Twitter account

Twitter account

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:38 pm

I've noticed a trend of our twitter account picking on a random opposition fan after a win and sharing their tweet to mock it. Normally some sort of negative tweet about Morecambe we can gloat about.

I'm probably just being over-sensitive, but I'm not a fan of that sort of "banter". It just feels like sore winners, and it can be harmful to encourage pile-ons. Our account has over 60,000 followers, it's unnecessary and unprofessional to pick on accounts with 100 or so, and inevitably causes our fans to follow and send replies. I'm all for banter between fans, but the official club twitter should be above that.

It doesn't seem to have caused problems so far so it might just be over-reaction, but we know how easily social media can turn sour. Why not just focus on our own positives after a win?
tim-sanchez

Re: Twitter account

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:27 am

This is just how social media works. They know negative triggers create more reactions so you see these pop up and you react. Horrible stuff really
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:17 am

tim-sanchez wrote:I've noticed a trend of our twitter account picking on a random opposition fan

When you say "our" Twitter account, do you mean an official Morecambe FC account, and the person doing the re-Tweet is someone acting in an official capacity? If so, that does sound pretty unprofessional. If it is a fans account, then I guess that's just a free for all? I have a Twitter account, but haven't looked at it for many months.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:39 am

Keith wrote:When you say "our" Twitter account, do you mean an official Morecambe FC account, and the person doing the re-Tweet is someone acting in an official capacity?

Yes, the official twitter account is doing this. I wouldn't really care what our fans get up to on twitter, but I do think our official account doing this is unprofessional.

I'm mostly concerned it's going to come back and bite us if the "banter" goes too far, or a fan doesn't take it well.

Here's the example from yesterday that led to my post: https://twitter.com/MorecambeFC/status/ ... 0917000225
tim-sanchez

Postby CityShrimp » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:00 am

It’s just how social media works these days - many large companies use their twitter accounts in this way.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. Whatever you post publicly on twitter is out there to the world and if you say critical/abusive things about an organisation then why shouldn’t they be able to have a ‘friendly’ pop back?
CityShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:14 am

It is normally in response to a negative tweet and is light hearted. I enjoy the interaction between clubs and fans on Twitter as long as it is in good humour.

Our Twitter account is pretty good these days, I like the way it mentions the travelling fans and the insight it gives us.

Maybe you are being a bit sensitive mate
BerlinWaller

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:48 am

tim-sanchez wrote:
Keith wrote:When you say "our" Twitter account, do you mean an official Morecambe FC account, and the person doing the re-Tweet is someone acting in an official capacity?

Yes, the official twitter account is doing this. I wouldn't really care what our fans get up to on twitter, but I do think our official account doing this is unprofessional.

I'm mostly concerned it's going to come back and bite us if the "banter" goes too far, or a fan doesn't take it well.

Here's the example from yesterday that led to my post: https://twitter.com/MorecambeFC/status/ ... 0917000225

Nothing inoffensive about the tweet at all it was a bit like a Big Labowski put down nothing more or nothing less, (hey ho, we went on to win the game, so it doesn’t really matter [good one Ged]), and to pinch a Big Labowski quote about your post on the offensive banter on X, Yeh? Well, you know, that’s just like uh, your opinion, man.
Billy bodger

Return to General Discussion