Proposed Demonstration

Proposed Demonstration

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:39 pm

I was invited to attend The Shrimps Trust's committee meeting to discuss the proposal for a demonstration. There was a constructive discussion about the idea, with some good points made. While nothing has been formally decided, The Trust had been in touch with the Police Liaison Officer (not called that now, but whoever it is from the police). They'd received a positive response from the police officer, asking for more information. The Trust are going to try to arrange a meeting with them to talk about the proposal. I've agreed to remain involved as this develops.

The Trust Committee were keen to explore whether there would be a cost implication if they are seen as formally organising an event that requires policing. If there is a [substantial] cost, then it would be better being an ad-hoc, 'supporters march', rather than 'The Trust'. However, if the logistics can be agreed and the cost is relatively low, for example, confined to paying for materials to make 'for sale' signs, then it may be an official Trust event.

It was thought that walking from the Town Hall to the ground may be a bit too far for some supporters. Starting at the Eric Morecambe statue, then along the promenade walk-way to Regent Road, then to the Mazuma would be preferable. People could join at different places if it suits them physically. Exact route and logistics would be discussed with the police.

It was interesting attending the meeting and listening to the broader agenda items. Anyone who isn't already a member, or let their membership lapse, please consider joining. Ten-pounds a year, to support the Trust, in supporting OUR club is money well spent.

I believe that it would be a 'demonstration' not a 'protest'.

A 'demonstration' of our frustrations.
A 'demonstration' that the club is for sale.
A 'demonstration' of our love for our club.

There were other issues that need to be considered, including, for example, an estimate of how many people would actually attend? The Trust will make their formal statement about this, but from my personal view, this was a useful conversation.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Proposed Demonstration

Postby Crazeenick » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:08 am

Well done Keith - sounds good.

I, for one, will join in a Demo if/when it happens.

Keep us all posted.

COYS
Crazeenick

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:23 am

If the Demo is to go ahead then the morning of the Wrexham game most certainly would be the best option, it might even make Tik Tok
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Billy bodger » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am

As I have stated before if a demonstration goes ahead (Wrexham match?) it would be bette if it was organised through the Shrimps Trust and that it was properly marshalled. To have an impact it would have to be well attended, for me you will need in the region of 300- 500 attendees, which is around at least 10-20% of the fan base.

I just wondered if anyone as heard anything about a Club statement or the proposed fans forum? It’s been a week!!
Billy bodger

Postby redrobo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:06 am

This is only my take on any demo.....

For me the demo must be based in front of the Maz where a petition could be signed by as many fans as possible and then presented to the EFL as a sign of our feelings.

A petition signed by the majority of fans both young and old would for me hold more weight than a demo walk from the prom to the Maz. Not everybody who has concerns about the lack of movement is willing for whatever reason to join a demo walk whereas a petition is far more easier for fans to show their concern.

The demo in front of the Maz could be videoed and posted on line as well as a copy sent to the EFL and to Bond Group to show them of our concern about the lack of apparent action in selling the club.

However there may be negotiations going on at the moment about a sale which we do not know about unless our BoDs make it public via the OWS.
redrobo

Postby black morse » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:59 am

~Thanks Keith. Great that the Trust has welcomed you to discuss your proposals. I think the important thing now is not to let things slide (unless some definite progress is made on ownership front) and I also think it is important that it's led by the Trust. It gives more control and authenticity. If the only thing that stops the Trust is the policing costs I'm happy to fund at least part of that. I'll wait to hear from the Trust.
black morse

Postby Old Man Kensey » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:26 am

redrobo wrote:This is only my take on any demo.....

For me the demo must be based in front of the Maz where a petition could be signed by as many fans as possible and then presented to the EFL as a sign of our feelings.

A petition signed by the majority of fans both young and old would for me hold more weight than a demo walk from the prom to the Maz. Not everybody who has concerns about the lack of movement is willing for whatever reason to join a demo walk whereas a petition is far more easier for fans to show their concern.

The demo in front of the Maz could be videoed and posted on line as well as a copy sent to the EFL and to Bond Group to show them of our concern about the lack of apparent action in selling the club.

However there may be negotiations going on at the moment about a sale which we do not know about unless our BoDs make it public via the OWS.

No reason you can't do both. The walk will end at the ground and give the opportunity to do all the above. It will also raise the profile locally for those locally who are not aware of our issues, a few 100 people walking down the road will get peoples attention. Just doing it purely outside the club wouldn't have that effect.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:53 am

Old Man Kensey wrote:Just doing it purely outside the club wouldn't have that effect.

