.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Freez » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 pm

Anyone on this thread attending on Friday??
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Freez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:01 pm

No?
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Shrimp Girl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 pm

Yes because I won the raffle :D
I wasn't up here then though. I was in Manchester being a United fan in 1974, so my main memory of that season is watching Denis Law score for Man City in the derby, and the reds getting relegated. But Sammy McIlroy was playing for United, so there's a sort of Morecambe connection...
Shrimp Girl

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm

I think if it had been priced differently the place would have been full and the bar takings would have more than made up for any shortfall on a lower ticket price.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 pm

I think the place is nearly full anyway tbf
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:58 pm

Freez wrote:I think the place is nearly full anyway tbf

Well let's hope so. The raffling of tickets etc gave the impression of sparse ticket purchase.

I hope that there will be plenty of photos etc of the occasion for those unable to make it for whatever reason.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:04 pm

I think that was the Trust buying a table then kindly offering the spaces to members from what I can gather.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby RedRedWine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I think if it had been priced differently the place would have been full and the bar takings would have more than made up for any shortfall on a lower ticket price.

Personally I think £30 for an event such as this, including a 2 course meal, is good value - what do you thing is reasonable?

I've not been to a sportsman's dinner for a while, but this is essentially the same thing - Alan Kennedy is the guest speaker. From memory such functions are similarly priced if not more expensive... I'm sure Gary Neville was £30 as was Neil Ruddock for Barry Roches testimonial... both a few years ago now. Granted, there's no comedian - but tbh I would happily pay more for Lester Crabtree to not be performing ;)

Unfortunately I am away at the weekend - hopefully it is a great evening
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm

RedRedWine wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:I think if it had been priced differently the place would have been full and the bar takings would have more than made up for any shortfall on a lower ticket price.

Personally I think £30 for an event such as this, including a 2 course meal, is good value - what do you thing is reasonable?

I've not been to a sportsman's dinner for a while, but this is essentially the same thing - Alan Kennedy is the guest speaker. From memory such functions are similarly priced if not more expensive... I'm sure Gary Neville was £30 as was Neil Ruddock for Barry Roches testimonial... both a few years ago now. Granted, there's no comedian - but tbh I would happily pay more for Lester Crabtree to not be performing ;)

Unfortunately I am away at the weekend - hopefully it is a great evening

Without knowing how many tickets have been sold for cash its difficult to say at this stage. I know the club website has been saying still tickets available.

Maybe £20 per person and get the room full and bouncing as I believe Alan Kennedy is a great after dinner speaker. A full room would have the bar till beeping like Supermarket Sweep !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

Is there a block on my post? :D
The room was almost full, and that was on Monday when the running order was put together?
Hopefully a busy and memorable night, with the tills ringing despite some people not attending as they are unhappy with the price?? :lol:
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

Freez wrote:Is there a block on my post? :D
The room was almost full, and that was on Monday when the running order was put together?
Hopefully a busy and memorable night, with the tills ringing despite some people not attending as they are unhappy with the price?? :lol:

The price wouldn't bother me being reasonably well-heeled but it may put some off. I am away and also unable to attend the thrashing of FGR but I hope that the evening is a great success and as mentioned hopefully some photos etc of the remaining Wembley Wizards would be very welcome.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm

Jack the club photographer is attending, and some of the team are guests of the club on Saturday also, so should be plenty about, hopefully.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Next

Return to General Discussion