Plastic waste and no recycling O/T

Plastic waste and no recycling O/T

Postby KenH » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:09 pm

The latest is that those buying soft drinks are having it poured into plastic glasses instead of being given the plastic bottle. That's doubling the amount of plastic waste, which of course, isn't recycled as there are no recycling facilities, all waste going into the same bins! Apparently it's because the new style bottles have "attached" lids which are hard to remove --- to encourage recycling!! Instead, due to lack of recycling, it's having the opposite effect at MFC. Given the increased awareness of environmental problems, it seems very remiss of the club to actually increase the volume of plastic waste!

Yes, I know it's not football related, but it's not good.
KenH

Re: Plastic waste and no recycling O/T

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:54 am

As I have 30 years in the Waste Disposal Industry, and who has experience of specifically the Morecambe FC Waste Disposal Contract, I'll jump in here if I may.

My previous employer in the Waste Industry (prior to them going bang....) had the contract for the disposal of waste from the Stadium, and, seperate wheelie bins were provided for plastic AND glass waste - both of which were segregated.

All glass bottles from the bar areas will currently still be going into specific glass bins, as will plastics, and as will cardboard waste.

For any plastics going into what is perceived as "general waste" bins, this waste is taken to an MRF (Materials Recovery Facility) where 100% of the waste is sorted and segregated by high tech and complex machinery and also manual handlers who man/lady the conveyabelts.

Plastics, glass and cardboard are seperated and processed for recycling, any NON recyclables are then bulked up and sent away for burning at an EFW Plant (Energy From Waste) which produces electricity for consumers and householders.

No waste of this type whatsoever goes to Landfill - Most companies have a Zero to Landfill Policy as standard.

It's annoying when watching the likes of Dragons Den and you hear entrepeneurs saying "and our packaging reduces landfill waste" because landfill nowadays is rarer than a decent refereeing performance. Hence why Salt Ayre Landfill and Cotestones Warton Landfill as examples both shut down and both sites are now covered over green areas.

And to see Deborah Meaden nodding and agreeing is unreal because she invested in a Waste Company !
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Dave (Barra) » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:24 am

KenH wrote:The latest is that those buying soft drinks are having it poured into plastic glasses instead of being given the plastic bottle. That's doubling the amount of plastic waste, which of course, isn't recycled as there are no recycling facilities, all waste going into the same bins! Apparently it's because the new style bottles have "attached" lids which are hard to remove --- to encourage recycling!! Instead, due to lack of recycling, it's having the opposite effect at MFC. Given the increased awareness of environmental problems, it seems very remiss of the club to actually increase the volume of plastic waste!

Yes, I know it's not football related, but it's not good.

Aye, I went to buy daughter a bottle of pop at the Noddy Cup game earlier this season and as it was being decanted into a pint pot was told it was for ‘safety’ reasons. I told them to forget it, rather than take something that was easier to spill in a crowd and would go flat quicker.

No other ground does it, ime.
Dave (Barra)

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:58 am

Seasider9601 wrote:As I have 30 years in the Waste Disposal Industry, and who has experience of specifically the Morecambe FC Waste Disposal Contract, I'll jump in here if I may.

My previous employer in the Waste Industry (prior to them going bang....) had the contract for the disposal of waste from the Stadium, and, seperate wheelie bins were provided for plastic AND glass waste - both of which were segregated.

All glass bottles from the bar areas will currently still be going into specific glass bins, as will plastics, and as will cardboard waste.

For any plastics going into what is perceived as "general waste" bins, this waste is taken to an MRF (Materials Recovery Facility) where 100% of the waste is sorted and segregated by high tech and complex machinery and also manual handlers who man/lady the conveyabelts.

Plastics, glass and cardboard are seperated and processed for recycling, any NON recyclables are then bulked up and sent away for burning at an EFW Plant (Energy From Waste) which produces electricity for consumers and householders.

No waste of this type whatsoever goes to Landfill - Most companies have a Zero to Landfill Policy as standard.

It's annoying when watching the likes of Dragons Den and you hear entrepeneurs saying "and our packaging reduces landfill waste" because landfill nowadays is rarer than a decent refereeing performance. Hence why Salt Ayre Landfill and Cotestones Warton Landfill as examples both shut down and both sites are now covered over green areas.

And to see Deborah Meaden nodding and agreeing is unreal because she invested in a Waste Company !

Talking rubbish again, Martin :)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:24 am

I'm an expert in my field, Mark !

Not so much waste disposal of late since TP went bust, in the scrap car industry now.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:59 pm

So when you go to the tip and the council workers are stressing out about what skip you use does that waste get sorted.

Also same with recycling boxes when the council won't take a box because one piece of stray cardboard has gone in the plastic box.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby KenH » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:03 am

Even if it is all recycled, surely it's better just not to use so much in the first place as it's still wasting resources? However you look at it, a plastic "glass" is being used completely unnecessarily. doubling up on the plastic, compared with just handing over the plastic bottle. Twice as much going into the bins/bags, twice as much being shifted to the recycling centre, twice as much power/labour to sort, twice as much power to shred and convert into pellets for re-use.
KenH

Return to General Discussion