Absolutely, you can hardly see the football club from the road now it has been surrounded by new buildings.
Can't even display a fixtures board any more :roll:
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:07 pm

I've no problem others having a demo march.....BUT for me a hundred or so on a march (at best) would have less media impact than 1000 outside the Maz....and it's the media impact that we need to get it posted nationwide and at the very least in the North West.

I'm not against a march
BUT unless it's in numbers then it could become an embarrassment and have a negative affect. Imagine a march with only a handful in attendance. :cry:

Whatever is decided i think we all agree that WE THE FANS need to support our BoDs in registering our contempt at the way the Bond Group are conducting any interest in a sale.
redrobo

Postby vvm » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:40 pm

It should be both, march to the stadium and then large demonstration outside of it. Should get a bit of attention, won't cause any trouble and can't see a reason why it would bring any fine onto the club.

It might have little impact but it's better than doing nothing.
vvm

Postby Andy D » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:21 pm

If Jason for example sacked the Board of Directors and people had gone weeks without being paid then so be it.

As things stand I'm staying cool.
Andy D

Postby outsider » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:02 pm

If something was done outside The Mazuma that would be on club land and open up the possibility of additional policing costs.
A march would end outside club land. Just my take on it.
A meeting is being arranged between The Trust and the Police next week.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:39 pm

redrobo wrote:For me the demo must be based in front of the Maz where a petition could be signed by as many fans as possible and then presented to the EFL as a sign of our feelings.

What would your petition state or demand?

Whittingham wants to sell.
The EFL want him to sell.
The board want him to sell.
We want him to sell.

But no one can force him to sell. The point of the 'demonstration' is, it doesn't make demands that can't be forced through.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Hodgie1978 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Latest from the Trust
Attachments
FB_IMG_1706386305703.jpg
FB_IMG_1706386305703.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Hodgie1978

Postby Hodgie1978 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:01 am

We are trying to gauge numbers of who are likely to attend .
Please let us know.
Hodgie1978

Postby deadorred70 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:24 am

ve owners who care about there club and our owner just not interested.I,m sure some one can word it better than me :roll:
deadorred70

Postby deadorred70 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:34 am

Most of my post seems to have got lost.In short tv eg Northwest tonight Granada about the haves and have not ,Wrexam owners who care, our owner not interested in club,some could put this accross better.
deadorred70

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:15 pm

Hodgie1978 wrote:We are trying to gauge numbers of who are likely to attend .
Please let us know.

89 say yes at the moment and only 5 say no. Quite a high percentage, certainly more than the Tories will get.
That's just the folk that have seen it or are able to post.
marky No.1

Postby twosheds » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:40 pm

Count me in...
twosheds

Postby elly » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:58 pm

count me in to
elly

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:47 am

As I've stated elsewhere, on the date proposed Mrs A and I will unfortunately be unable to attend, but best of luck if it goes ahead.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:35 pm

I intend to be at the meeting and as one of the promoters of a protest I will be interested in other suggestions as to what we can do. I am tired of hearing the line that Jason wants to sell. His price is clearly a high unrealistic one. His stance seems to be I’ll keep the club and watch it deteriorate unless I get offered a crazy price. I believe like Worcester Rugby Club we could fold and it is vital we all do what we can to save our beloved shrimps. The meeting is a start and let’s hear what fans think we should be doing. As I said in earlier posts we would never forgive ourselves if we stand by and do nothing and the worst happens!
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Hodgie1978 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Latest information
Attachments
FB_IMG_1707482791490.jpg
FB_IMG_1707482791490.jpg (57.83 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Hodgie1978

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:09 pm

I really think this is a good way forwards, as we're demonstrating in a positive manner. We'd all like to see the sale of the club resolved and Bond/Whittingham gone. However, protesting against Bond/Whittingham will make zero difference, as that is what he wants too, and no-one can force a sale for less than he thinks it is worth. And there is no point getting upset with the EFL as their hands are tied too.

This demonstration, carrying 'For Sale' signs and getting publicity is (in my opinion) a good way to publicise our position as well as our support for our club.

But, we will need to get numbers behind us. Fewer than a couple of hundred fans will not have any impact, so please, let's get behind The Trust and show support for the club!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:36 pm

Great that the march is going ahead. If anyone can get some Club for Sale posters/banners done I will put £100 in the pot. Lets have a good turnout and alert press and television to the march. At least by marching we are doing something, not sitting idly by as our club sinks.
fulwoodshrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion