Won 2

Drawn 4

Lost 5

For 15

Against 24

Points 10 / 33

Yes we have lost the loan players but personally that's not a great return

Only 3 points from 18 at home since Ged come in

So frustrating as we have drawn with Mansfield and Stockport plus beaten Mk Dons

Inconsistency means we won't finish any better than mid table which most fans would have taken before season started
Last edited by Redalert1970 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redalert1970

Re: Ged's League Record

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:58 pm

Next season will be interesting when it comes to season ticket renewals. These poor home results wont be helping
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:36 pm

Derek did enough to keep us up this season.
BerlinWaller

Postby Relapsed_Shrimp » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:43 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Derek did enough to keep us up this season.

With a points deduction and performances like that, I hope your right
Relapsed_Shrimp

Postby Andy D » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:41 pm

just wondering after today is our honeymoon period over? and players don't fear Ged Brennan like Derek Adams?

Watching from C Prem Ged Garner in the first half shouted to Ged Brennan saying “they had 4 against our 3 ‘ at that attack, and Ged looked hearing at exactly what Garner said and never acknowledged Garner as if to say you cheeky so n so for trying to tell me my job??
Andy D

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Derek didn't do enough to keep us up last season.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:00 pm

Keith wrote:

1) Cole Stockton put in a transfer request a week before the season started, then downed tools for not getting a sideways move to Fleetwood.

2) Derek won x 2 relegation battles, 1 being after Jim left complaining about the budget then Derek going straight up in his first full season with a smaller squad.

3) Robinson jumping ship and Derek then winning his second relegation battle.

sorry to pee on your chips Keith ;)
Andy D

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pm

Honeymoon period is well and truly over

Quicker we get to 50 points the better

As long as we are still a league club next season that will be a bonus with everything going on
Redalert1970

Postby BHmfc » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Not wanting to sound like a stuck record but what do people realistically expect. One of the smallest clubs in the football league, one of the smallest, if not smallest budgets in the football league, which means we have NO money. Derek left at short notice, all our loan players left, including our top scorer. Ged then had to bring in replacement loan players and a couple of free agents at short notice and after a great result last week, we had Mayor out suspended and Senior out injured. Not a great game today but I won't be jumping over board because of one poor result. If we finish mid table, and I think we will, then all credit must go to Ged and his back room staff. PS I supported Derek 100% and his record here at MFC was exceptional, but he has gone so let's move forward and back Ged !00%. PPS even Derek got it wrong at times including the away games at Port Vale and Barnsley, I was there at both games and if you think today was bad try and get a copy of these two games....
BHmfc

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:30 am

Andy D wrote:
Keith wrote:

1) Cole Stockton put in a transfer request a week before the season started, then downed tools for not getting a sideways move to Fleetwood.

2) Derek won x 2 relegation battles, 1 being after Jim left complaining about the budget then Derek going straight up in his first full season with a smaller squad.

3) Robinson jumping ship and Derek then winning his second relegation battle.

sorry to pee on your chips Keith ;)

I agree that Derek did an exceptional job. I don't even blame him for jumping ship, as he knew there was another rebuilding exercise coming up this January. I have repeatedly lay a significant part of our relegation, at the sloth like feet of Sulky-Stockton.

It's the blinkered hero worship that I get tired with. Ged took over a mid-table side, then had the heart ripped out of it, and has had to rebuild. We need to give him time & support.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:16 am

The budget has been a convenient excuse for any manager of this club for a lot of years now. If you have the smallest budget, it’s unlikely that you will be able to assemble the strongest squad in the league. However, I feel absolutely sure that there must be scores and scores of footballers out there who (a) are perfectly good enough for league two; (b) can’t get consistent professional games elsewhere; and (c) would take a punt on a season that was not financially lucrative so as to put themselves in the shop window / simply enjoy playing football infront of fans. I always imagine a sort of pyramid of talent - for every 1 British player who is good enough to cut it in the premier league, there are say 2 who can cut it in the championship, 4 who can cut it in league one, 8 who can cut it in league two etc etc. There aren’t 8x as many clubs in league two so financial resources should become less of a factor as you move down the pyramid. Assuming that is correct, it ought to be perfectly possibly to put together a squad that is very capable of competing in every minute of every game in a league two season. Personally, that’s what I expect but on too many occasions in recent months we have been second best by quite a long way.
shrimpsontoast

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:39 am

BHmfc wrote:Not wanting to sound like a stuck record but what do people realistically expect. One of the smallest clubs in the football league, one of the smallest, if not smallest budgets in the football league, which means we have NO money. Derek left at short notice, all our loan players left, including our top scorer. Ged then had to bring in replacement loan players and a couple of free agents at short notice and after a great result last week, we had Mayor out suspended and Senior out injured. Not a great game today but I won't be jumping over board because of one poor result. If we finish mid table, and I think we will, then all credit must go to Ged and his back room staff. PS I supported Derek 100% and his record here at MFC was exceptional, but he has gone so let's move forward and back Ged !00%. PPS even Derek got it wrong at times including the away games at Port Vale and Barnsley, I was there at both games and if you think today was bad try and get a copy of these two games....

It is amazing how quickly expectations have shifted and the mentality changed.
BerlinWaller

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:42 am

Keith wrote:

I read this one because it didn't make my eyes bleed. I honestly think you and others were upset that Derek did well. I saw the exclusive group created where you all slagged Derek off when he returned, i will try and find the screenshots.

Try engaging with others Keith rather than just me. You lost all credibility with your " who would do a better job" comments a few years back.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:15 pm

BerlinWaller wrote: I honestly think you and others were upset that Derek did well. I saw the exclusive group created where you all slagged Derek off when he returned, i will try and find the screenshots.

Try engaging with others Keith rather than just me. You lost all credibility with your " who would do a better job" comments a few years back.

I look forward to seeing them when you find them.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:45 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Try engaging with others Keith rather than just me.

Funnily enough, I do engage with others. If you think I only respond to you, it is another delusion. It's your undying, uncritical, blinkered love of Derek that is what I generally reply to you about.

You said in another thread;

BerlinWaller wrote:It is amazing how quickly expectations have shifted and the mentality changed.

To most of us, it is 'reality' that has shifted. I'd include Derek in that. He could see the writing on the wall, so he jumped at a new opportunity. And, although he may now be regretting it, I don't blame him going.

Moore, Love, Senior, Mayor, King, JJ, Bloxham and leading goalscorer, Mellon were all missing yesterday, from the side that was doing well at the start of the season. That's eight players gone, or unavailable. What do you realistically expect?

Yesterday was appalling, but give them a few games, and I'm sure we'll be seeing an improvement.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:28 pm

Quote Keith...'the game was appalling'.....BUT give some credit to their management team who got their tactics spot on and neutralized us by constant pressure both on and off the ball PLUS when thet did have the ball they carried it forward with speed and fluidity.

As much as I detest the Cowley's (despite their claim via the Chief Steward that I was abusive to them which I strongly reject backed by all those around me) I give them credit for the way they managed the game nullifying us at every opportunity.

Since they took over at Colchester their record has been impressive and with the addition of some new players their current league position is a false one which I feel we underestimated them.
redrobo

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:22 pm

redrobo wrote:BUT give some credit to their management team who got their tactics spot on and neutralized us by constant pressure both on and off the ball PLUS when thet did have the ball they carried it forward with speed and fluidity.

Agreed, they did a job on us. First seven minutes, I thought we looked good. Then, they got on top and stayed there. Our penalty summed up our game generally.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby red shrimp » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:20 am

Redalert1970 wrote:Honeymoon period is well and truly over

As long as we are still a league club next season that will be a bonus with everything going on

What Honeymoon period?

Ged is Bentley in disguise and people can try and convince us otherwise but we are now on a steady decline with a novice PE teacher in charge. Won't be long until we are back to 1200 fans at home games, and it is down to the board and their serious lack of ambition in appointing Ged.

Wrong appointment that is going to cost us a lot of fans. Shame.

But hey, at least he smiles in interviews and fist pumps the fans after a rare victory!
red shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:47 am

red shrimp wrote:
Redalert1970 wrote:Honeymoon period is well and truly over

What Honeymoon period?

Ged is Bentley in disguise and people can try and convince us otherwise but we are now on a steady decline with a novice PE teacher in charge. Won't be long until we are back to 1200 fans at home games, and it is down to the board and their serious lack of ambition in appointing Ged.

Wrong appointment that is going to cost us a lot of fans. Shame.

But hey, at least he smiles in interviews and fist pumps the fans after a rare victory!

We were lucky to have Derek Adams as manager and after he left it's quite clear that whether its down to the salary or the prospects with no buyer in sight that no experienced manager was going to touch the job with a bargepole.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:02 am

Colchester sacked their manager and replaced him with two plus a new set of backroom staff, we simply aren't in a position to shell out that sort of outlay.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:52 am

Just out of interest, where do those who think we should've appointed an experienced manager think the money was coming from? Jason's obviously not going to fork out so what could the board do? As for 'Bentley in disguise', Ged plays a very different game to Jim.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 pm

Not the ideal start either Ged or ourselves wanted for his new career in management.....BUT let's judge him on what he does in building a new team during the close season.

DA has now gone and with him a style of play that many found dull but did bring us results and an excellent recruitment record.

Ged is his own man with his own ideas of how the game should be played. His results to date have been far from perfect particularly at home and tactically on Saturday he was out thought by an experienced duo who are well versed in the dark arts and on the day knew that a high press was likely to cause us problems and so it turned out.

Ged and his management team need our support through this time of adjustment. Let's wait until June /July to see what type of player he brings to the club before we start being too critical.

And as for the Jimbo reference......sad...very sad.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
redrobo

Postby Cisco Kid » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:59 pm

redrobo wrote:
As much as I detest the Cowley's (despite their claim via the Chief Steward that I was abusive to them which I strongly reject backed by all those around me) I give them credit for the way they managed the game nullifying us at every opportunity.

When you were leaning over the tunnel shouting at them at full time were you offering congratulations or sharing a recipe?
Cisco Kid

Postby red shrimp » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:11 pm

[quote="Phil Anderer"]Just out of interest, where do those who think we should've appointed an experienced manager think the money was coming from? Jason's obviously not going to fork out so what could the board do? As for 'Bentley in disguise', Ged plays a very different game to Jim.[/quote]

Both equally as clueless to be fair.
red shrimp

Postby red shrimp » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:13 pm

We were lucky to have Derek Adams as manager and after he left it's quite clear that whether its down to the salary or the prospects with no buyer in sight that [b]no experienced manager was going to touch the job with a bargepole.[/b][/quote]

50 applicants apparently, or was that another lie we were fed from above?
red shrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion